Thread: BBC Future Technology-Sound

43XX (2235-2123-2450-2405-CC 3155)5235-4412-4406-4401-L250-18Ti-L40-S109 Aquarius lV-C38 (030) 305P MkII

They forgot one reason. Greed. The only audiophile manufacturer I am aware of that stated as honestly as he could that his product was expensive because it costs so much to produce was Robert Koch of Robert Koda in Japan.

Perhaps anyone who has ever considered anything with a silver C-Core transformer in it knew that already!

The feature is a good primer for the uninitiated.
    Information is not Knowledge; Knowledge is not Wisdom
    Too many audiophiles listen with their eyes instead of their ears

Curiousity!

I would be curious to hear those though...

Earlier this week I was attending the launch of the new BMW 7-series which showcases the optional Bowers & Wilkins "diamond" series car stereo system. One of the "innovations" presented to the audience was the lighted cones of the speakers the brightness of which can be controlled through a tablet built into the rear seat console. To impress the attending crowd with a hi-fi manufacturer they may not be familiar with, there was a lounge with the B&W Diamond 802s playing through Classe amps and an iPod Nano. Since no one was paying any attention to the 802s, later that evening I plugged in my iPod Classic with about 4,000 Lossless music files and cranked some Steely Dan "Cousin Dupree" through the system. I have to say the volume control on the Classe pre-amp/controller is pretty cool with its digital readout and flywheel feel. The little tubes at the back of the tweeter and HF drivers looked silly and the explanation in the article convinced me they're for looks rather than sound.

It was a good room but the speakers were only separated about three-feet even though I moved them a bit and played with toeing them in and out, so I'm sure that compromised the soundstage. Those with me weren't impressed with the bass response, expecting not to have to need a sub with $22k worth of speakers. Overall they were clean and crisp, about on-par with what I've come to expect from my JBL LSR305s—which cost me about $250, including their built-in amps! Looking up the Classe amp later a reviewer compared the $8k Chinese-made Classe to a $2k Emotiva, and preferred the Imotiva. Nothing I tried through the B&Ws impressed me as anywhere close to how my 4345s and bi-amped Crown PS-amps sound in my living room.

The B&W Diamond Surround Sound system is a $3400 option in the $100,000 BMW. I'd never considered lighted speaker cones in a car as a "must-have" option but then I'm hardly a prospect for a one-hundred-grand car, either. The full-body massage in the reclining rear seats was pretty nice as a passenger after seven-hours spent in the car. And it did handle and drive better than any car of its size ever has. Shaving several hundred pounds through the use of carbon fiber in the roof structure known as BMW's Carbon Core Technology is about the only innovation aimed at improving the driving experience. More fuss was made over the ability to select perfume flavors and introduce them into the ventilation system at the push of a button, something Mercedes has been offering in the new S-class already. Makes me love my "new" 2002 BMW 530i Sport Package car even more. Luxury cars seem to have jumped the shark, just like TOTL speakers.
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Quote Originally Posted by BMWCCA View Post
    Earlier this week I was attending the launch of the new BMW 7-series which showcases the optional Bowers & Wilkins "diamond" series car stereo system. One of the "innovations" presented to the audience was the lighted cones of the speakers the brightness of which can be controlled through a tablet built into the rear seat console. To impress the attending crowd with a hi-fi manufacturer they may not be familiar with, there was a lounge with the B&W Diamond 802s playing through Classe amps and an iPod Nano. Since no one was paying any attention to the 802s, later that evening I plugged in my iPod Classic with about 4,000 Lossless music files and cranked some Steely Dan "Cousin Dupree" through the system. I have to say the volume control on the Classe pre-amp/controller is pretty cool with its digital readout and flywheel feel. The little tubes at the back of the tweeter and HF drivers looked silly and the explanation in the article convinced me they're for looks rather than sound.

It was a good room but the speakers were only separated about three-feet even though I moved them a bit and played with toeing them in and out, so I'm sure that compromised the soundstage. Those with me weren't impressed with the bass response, expecting not to have to need a sub with $22k worth of speakers. Overall they were clean and crisp, about on-par with what I've come to expect from my JBL LSR305s—which cost me about $250, including their built-in amps! Looking up the Classe amp later a reviewer compared the $8k Chinese-made Classe to a $2k Emotiva, and preferred the Imotiva. Nothing I tried through the B&Ws impressed me as anywhere close to how my 4345s and bi-amped Crown PS-amps sound in my living room.

The B&W Diamond Surround Sound system is a $3400 option in the $100,000 BMW. I'd never considered lighted speaker cones in a car as a "must-have" option but then I'm hardly a prospect for a one-hundred-grand car, either. The full-body massage in the reclining rear seats was pretty nice as a passenger after seven-hours spent in the car. And it did handle and drive better than any car of its size ever has. Shaving several hundred pounds through the use of carbon fiber in the roof structure known as BMW's Carbon Core Technology is about the only innovation aimed at improving the driving experience. More fuss was made over the ability to select perfume flavors and introduce them into the ventilation system at the push of a button, something Mercedes has been offering in the new S-class already. Makes me love my "new" 2002 BMW 530i Sport Package car even more. Luxury cars seem to have jumped the shark, just like TOTL speakers.
    It is a very nice car indeed...
    But sound wise, do you think it's a generational thing? I have hard time to believe that those $25k speakers sounds more impressive than 4345 or 4355...

I really have to go there to check! They have semilar equipment...

http://www.stereoplus.com/en/detaill...age_parent=197

Quote Originally Posted by Ducatista47 View Post
    The feature is a good primer for the uninitiated.
    I think it is a pretty good overview description of what it takes to build a good pair of speakers and possibly educational even for some of the veterans out there. B&W and Harman are two of the more serious firms out there today.

Tubes on the backs of tweeters... it probably is better than simply putting a chunk of foam in front of the magnet. Is it a game changer? Probably not.

Widget

Thread Information