Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: JBL 4343 restoration, progress and quite possibly a lot of question along the way

That more or less covers the process. You do need to practice routing on scrap wood first to learn the ' feel' of the router in use. Direction of routing is important. For your own learning draw a diagram of the cutter , it's rotation , depth of cut direction of travel and think about the material removal and potential of tearout.

Cheers Rich

Quote Originally Posted by DingDing View Post
    Read the whole thread. Skill! They really turned out looking like vintage speakers with the treatment you did on them. Great work!

Thank you for documenting the process so thoroughly, more confident in dressing these babies up now, and will stick to the Titebond II method. Will ask Oakwood for some scraps for practice.

Attachment 67468

The veneer in front of them is the old I pulled btw. Saved it for use on smaller projects.
    Very nice clean up! You are racing!!!

If you apply the solid trim first, then veneer over that, then router the angle on it, is there a chance to see the tiny edge of the backing paper with the paper-backed veneer?

Never done it myself.

Quote Originally Posted by richluvsound View Post
    Apply glue with a small foam roller 3 coats on back of veneer and cabinet . Allow to dry to the touch between coats ..... iron on .... once the veneer cools its set ... go at your own pace .

You've all ready figured out how to avoid ripping the end grain out . sharp tools are a must ..
    Nice, then both speakers can be done in an afternoon. Thank you for the advice.

Quote Originally Posted by macaroonie View Post
    That more or less covers the process. You do need to practice routing on scrap wood first to learn the ' feel' of the router in use. Direction of routing is important. For your own learning draw a diagram of the cutter , it's rotation , depth of cut direction of travel and think about the material removal and potential of tearout.
    Done. So moving with the direction of the bit then, because then the blades cut towards what has already been cut and not against it. Maybe also try to cut with the grain if possible and always use some scraps on the ends.

Quote Originally Posted by Challenger604 View Post
    Very nice clean up! You are racing!!!
    Thank you, there are still small things being done, but they are close to ready for being dressed. Now waiting ensues as all parts need to be sourced and bought. Will replace all T-nuts with wooden inserts from EZ LOK for example. They are far superior to the T-nuts. Some of the T-nuts has also been lost in this pair and that was probably why the upper baffle was screwed in with self taping wood screws.

Quote Originally Posted by JeffW View Post
    If you apply the solid trim first, then veneer over that, then router the angle on it, is there a chance to see the tiny edge of the backing paper with the paper-backed veneer?

Never done it myself.
    Hmmmmmm, interesting observation. I don't think so, as the paper backing is very thin and you will also get a little bit of oil on it when finishing, probably making the exposed paper semi transparent.

Done. So moving with the direction of the bit then, because then the blades cut towards what has already been cut and not against it.

No , draw it till you get it.

Opportunity

Hey DingDing, Nice work on the restore!

I haven't been as fortunate as you as I [(?)still?] haven't "got" boxes as I figured after all the "measurements" I had - it still wasn't enough...

to be able to "build" some boxes from scratch and have them turn out like they were "original"...

So, I hope I am not too late in saying: "I hope you have made 'detailed' drawings of your boxes "while you had them apart" so others could benefit?" [Like me!!]

I am pretty sure I asked the same question about the distance from 'baffle face to trim edge'... I will endeavour to find what I was given, for you to check..

Good to see you are not rushing this. They will be wonderful when finished! Search the site too... there's an abundance of info here - but you gotta "look"...

DB

Quote Originally Posted by DogBox View Post
    Hey DingDing, Nice work on the restore!

I haven't been as fortunate as you as I [(?)still?] haven't "got" boxes as I figured after all the "measurements" I had - it still wasn't enough...

to be able to "build" some boxes from scratch and have them turn out like they were "original"...

So, I hope I am not too late in saying: "I hope you have made 'detailed' drawings of your boxes "while you had them apart" so others could benefit?" [Like me!!]

I am pretty sure I asked the same question about the distance from 'baffle face to trim edge'... I will endeavour to find what I was given, for you to check..

Good to see you are not rushing this. They will be wonderful when finished! Search the site too... there's an abundance of info here - but you gotta "look"...

DB
    Hello,
    I will gladly make detailed plans of 4343 available for everyone. Not a savvy user of Autocad or any other advanced modeling software, but I can make a model with the true dimensions in Sketchup and make it available through the forums, no problem.

Good Work

Congrats DingDing!

Very impressive work till now. Nice to see these Speakers back in action.

Hello, Guido

Thank you for the kind words. It's not up there with building a pair of Everest clones from scratch but it's a humble beginning, haha.

I'm sure your charge coupled crossover networks are a big part of the magic. They sound super clean and dynamic. Hopefully they will look the part too.

What a Man!

Hello,
    I will gladly make detailed plans of 4343 available for everyone....but I can make a model with the true dimensions in Sketchup and make it available through the forums, no problem.
    Bless You! man, Bless You!

Weird things like: How far up does that front baffle that you can't remove [leave it there!] come & sizes of the removeable one,...sizes of bracing used, - so as to

"re-create" a Cabinet with all its 'foibles'.. if that's what you want to do [I know some don't, well...?]

It can go into the cool Information on the 4343 that H. James has put together! Have you had a look through that? She's done a fine job!

And you will make A LOT of people VERY HAPPY INDEED!!!

Really appreciate the effort!!

DB
    [Steve]

Quote Originally Posted by DogBox View Post
    Bless You! man, Bless You!

Weird things like: How far up does that front baffle that you can't remove [leave it there!] come & sizes of the removeable one,...sizes of bracing used, - so as to

"re-create" a Cabinet with all its 'foibles'.. if that's what you want to do [I know some don't, well...?]

It can go into the cool Information on the 4343 that H. James has put together! Have you had a look through that? She's done a fine job!

And you will make A LOT of people VERY HAPPY INDEED!!!

Really appreciate the effort!!

DB
    [Steve]
    Already working on the plans but can't say for sure when they're done. May need some help with identifying screws as I'm used to the metric standard and UNC is driving me up the wall, haha. Some screws are due for replacement and it would be nice if we could find suppliers. KenRick Sound has some screws, but they are quite expensive and it's not all of them.

Maybe someone could help us make vector graphics of the back panel silk screen / foilcal where the terminals goes too? I can provide pictures. If nobody in here is up to the task I can try to find someone on fiverr.com that can do it for us.

To get some help with details I will make a new thread where people can help out, and when the plans are done we could ask if they could be put into the 4343 reference thread H. James has made. Have to agree that the thread is really nice. Have been reading it a number of times.

* I'm taking measurements of the utility version now, but once we figure out the exact front panel trim etc for the walnut version we can have separate plans for them. I'll try to get in touch with people selling them to ask if they can measure for us.

Working on model while waiting for veneer

Veneer is on the way and the model is beginning to take shape.

Name:  4343-modeling.jpg
Views: 2373
Size:  60.4 KB

I think JBL has routed a grove for the lower baffle in the side panels and the bottom. Will make note of that so people can replicate it. Not sure how deep those grooves are, maybe 1/3" or somewhere around there. The corners are also not just 45 degrees but have a lock miter joint. I will make the model without these details as I'm not skilled enough to model it, but will take pictures and make notes of it together with the plans.

Great thread

Have to agree

... * I'm taking measurements of the utility version now, but once we figure out the exact front panel trim etc for the walnut version we can have separate plans for them. I'll try to get in touch with people selling them to ask if they can measure for us.
    A bit late to the party, anyway I have walnut 4343s. Maybe these pics will help

Name:  Screenshot 4343 front details.jpg
Views: 3046
Size:  53.9 KB

I did these once for Hardy aka Düse here at LH, another member who has veneered 4341 uitility cabs a while back. If you want the fullsize pics or need more dimensions let me know.

Do you consider building grilles? If so you could have a look here..

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...l=1#post100805

Cheers

Already working on the plans but can't say for sure when they're done. May need some help with identifying screws as I'm used to the metric standard and UNC is driving me up the wall, haha. Some screws are due for replacement and it would be nice if we could find suppliers. KenRick Sound has some screws, but they are quite expensive and it's not all of them.

Maybe someone could help us make vector graphics of the back panel silk screen / foilcal where the terminals goes too? I can provide pictures. If nobody in here is up to the task I can try to find someone on fiverr.com that can do it for us.

To get some help with details I will make a new thread where people can help out, and when the plans are done we could ask if they could be put into the 4343 reference thread H. James has made. Have to agree that the thread is really nice. Have been reading it a number of times.

* I'm taking measurements of the utility version now, but once we figure out the exact front panel trim etc for the walnut version we can have separate plans for them. I'll try to get in touch with people selling them to ask if they can measure for us.
    Hi DingDing,

Nice work has been done.
    After Your CAD work, we would have 'fabulous 4343' DIY documentation.
    Do You plan to do any measurements?
    I am especially interesting in the bass response, measured very near the dist cap, and port response too.

Is there any idea why JBL on the 4344 model placed ports between bass and mid-bass drivers, while on 4343 ports are at the bottom?

regards
    ivica

Thread Information