Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best horn for JBL 2450 2"

Best horn for JBL 2450 2"

I would Like the members advice on which 2" entry horn they like best.

It is possible here in Europe to obtain Yuichi A290 S horn also Auto-Tech in Poland makes some nice horns, the E- JMLC 300 of Iwata 300 look very good.

This is a big investment for me the E-JMLC are some £700/pair so some advice before spending money would be appreciated.

I am intending to put beryllium diaphragms into the JBL 2450 when funds allow.

Your question does not have a simple answer… What are the other design parameters of your system, and what type of playback are you trying to achieve? What is your listening room like? Do you prefer imaging or accuracy?

Widget

If I lived in Europe I'd order horns from auto-tech in a heart beat. They make so many different kinds of horn you should be able to find something that will work with your system. But I will say that I've heard from other source that the round le cleach horns and the tractrix horns are laser beams of white hot sound. But I haven't any personal experience with them. I highly doubt you would have that issue with the iwata horns though.

Nicks

Quote Originally Posted by David Ketley View Post

It is possible here in Europe to obtain Yuichi A290 S horn also Auto-Tech in Poland makes some nice horns, the E- JMLC 300 of Iwata 300 look very good.

This is a big investment for me the E-JMLC are some £700/pair so some advice before spending money would be appreciated.

Hi David,

may be the best I know for JBL 2"

http://www.ebay.de/itm/DIY-YUICHI-A2...item1a05e78cd9
    http://www.ebay.de/itm/DIY-YUICHI-A2...item1a06759279

not to mention 2311 & 2308, 2350,

regards
    ivica

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post
    Your question does not have a simple answer… What are the other design parameters of your system, and what type of playback are you trying to achieve? What is your listening room like? Do you prefer imaging or accuracy?

Widget
    I guess widget you are saying it’s a compromise like so much in the audio world.
    The room is 20 feet x 20 feet with a large opening giving a total of 35 feet by 20 feet loading the 2245s.
    The listening room is in the apex of the roof with a high sloping ceiling each side and stone slates on the roof.
    The system is 4 way JBL 2245, 2123, 2450 and 2405.
    Crossing at 260hz, 1600hz and 9000hz.
    The build was designed to align the drivers as tight as possible vertically but physically time aligning them so very long horns could be a problem with the overhang forwards to align them.
    Not sure what you mean by “what sort of playback do you want to achieve” I would say clarity and fidelity over pure power, the drivers as very sensitive anyway.
    It’s a pity the choice is imaging OR accuracy both would be very good!

Quote Originally Posted by ivica View Post
    Hi David,

may be the best I know for JBL 2"

http://www.ebay.de/itm/DIY-YUICHI-A2...item1a05e78cd9
    http://www.ebay.de/itm/DIY-YUICHI-A2...item1a06759279

not to mention 2311 & 2308, 2350,

regards
    ivica
    Dear Ivica what are your horns made of? Are there any choices of materials eg hardwood rather than ply? You always seem to post these saying there are imperfections do you make some 100%?

Regards

Dave

At the moment the chice is between Iwata 2" or FOSTEX H 220 .

As we at present touring Italy with a caravan we find ourselves not too far from some good horn builders but as we are moving on any comments would be well recived.

Thanks

Dave

Dear Ivica what are your horns made of? Are there any choices of materials eg hardwood rather than ply? You always seem to post these saying there are imperfections do you make some 100%?

Regards

Dave
    Hi David,

Unfortunately, these horns are not mine, I will be very happy them to be mine. I have seen them on ebay.com, that are offered from Europe-Rumunia. All the data are written on the ebay offer. From several different sides I have heard that A290 with JBL sound nice. I think some of the forum member can give much more info.
    I have 2311 & 2308, whose most of the forum member do not like....

regards
    ivica

Hi David , when you take into account the £££ of the Be dia's and the possible cost of exotic horns and also that you are only using the horn from 1.6KHz I would suggest that you get on the train and get some D2 drivers and the M2 throat. Pos got his into France without any hassle. I think you would come out ahead on the £££ front and on the sonic wonderfulness front too.
    You are using DSP to run all this ?

While we are on this topic, I'm wondering if anyone has heard the Emilar EH500 horns with 2450s. Is that a good combination?

Had those horns on 2446s for awhile, but got distracted before dialing them in.
    Lots of potential there. I may try again in a few weeks in place of 2450/2350.
    At least one other fan here

Quote Originally Posted by Don C View Post
    While we are on this topic, I'm wondering if anyone has heard the Emilar EH500 horns with 2450s. Is that a good combination?
    Yes and yes. Add a pair of 475ND diaphragms to the 2450's for a killer budget HF system.

Barry.
    If we knew what the hell we were doing, we wouldn't call it research would we.

Just an idea.

Remove the snout and connect to the new VTX F12/F15 1,5" horns using an adapter plate that you drill to use the same mounts as the snout. (Ie non standard horn bolt circle)

I can send my drawing if of interest.

Imho the new waveguides sound smoother without loosing anything really, compared to the other horns I have hade the chance to audition. Rather close to the M2 acctually.

The VTX F12 waveguide can be bought from SE. It measures excellent on the 2451/2450SL/2451BE. No reason why it should not work very well on the 2450 without the snout I guess.

Best regards
    //RoB
    The solution to the problem changes the problem.
    -And always remember that all of your equipment was made by the lowest bidder

I have heard them with 2441. Very nice horns.

I would go for EJMLC-300, http://horns-diy.pl/horns/e-jmlc/e-jmlc-300/, using an alu or coated ti diaphragm and a supertweeter.

Or an JMLC-200T, http://horns-diy.pl/horns/jmlc/jmlc-200t/, with a Radian diaphragm, and above that a EJMLC-1000, http://horns-diy.pl/horns/e-jmlc/e-jmlc-1000/, with a one inch driver.

Mårten

I guess widget you are saying it’s a compromise like so much in the audio world.
    Seems like you have a lot of choices. The band you want to cover is narrow enough that a lot of horns will do well and your room large enough that with reflection control you can even expect excellent results with the 2397/2328 combo.

Widget

Thread Information