Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Altec Model 19 -- The Real Deal?

Altec Model 19 -- The Real Deal?

Saw these this AM on that dreadful auction site. Look to be outstanding examples, but what do I know?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/111683590929...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

My main question relates to the surrounds. I seem to recall some concern with foam surrounds on this model. These look to have a sort of 'doped' folded surround. Does that indicate a later model?

I know it's hard to get much detail from the photos.

Just curious, because if I were to see these 'in the flesh', the surrounds would be the only detail to give me 'pause' -- provided they sounded terrific.

Greg

Those woofers are correct. The foam users talk about are on either side of the horn. Also when buying them, look down the horn throat and make sure the phase plug is orange to be sure someone didn't swap out the drivers. I've seen 802-8G's do $800 on the auction site.

Name:  19.jpg
Views: 1226
Size:  14.8 KB

8K seems a little high, you should be able to find them for under 2K.

Quote Originally Posted by srm51555 View Post
    Those woofers are correct. The foam users talk about are on either side of the horn. Also when buying them, look down the horn throat and make sure the phase plug is orange to be sure someone didn't swap out the drivers. I've seen 802-8G's do $800 on the auction site.

Name:  19.jpg
Views: 1226
Size:  14.8 KB

8K seems a little high, you should be able to find them for under 2K.
    A huge amount of insight/education in a few words! Thank you, sir.

The photo: In your system?

Greg

I purchased this foam for a pair of 19's I used to have. I'm not sure if they still sell it, but hopefully it's a helpful lead. http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/detai...ltec_19_horns/

Quote Originally Posted by cgregory4 View Post
    A huge amount of insight/education in a few words! Thank you, sir.

The photo: In your system?

Greg
    Glad I could help. If you do get a pair be sure to check crossover grounding, there is a tutorial either on here, AK, or the Altec hostboard that explains how over time corrosion lifts the ground. Those aren't mine, but about the same condition.

Quote Originally Posted by svollmer View Post
    I purchased this foam for a pair of 19's I used to have. I'm not sure if they still sell it, but hopefully it's a helpful lead. http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/detai...ltec_19_horns/
    Thanks for the link.

Quote Originally Posted by svollmer View Post
    Thank you, sir, for the link.

BTW, doesn't squirrel season start soon? Looks like the dog is primed!

Thank you, sir, for the link.

BTW, doesn't squirrel season start soon? Looks like the dog is primed!
    Yep, she's always ready. But...she's a little too slow. But, she still loves the chase!

Sorry, but 8k is just stupid high for a a pair of 19's.This is what they really sell for: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Altec-model-...p2047675.l2557

Quote Originally Posted by audiomagnate View Post
    Sorry, but 8k is just stupid high for a a pair of 19's.This is what they really sell for: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Altec-model-...p2047675.l2557
    No need to be sorry, sir, when you are absolutely correct. I completely agree. But, one of these days I might see a pair for a reasonable price, and the info in this thread -- including your frank, correct view -- will allow me to be a more savy buyer. Your posts are always helpful to me, and to others.

Kindest regards,

Greg

No need to be sorry, sir, when you are absolutely correct. I completely agree. But, one of these days I might see a pair for a reasonable price, and the info in this thread -- including your frank, correct view -- will allow me to be a more savy buyer. Your posts are always helpful to me, and to others.

Kindest regards,

Greg
    Thanks, but I'm curious, if you have a pair of L300's, why are you even looking for speakers? Altec 19's are very nice, but L300's even better, at least IMO. Add an IB sub or a nice swarm to a pair of 300's and you'll be in hog heaven.

Thanks, but I'm curious, if you have a pair of L300's, why are you even looking for speakers? Altec 19's are very nice, but L300's even better, at least IMO. Add an IB sub or a nice swarm to a pair of 300's and you'll be in hog heaven.
    You, my wife, and all of my friends (Not on this forum. ) are all in agreement concerning that curiousity. Especially since I placed the two 18" 4645s next to the L300s -- making, in effect, a fairly formidable 4-way tandem.

Uh .... Er .... Can I get back with you later re that question, sir?

Greg

Another vote for save your money in these. They look cool but the pair I heard just didn't cut it. Definitely don't pay more than $2k for a pair. Altec A7's are far less money and sound much better.

Quote Originally Posted by tinpan View Post
    Another vote for save your money in these. They look cool but the pair I heard just didn't cut it. Definitely don't pay more than $2k for a pair. Altec A7's are far less money and sound much better.
    Thanks for the advice. Look to be a lot of variations of the A7. And some priced reasonably, as well.

JBLs ..... Altecs ....piles of drivers .... too many amps. Reminds me of the Doobies: "What once were vices, are now habits."

Greg

Or .... maybe it's, "What once were hobbies, are now vices." Yep, that's it.

I'm not sure what a 4665 is, but if you're rockin' multiple JBL 18's (2245h?) and a pair of L300's and still on the hunt, you got it bad! That system, properly tweaked of course, is damn close to my idea of audio nirvana. I'd want to build some kind of infinite baffle rig for the woofs, but that's splitting hairs. Maybe you need some new music/sources. That rig is 24 bit ready. PICS PLEASE!

I'm not sure what a 4665 is, but if you're rockin' multiple JBL 18's (2245h?) and a pair of L300's and still on the hunt, you got it bad! That system, properly tweaked of course, is damn close to my idea of audio nirvana. I'd want to build some kind of infinite baffle rig for the woofs, but that's splitting hairs. Maybe you need some new music/sources. That rig is 24 bit ready. PICS PLEASE!
    It's my old timers. JBL 4645Cs ...... not 4665s. Sorrry.

Name:  JBL 4645C.jpg
Views: 1173
Size:  238.4 KB

The two 4645Cs flank the L300s with the Nelson Pass xovers built by Duane (Bi-amped: one amp HF/MF, one LF). Embarrassed to post photos now. Room is a mess! And, another for the 4665Cs.

Greg

Thread Information