Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Altec Model 19 -- The Real Deal?

Here's a little more info on the Altec line. I've been tracking down the Altec line for a couple years and now I am tracking down the JBL line.

Here's an A7. It uses the 511b horn with the 800 series driver

Next up the food chain is the A5 which in this case uses the 803 horn and a 288 driver

Both are crossed over at 500Hz. There are a bunch of different variants you can do, I have a buddy that uses the 203 horn which is a 2 cell horn. You can also go with a 1003 horn with is a 10 cell. I think the 203 throws the sound forward a little too much. I like the dispersion of the 1003 or the 803 horn better.

These are very finicky and revealing. They sound great with a 300b tube amp and live recorded music. They are not going to sound great with rock and roll blasting....however, if you like jazz, vocals, piano etc....they can be magical

Not for everyone but to give you a few ideas
    Attached Images Attached Images   

My two-way love affair!

Tinpan,

Thank you for the prime photos. Whether it's a Hartsfield or a VOTT, I think '2-way' beauty and simplicity is what caused me to initially post re the Altecs. I suppose I will never 'get over' my basic belief that, as driver technology progresses, we will end up where we started: The best sound from a great 2-way with the simplest charge-coupled x-over that can be designed, housed in gorgeous furmiture.

Greg

Quote Originally Posted by tinpan View Post
    Here's a little more info on the Altec line. I've been tracking down the Altec line for a couple years and now I am tracking down the JBL line.

Here's an A7. It uses the 511b horn with the 800 series driver

Next up the food chain is the A5 which in this case uses the 803 horn and a 288 driver

Both are crossed over at 500Hz. There are a bunch of different variants you can do, I have a buddy that uses the 203 horn which is a 2 cell horn. You can also go with a 1003 horn with is a 10 cell. I think the 203 throws the sound forward a little too much. I like the dispersion of the 1003 or the 803 horn better.

These are very finicky and revealing. They sound great with a 300b tube amp and live recorded music. They are not going to sound great with rock and roll blasting....however, if you like jazz, vocals, piano etc....they can be magical

Not for everyone but to give you a few ideas

Thread Information