Thread: Capacitor size for JBL 2360/Renkus Heinz 3301 combo

Capacitor size for JBL 2360/Renkus Heinz 3301 combo

Im switching over from a small format to large format horn setup to go on top of some Altec 817a cabs. I am planning on using Renkus Heinz SSD-3301-16 drivers on JBL 2360 or 2365 horns. Planning on crossing them at 500 hz with an active crossover. I would like to add a capacitor for extra protection of the drivers. I have some engine run oil caps that are 45uf. This would put their cutoff frequency at around 275 hz with a 16 ohm driver. Is this high enough to protect the drivers? I think the 3301 has a lower cutoff of 400 hz.
    Also does anyone have any experience with the JBL 2360/2365? I got a good deal on the Renkus drivers and was basically looking for a 4 bolt horn to run them on. The JBL's are priced really reasonable. I just have to find a pair close enough to pick up. Right now the closest pair is 5 hours away .
    Thanks

Ok I have a line on some JBL 2365 horns. I was hoping to find some 2360's with the 90x40 dispersion but I think the 2365 with 60x40 should be ok. Room is 21'x17' feet with the speakers on the long wall

I don't know much about your RH drivers but the 65's sound just fine.

Barry.
    If we knew what the hell we were doing, we wouldn't call it research would we.

Cool

Rule of thumb with protection caps is to be an octave below the final crossover frequency. So 500Hz XO should have around 250 Hz cap. Use what you have in other words. The protection is mainly about keeping DC and large LF thumps out of your drivers. It's up to the crossover to keep the stop band out below 500 Hz.
    Mike Scott in SJ, CA
    Drive 'em to the Xmax!

I think the 45uf is pretty close then. According to the calculator I used a 45uf with a 16 ohm drivers gives a crossover frequency of about 275. The caps were not that expensive so I could always pickup another pair if I have problems when I get everything setup.
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 1audiohack View Post
    I don't know much about your RH drivers but the 65's sound just fine.

Barry.
    Do you have experience with both the 2360 and 2365? There is a pair I am trying to purchase but cannot identify them. They are being sold as 2365 but I believe they are 2360. The throats have a 60962 casting number. Anyone know if they all share the same throats?

Hi;

I sure do and still have some of each and love them. In a small room there is little difference in sound between the 2360 and 2365. In some instances I think the 2365 sounds a tick better on the top end and they require a bit less CD EQ, the 2380 curve fits them nicely.

The throats are not the same and will not interchange. The casting number on my 2360 throats is 60962. The casting number on the T2365 is 60963.

I only know of one truly large format horn that I like better than these.

Barry.

Hey thank you for that info. I looked all over the net trying to find out if the throats were different on these horns. Even looked at close up pics on ebay. The one thing I noticed is the throats usually have stickers on them with the model number. The ones I am looking at dont have that.
    Honestly after doing some research I was fine with getting either the 2360 or 2365 horns. I just wanted to know what I am getting. I'll post some pics of them with the Renkus drivers when I get it all setup.
    Thanks again

Barry,
    What is your favorite large format horn? Just curious

Quote Originally Posted by elitopus1 View Post
    Barry,What is your favorite large format horn? Just curious
    Let me first qualify this by the (my) definition of a large format high frequency horn being roughly square so that it has real pattern control both horizontally and vertically down to a minimum of 500Hz. This is to exclude high apect ratio smaller horns for use in small rooms with large format drivers, like the 4365 or the Everest DD66-6700's, or the 2311 and so on.

My favorite still is the Community RH60. I don't have what I consider a proper test rig (Audio Precision) to measure distortion but I have yet to hear a large format high frequency horn that sounds very good at anywhere near the level these will play with only a 2441 on it. It even has a part number that means something. Radial Horn, 60 Degree.

I do want to hear what you think of your 2365's.

All the best, Barry.

Quote Originally Posted by 1audiohack View Post
    My favorite still is the Community RH60. I don't have what I consider a proper test rig (Audio Precision) to measure distortion but I have yet to hear a large format high frequency horn that sounds very good at anywhere near the level these will play with only a 2441 on it. It even has a part number that means something. Radial Horn, 60 Degree
    That is cool that the model number actually means something. Thats how things should be.

Do you have the factory stands for your JBL horns (either the wood fixed ones or the metal adjustable)? I am having my horns shipped from Alabama, so I didnt get stands with them. Think I will be able to support the drivers with books or should I be looking for a sets of factory stands? I might have to build a little extension off the back of my 817a cabs to support the drivers. The cabs are 27 inches deep and from what I have read the 2360/2365 are 36 inches deep without drivers attached. I guess I am wondering how stable the horn is. I get everything tomorrow so I can start playing around with placement then

I have a pair of 2509 brackets and a pair I made. At the shop I just use small car jackstands with the saddle placed right at the throat where the driver meets it. Easy adjustment but it looks pretty hokey.

If those drivers are decent you will have plenty of fun with them.

I don't remember them being deeper than they are wide. ?

Barry.

I'll rig something up for now and if its too unstable I will try to find some correct mounts.
    I was thinking they were 36" long. I was wrong. They are 31 5/16 high 31 5/16 wide and 32 7/64 deep. With my drivers attached they will be around 34 1/2 deep. I'll have to pull the 817a's out from the wall a bit. It should help with the sound stage. Maybe

Thread Information