Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Holy Grail of Subwoofers: A Pair of 2245's

So 8cuft per plans?

I only ask because looking at your picture above it looks like a large port but not sure what length you went in the end.

Quote Originally Posted by chrapladm View Post
    So 8cuft per plans?

I only ask because looking at your picture above it looks like a large port but not sure what length you went in the end.
    Yep, it is exactly as taken from the drawings of the Greg Timbers 1983 design. No deviations other than cabinet shape. My port is 6" in diameter (Madisound sourced) with the curved end pieces. It's 12" long, but that is getting kinda personal...

Ah ok thanks. If you did not want to reveal specifics that would have been fine also. I was just curious where the port was going from the picture. At first I thought i was looking at a dual opposed design but then realized thats definitely not whats going on

Naw no secrets here, as I said, this follows the design so I didn't figure repeating what is on the drawing would be relevant. Here are some other pics of the port. It is directly behind the driver with a 6" gap between the rear of the driver and the front of the port.
    Name:  IMG_7669.jpg
Views: 787
Size:  72.1 KBName:  IMG_7670.jpg
Views: 798
Size:  72.5 KBName:  IMG_7671.jpg
Views: 809
Size:  76.9 KB

Thanks again for the added pictures.

Beautiful!!

Champster, your build looks absolutely beautiful! Great job.

However, I am wondering if the 10" OB would perform better if you allowed the 2245 to provide everything from say 60 or 70 Hz down, rather than tasking them to go down to 35 Hz. I am thinking that the extra excursion required has to have some negative effect on higher frequencies. Since you are using active crossovers, I would suggest playing around with raising the crossover frequency.

Currently, in one of my systems, I am running a solo 2245 in a 12 cu ft box crossed at 75 Hz to a pair of E145 (15") providing woofer and midbass duty, something they excel at. Prior to that, this same system was running a pair of 2245s in 16 cu ft boxes on each side.. This seemed to be overkill and took up so much space.. Pic below was the day I assembled the system, first trying it outdoors to free up room issues before moving it indoors.

My personal experience with this driver indicates it works very well to 100 and maybe even up to 140 Hz. In your application, I surely would try lessening the burden on the 10" and raising some..

If you do try raising the crossover frequency, PLEASE let us know your thoughts.

Further, I think I will try building some boxes similar to yours, probably in 12 cu Ft, but with curved sides like yours. I am very impressed with your build and application and would love to hear your system!! Kuddos!!

Dan

Name:  DSC03809.jpg
Views: 700
Size:  86.2 KB

Quote Originally Posted by cosmos View Post
    Champster, your build looks absolutely beautiful! Great job.

However, I am wondering if the 10" OB would perform better if you allowed the 2245 to provide everything from say 60 or 70 Hz down, rather than tasking them to go down to 35 Hz. I am thinking that the extra excursion required has to have some negative effect on higher frequencies. Since you are using active crossovers, I would suggest playing around with raising the crossover frequency.

Currently, in one of my systems, I am running a solo 2245 in a 12 cu ft box crossed at 75 Hz to a pair of E145 (15") providing woofer and midbass duty, something they excel at. Prior to that, this same system was running a pair of 2245s in 16 cu ft boxes on each side.. This seemed to be overkill and took up so much space.. Pic below was the day I assembled the system, first trying it outdoors to free up room issues before moving it indoors.

My personal experience with this driver indicates it works very well to 100 and maybe even up to 140 Hz. In your application, I surely would try lessening the burden on the 10" and raising some..

If you do try raising the crossover frequency, PLEASE let us know your thoughts.

Further, I think I will try building some boxes similar to yours, probably in 12 cu Ft, but with curved sides like yours. I am very impressed with your build and application and would love to hear your system!! Kuddos!!

Dan

Name:  DSC03809.jpg
Views: 700
Size:  86.2 KB
    Hey Dan,
    Thanks for the comments. Yes, I have a fully active (5 Way) system. Each driver has its own amp (6 amps per channel) and I have adjusted the subwoofer crossover frequency extensively. For my ears, the 2245's large cone is audibly slower than the 2 - 10" woofers and, above about 50hz, I notice an immediately less articulate sound out of the 18" vs the 10's". If however, absolute loudness were the goal, I would absolutely raise the frequency and run more power through the 18". But that is not my absolute goal. The 10" excursion really starts to become, visually, very noticeable beginning at 35 hz. When playing test tones below 35hz through the 10" drivers, they start sounding strained at higher volumes whereas playing that same tone through the 18" handles them with ease. Plus I had another overriding goal, which was to minimize the subwoofer addition on the LX521's as much as possible and preserve the fine work that was done by Mr. Linkwitz in the main system. That, my friend, is how I settled on 35hz. Thanks for the nice comments on the cabinets. IMHO, they really turned out nicely.

PC

Quote Originally Posted by Champster View Post
    Hey Dan,
    Thanks for the comments. Yes, I have a fully active (5 Way) system. Each driver has its own amp (6 amps per channel) and I have adjusted the subwoofer crossover frequency extensively. For my ears, the 2245's large cone is audibly slower than the 2 - 10" woofers and, above about 50hz, I notice an immediately less articulate sound out of the 18" vs the 10's". If however, absolute loudness were the goal, I would absolutely raise the frequency and run more power through the 18". But that is not my absolute goal. The 10" excursion really starts to become, visually, very noticeable beginning at 35 hz. When playing test tones below 35hz through the 10" drivers, they start sounding strained at higher volumes whereas playing that same tone through the 18" handles them with ease. Plus I had another overriding goal, which was to minimize the subwoofer addition on the LX521's as much as possible and preserve the fine work that was done by Mr. Linkwitz in the main system. That, my friend, is how I settled on 35hz. Thanks for the nice comments on the cabinets. IMHO, they really turned out nicely.

PC
    PC,

I wonder if what you are hearing as a "slow" driver is really a timing or phase problem? Perhaps playing with those settings will clear up the muddiness? after all, 60 hz is 60 cycles per second ( a measure of time) not 57 hz with a slow driver.. I am guessing the phase or time is causing a blur of sound at the higher frequencies as the two drivers blend below, above and through the crossover frequency.. Just a thought and something to play with.

In any case, I am really happy you are enjoying your setup. It seems like it would be a superior system and the looks are stellar!

Howdy, PC,

You've done a fantastic job on this entire system, and I doff my hat to you for the wonderful results of all your experimentation!!! Not to be pushy, and please don't take offense at my asking, but I'll be in SD this coming weekend for a big band reunion. Would you be up for a short visit, so I could enjoy your system, aurally, and visually?!!? IF, for any reason, this won't work for you, please just let me know, and I'll understand completely. However, I'll have some time on Friday, a bit on Saturday morning and evening, possibly some time on Sunday morning, and I'll definitely have time on Monday morning. Again, if this won't work for you, or you would prefer for folks you don't really know, coming to your place, just say the word, and all will be well. But, IF a short visit and demo would work for you, I'd most certainly be up for meeting you, and hearing the fruits of your extensive labors!!! Thanks for considering it, and talk to you soon. Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc (Mark)
    The only thing that can never be taken away from you, is your honor. Cherish it, in yourself, and in others.

Hey Doc. I'll take this off-line and send you a PM.
    Paul

Champster,

Thanks for the PM shout. I look forward to talking to you soon. Take care, and God Bless!

Doc
    The only thing that can never be taken away from you, is your honor. Cherish it, in yourself, and in others.

I found some photos during the construction process....Name:  2014-09-07 07.21.17.jpg
Views: 581
Size:  93.3 KBName:  2014-09-07 07.21.29.jpg
Views: 443
Size:  105.2 KBName:  2014-09-07 07.21.43.jpg
Views: 453
Size:  86.1 KBName:  2014-09-07 07.21.55.jpg
Views: 442
Size:  118.8 KBName:  2014-09-07 07.22.09.jpg
Views: 481
Size:  88.4 KB

Those are a very nice looking cabs Paul!! Congrats to you!! I bet they sound just amazing.

They are my favorite subs as well, just effortless IMO.
    I just found a pair of S1S cabs (not EX) and put my 45's in them, they sound good at any volume as you have expressed and I am sure you will enjoy them for a very long time.

Congrats to a very fine system!!

Shane
    Always fun learning more.......

Thread Information