Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Behringer DSP8024 -- will it work

The reviewer tried it in the tape monitor loop, unsuccessfully. Too little output, apparently. Yup. Seems to be only about 150 mV there in mine.

So, he puts it on his preamp out and cranks the volume to 2:00 as standard setting based upon clipping indicators and uses the amp volume controls to set the listening level.

Alas, no remote on the amp volume, and no remote on the EQ so he extends his cables to locate the EQ at his listening position to tweak from there. He ends up with different EQ curves for each of his favorite recordings. ACK!

I must say the two newer units (one inadvertent) are kinda interesting. Maybe time to hoof it down to the Pro Audio shop to find out more what's up:

http://www.behringer.com/DCX2496/index.cfm?lang=ENG

http://www.behringer.com/DEQ2496/index.cfm?lang=ENG

Quote Originally Posted by Zilch
    He ends up with different EQ curves for each of his favorite recordings. ACK!

Hey, Zilch...

As you know, Behringer makes some interesting and priced-right stuff. However, the audio quality, while arguably passable in live settings, may not be sufficient for audiophile applications.

If this noise interests you, you might look at Ashly's Protea line - I'm putting some of their 4.24 gear in my road racks:

4.24DC - Digital Crossover/Signal Processor (http://www.ashly.com/product/d_crossover.htm)

4.24GS - Digital Graphic Equalizer/System Processor (http://www.ashly.com/product/d_graphic.htm)

4.24RD - Digital Graphic Equalizer Remote Control (http://www.ashly.com/product/d_remote.htm)

But again, this is in live sound-reinforcement applications. I'll be time-aligning the mains and EQ'ing the four monitor mixes (still using an 1/3 octave analogue for FOH).
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

The beautiful curves...

Here are the curves after a flat EQ in my room. Pretty awful! but I have a really BIG room that doesn't help. see my place. I guess I have to do my home work to get the room a little more sound friendly
    The scale is +/- 16 dB, when the EQ does its work it comes on the RAT at +/- .5 dB from flat.
    The sound coming out is a little on the bright side but the low end is much more defined and punchy, good bye mudiness! I'm not an EQ savvy guy now but I think I'm going to learn how to appreciate it. to resume: "I have to play even some more with it" before getting deaf

Fred.

right channel
    Attached Images Attached Images  

left channel
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by Infredible
    "I have to play even some more with it" before getting deaf

Thanks, Fred. Interesting.

What does the "white" (non-black) fader signify? Is that a HPF point, or something?

Love your crib...
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

What does the "white" (non-black) fader signify? Is that a HPF point, or something?
    The "white" dot is just indicating the current active band in edit mode.
    What is an HPF point?

Fred.

"high pass filter" - it's in about the right place if you were using a system-wide roll-off for whatever reason. I wondered if that was selected somewhere in the GUI (but was not activated), and showed on the faders (both L/R the same).
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

New Toy

Well I just ditched the 8024 which in the end sounded not that good to me, lots of digital conversion artifacts. It was replaced by their higher end model DEQ 2496 which is the ultimate (read cheap) tweaker toy. With the right length of cable I'm able to sit at my listening position with it and tweak things to my liking. I really like the parametric EQ which is easy to use and gives you a real time audio feedback. There's a room correction mode too.
    It's amazing how a room changes the response of your speakers. I highly recommend anyone to consider putting a clean, transparent EQ in their gear loop.
    It's like Santa brought me new better speakers.

Fred.

pelly3s
    i personally would chose a dbx driverack pa or bss omnidrive or minidrive but the bss stuff is really expensive. the driverack pa is like $499 and it's amazing the driverack studio is a little more money and then they have high end models but they have way more than what is needed for home use.

Thread Information