Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Behringer DSP8024 -- will it work

slider908

Behringer DSP8024 -- will it work

I'm thinking of getting a behringer 8024 to smooth things out a bit. my question is how will i connect it to my system. i have a receiver with RCA phono plug outs. what kind of adapter will i need and where can i get one.
    i understand that this eq can automatically calibrate everything for flattest response, but can't do RTA at the same time, is this true?
    also, do i have to buy anything extra to hook the 8024 up to my computer?
    thanks,

-john

The spec sheet says it provides 1/4" phone plug inputs and outputs, including unbalanced. Check the manual to be sure, but if so, you'll need RCA phono pin to 1/4" phone plug cables. I use Hosa cables from Guitar Center or my Pro Audio store for such connections....

david yost
    The biggest problem you will face is to drive the Behringer with high enough input voltage to get full 24 bit resolution and low noise...it isn't suitable to put the unit between your pre and main amps. It should work if you put it between a source and your preamp, however, or if you have a line level processor loop.

I used RCA to 1/4 interconnects I bought at Mars Music before they went under. BTW, I think some of the 8024 units had digital inputs so you can run your CD player straight into it and avoid a couple of D/A and A/D conversions.

Lastly, there were a couple of good reviews of the Ultracurve posted on the net which talked about set-up. Perhaps you can still Google them.

Good luck.
    David

Hello,

If your budget will allow it I suggest the replacement for the 8024: DEQ2496. It has more processing power so you can go eq and rta at the same time (as well as have more filters) and it has switchable input levels so your "home" levels can work without loss of signal to noise ratio. If the 8024 is your choice (it has a bigger display) be careful as stated above to maximize input levels. Perhaps you can put your volume control after the 8024 to maximize the signal to noise. This should minimize the internet observed problems with the 8024.

Regards,
    Tom
    Last edited by tomp787; 11-16-2004 at 09:23 AM. Reason: DEQ not DCX

O.k.,

Help me with the numbers, then:

1) "Home" level, like from a tape or preamp out is ? *mV?

2) "Pro" level, is more like 1.23Vrms (+4dBu)?

3) So the resolution of this unit drops from 24-bit to less than 8?

No, WAIT! Each bit cuts it in half, so 22-bits, then?

[I should look this stuff up, maybe....]

*Specs on "home" gear here vary from 150mV to 2V. DUH!

Quote Originally Posted by david yost
    The biggest problem you will face is to drive the Behringer with high enough input voltage to get full 24 bit resolution and low noise...
    Dood...

This post confounds. I've been waiting with Zilch out here, for an explaination of A/D degredation with low input voltage. I'm not that smart on this stuff - maybe you could explain?

...it isn't suitable to put the unit between your pre and main amps.
    This one drives me bats, and has to be in error - or, I'm confused by your syntax. The 8024 is designed to be AFTER the preamp (see attachments).

It should work if you put it between a source and your preamp...
    When/where would you ever want or need that much processing/EQ power for one source? I am mystified.

The dang thing should be used as a system EQ, post Mix or as Mix inserts, and before the mains. As well, the RTA function allows it to serve as a stand-alone (see attachment).

http://www.behringer.com/DSP8024/index.cfm?lang=ENG
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

Hello,

The 8024 full scale input is +22dBu while the deq2496 has switchable input levels of +12 or +22. So with home gear the 8024 is losing 10dB of signal to noise ratio to the 2496.

The 8024 maximum sampling rate is 48KHz while the 2496 max rate is 96KHz. I think of these inexpensive digital components like computer equipment: the older units may have sturdier construction but the newer ones usually have better internal components.

Regards,
    Tom

david yost
    Try this link for a comprehensive review:

http://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazin...ringer8024.htm

I am no expert, but it seems that the top diagram above shows the Ultracurve in a mixer processor loop ahead of the amp. I think this is necessary to keep the input level high enough to maximize dynamic range and minimize noise. All I can tell you is that I never was able to get a decent performance out of my Ultracurve when it was used ahead of the power amp.

Quote Originally Posted by slider908
    i have a receiver with RCA phono plug outs.
    First, does your receiver have RCA ins as well? Some have outs but no ins. If you are using outboard amps this doesn't matter. If you have RCA ins and outs putting it in the loop should be no problem. You may experience ground loops, but that is always a potential when mixing pro/semi-pro gear with unbalanced home gear.

Since you are using a receiver, I will assume this is for a home stereo. Most outboard digital signal processors will have a sonic signature. You may find it is one that you may not like. I sure don't.

Widget

it seems that the top diagram above shows the Ultracurve in a mixer processor loop ahead of the amp.
    Kinda- it is the Mix Inserts, designed for patching the EQ to the mains. It is basically the pre-amp out, full Mix. On many consoles this can be too hot for some EQ's - I do not use the Mix Inserts on my Soundcraft anymore for just that reason, now chaining from the Mix outs to EQ to (snake and then) amp rack.

Quote Originally Posted by Thorsten Loesch, Enjoy the Music.com, Jan. 2001
    Anyway, I ended up with ... the Ultracurve Pro between the amplifier and preamplifier. ... most of my evaluation was done with Ultracurve Pro between pre-amplifier and power amplifier. Linking the Ultracurve Pro into the tape loop of my pre-amplifier did not prove to give very good sound, the Ultracurve Pro does like a lot more level than available there.
    'xactly.

This badboy likes +4dBu (Pro) gear, I'm guessing, and connecting it to -10dBu (Consumer) would certainly decrease the S/N ratio. But, it needs be positioned before the amps and provided a sufficient gain structure. I'm thinking your preamp is to blame, here. Since you needed the RCA to 1/4 adaptors, I'm guessing it "consumer" grade, and therefore you're in a different world that what the Ultracurve was designed for.

But again, I was confused by your first post where the syntax suggested low input gain would degrade the 24-bit conversion - that is not what you meant.

-------------------------------------------------------------

Now, tell us how you liked the device, and what you are using it for. I'm not a fan of instant EQ - but give us your experiences.
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

Ultra Curve 8024

I just brought one last week and have it plugged in a pre-out main-in situation using a Yamaha DSP-A1. So far I like it. I don't have any ground loop and that thing is pretty transparent, no backgroung noise without signal.
    This is a fun machine to play with. You can store hundreds of different curves and recall them at any time for comparaison. You can mix curve in additive or substrative way. The RTA fonction is neat, it has an auto EQ fonction that can flatten your signal in 20 seconds. I can't stop playing with it. All in all it is a nice tool to have, it realy helped to correct my room response and I greatly improved my sound, it's like having new speakers.

Fred.

Quote Originally Posted by Infredible
    ...it has an auto EQ fonction that can flatten your signal in 20 seconds.
    Freddie...

Can you post a picture of the resultant curve? I'm intrigued...

And:

Quote Originally Posted by Infredible
    I can't stop playing with it.
    Dood!! You'll lose your hearing...
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

Can you post a picture of the resultant curve? I'm intrigued...
    I will when I'm home.

Fred.

Quote:
    <table cellpadding="6" cellspacing="0" border="0" width="100%"> <tbody><tr> <td class="alt2" style="border: 1px inset ;"> Originally Posted by Infredible
    I can't stop playing with it.
    </td> </tr> </tbody></table>
    Dood!! You'll lose your hearing... <!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

I thought playing with it was supposed to give you warts.

Widget

"I thought playing with it was supposed to give you warts. "

Nah just makes you blind

Rob

Thread Information