Thread: can these cabinets be save

can these cabinets be save

I am not a handy at all around wood so can the cabs be saved also what can i do about the cheap looking wood vinyl can that change out for real veneer ? cabs are jbl 4647
    Thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Enjoy them for what they are, bargain sound for a bargain price. The expense to bring them back to vinyl or wood would be more than they are worth unless you have the time and expertise to do it yourself.

Crack filling CA glue and some accelerator (available at hobby shops) would be a quick and easy way to help to keep it from falling apart further.

Quote Originally Posted by Audiobeer View Post
    Enjoy them for what they are, bargain sound for a bargain price. The expense to bring them back to vinyl or wood would be more than they are worth unless you have the time and expertise to do it yourself.
    I was trying to save myself $$$ by seeing what could be done to save these cabs instead of spending a lot of money for custom built cabs. I am willing to spend a couple hundred to save them but I need to know can they be save.

Quote Originally Posted by Audiobeer View Post
    I was trying to save myself $$$ by seeing what could be done to save these cabs instead of spending a lot of money for custom built cabs. I am willing to spend a couple hundred to save them but I need to know can they be save.

My 4311 are made out of the same wood particle board with veneer glued on top of particle board. I'm not a cheap person nor am I rich. My first jbl speaker design I spent over 6500 and my mistake was the cabs were tune to 17hz for a four way system. I am not an elephant I could not hear bass but the pics on the wall shook like he'll any my home fell apart. My 4345 are awesome which I spent a great sum of money 4 -1-15 my other hobby is fishing so I bought a boat boat mean bust out another thousand. I had to buy and put in a new motor . pay for a boat slip, had both carburetor replace and now the other engine is acting up. Almost finish I am a single parent I have the best of both worlds boy n girl which I receive no child Surpport and its SCHOOL time ( clothes and shoes)
    So this is why I'm trying to save money by going this route. So if anyone know about cabs and this is a go or basically Dino you are screwed for right now and save your money until I can make it happen

Quote Originally Posted by dino View Post
    My 4311 are made out of the same wood particle board with veneer glued on top of particle board. I'm not a cheap person nor am I rich. My first jbl speaker design I spent over 6500 and my mistake was the cabs were tune to 17hz for a four way system. I am not an elephant I could not hear bass but the pics on the wall shook like he'll any my home fell apart. My 4345 are awesome which I spent a great sum of money 4 -1-15 my other hobby is fishing so I bought a boat boat mean bust out another thousand. I had to buy and put in a new motor . pay for a boat slip, had both carburetor replace and now the other engine is acting up. Almost finish I am a single parent I have the best of both worlds boy n girl which I receive no child Surpport and its SCHOOL time ( clothes and shoes)
    So this is why I'm trying to save money by going this route. So if anyone know about cabs and this is a go or basically Dino you are screwed for right now and save your money until I can make it happen
    For the moment, save your money and do more research on whether these cabs could be economically worked on or saved. We would need more pictures showing the extent of any seam splitting, how wide, and how long. Check Audiokarma.org speaker forum for other tips on how they might be fixed, some threads over the past few years have addressed this issue.

As for money, personally I'd advise holding off on spending ANY money on your hobbies at the moment and concentrate on your family. Unless you have a fair amount of disposable income AND an emergency $$$ stash of at least 6 months, it is unwise to be sinking money into a boat, its repairs and maintenance, and speakers for the next few months. Save and spend the money on your family, your hobbies can wait, indefinitely if need be. Priorities.
    When faced with another JBL find, Good mech986 says , JBL Fan mech986 says

Unless you're selling, when personal financial issues become part of your description and excuses it's probably time to cut bait. Perhaps no longer a hobby but instead an obsession?

Not sure what you're trying to accomplish and from what you've shown us they don't look like any 4647 I've ever seen. Maybe I'm not getting what you're saying but are you trying to use these cabinets to replace those you're using for your "4345"s currently?
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Thread Information