Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Will this work?

Quote Originally Posted by Horn Fanatic View Post
    Just curious why you picked 6K for your upper crossover frequency. Standing waves will occur within a 2397 at approximately 4.9K. Is it safe to assume you're using a tweeter? If so, can you cross your tweeter over slightly below that frequency?

Do you actually have 2440 diaphragms installed in the drivers, or are they 2441 diaphragms? The 2440 is the commercial designation for the 375 driver, and the high end response of the 375 sucked.

H.F.
    Yes. The lowest crossover frequency he can go is 1200

Quote Originally Posted by dino View Post
    Yes. The lowest crossover frequency he can go is 1200
    Thanks.

Perhaps I don't have a clear picture. Is this going to be a three-way system? Using two crossover points indicates a three-way system, but I saw no mention of a tweeter.

Just curious why you picked 6K for your upper crossover frequency. Standing waves will occur within a 2397 at approximately 4.9K. Is it safe to assume you're using a tweeter? If so, can you cross your tweeter over slightly below that frequency?

Do you actually have 2440 diaphragms installed in the drivers, or are they 2441 diaphragms? The 2440 is the commercial designation for the 375 driver, and the high end response of the 375 sucked.

H.F.
    LOL well everyone is titled to their own opinion .

LOL well everyone is titled to their own opinion .
    What is that supposed to mean? Stating fact is not an opinion.

H.F.
    Thanks I just read the graph on the 2397 frequency curves low and high. The tweeter and mid are not the issue the issue is the low frequency driver I can use in a 3way speaker system that will cover the full spectrum frequency range at crossover points between the low and the mid. Does anyone know how high I can crossover the 2235h 500? 800? 1000?

Thanks I just read the graph on the 2397 frequency curves low and high. The tweeter and mid are not the issue the issue is the low frequency driver I can use in a 3way speaker system that will cover the full spectrum frequency range at crossover points between the low and the mid. Does anyone know how high I can crossover the 2235h 500? 800? 1000?
    First off, I would recommend reviewing which systems JBL used the 2235H in to give you an idea where it was crossed over at. My experience with the 2397 coincides with the fact that the lowest crossover frequency JBL recommended was 800 Hz. The highest crossover frequency JBL recommended for the 2235H is 1K. That means you have a 200 Hz window to play with.

Second, being that the issue of the crossover point between the horn and the tweeter may be of no concern to you, it still doesn't change the fact that standing waves will occur between the parallel panels of the 2397 at approximately 4.9K. It's not my opinion, it's a question of physics. Eliminating standing waves will reduce distortion in that frequency range.

Coincidently, from the 2397 data sheet: "...with only minor lobes appearing above 5kHz"

Why not cross over below 4.9K and rid yourself of a second problem?

If you run a 2235, a 2440 on a 2397 and possibly a 2405 on top, then you can use the following crossing frequencies.

800 to 1000Hz

8KHz (if you cross the 2405 at 7KHz it will sound hasher)

Lee

Why not cross over below 4.9K and rid yourself of a second problem?
    Possibly because then it limits the choice of JBL tweeter to a 2402 bullet topping at 15KHz which is not as nice sounding as a 2405 with its sizzling highs extending to 21KHz

JBL 2402 - http://www.jblpro.com/pub/obsolete/2402.pdf

JBL 2405 - http://www.jblpro.com/pub/obsolete/2405.pdf

If non-JBL components are considered, then a ribbon tweeter can be used. They can be crossed low and they reach high.

http://www.parts-express.com/Search....itesearch=true

Quote Originally Posted by Lee in Montreal View Post
    Possibly because then it limits the choice of JBL tweeter to a 2402 bullet topping at 15KHz which is not as nice sounding as a 2405 with its sizzling highs extending to 21KHz

JBL 2402 - http://www.jblpro.com/pub/obsolete/2402.pdf

JBL 2405 - http://www.jblpro.com/pub/obsolete/2405.pdf

If non-JBL components are considered, then a ribbon tweeter can be used. They can be crossed low and they reach high.

http://www.parts-express.com/Search....itesearch=true
    It would appear dino has a pair of these: Beyma Tpl 150h

Barry.
    If we knew what the hell we were doing, we wouldn't call it research would we.

Quote Originally Posted by 1audiohack View Post
    It would appear dino has a pair of these: Beyma Tpl 150h

Barry.
    Wow thanks Barry. I have my answer on the drivers to use to make the system work and save me some cash. I have a set of 5 cubic feet cabinets. I will have to buy the beyma TPL 150h and build a xover but everthing else I have . I will take pic when completed

Thread Information