Thread: Cabs for TAD TSC-1118SW clone?

Cabs for TAD TSC-1118SW clone?

Some years ago I foolishly sold a pair of TAD subwoofers, model TSC-1118SW, from the company's now-discontinued pro cinema series.

Best subs I've had or heard, though I only used them for music, with a steep high pass filter @ 25 Hz.

Now, having acquired a pair of TAD TL-1801 drivers, I'd like to reproduce the TSC-1118SW cabinet and recapture that impressive combination of tunefulness and sheer slam.

If anyone owns, or has access to, a TSC-1118SW, and could measure the panel thicknesses and the dimensions of the slot-port, I'd be most grateful. Any details about the amount and type of damping material used would also be great.

All I've been able to determine from TAD's published information is that the cabinet's external dimensions are 29" H x 29" W x 24" D, with the slot port at the top of the enclosure.

TIA,

Joel.

Since the kindly owner of a pair of TAD TSC-1119SW sub-woofers e-mailed me the answer to my query, which I have posted on other forums, I thought I'd post it here.

For the 29 x 29 x 24 inch external dimensions of the subwoofers, TAD uses a slot-type port 683 mm wide, 35 mm high and 230 mm deep.

What puzzles me about this, is that according to TAD's published information, this tunes the box to "below 25 Hz," which is lower than the Fs of the TL-1801 driver. Didn't think that worked, although I owned the subs for several years and it certainly does!

Cheers,

Joel.

May I ask how your journey finally turned out?

The internal volume should be 8 cubic ft, right?
    What port tuning did you end up with ?

Quote Originally Posted by dubkarma View Post
    What puzzles me about this, is that according to TAD's published information, this tunes the box to "below 25 Hz," which is lower than the Fs of the TL-1801 driver. Didn't think that worked, although I owned the subs for several years and it certainly does!

Cheers,

Joel.
    Hey Joel

A driver will go lower than its FS value. When a cab's ports are tuned to whatever frequency, the cone will safely work until it reaches this Fb, but will unload below this Fb, which can be lethal. Therefore, if wanting to play loud, it is not a bad idea to tune the cabinet a bit below the usual Fs. But it is done at the expense of weaker response in the bottom end, which can easily be fixed by eq processing.

If you have a simulator software, spend a few minutes with different Fb scenarii ;-)

I have obviously simplified whatever was in my head... ;-)

Thread Information