Thread: John Taylor has played his last

John Taylor has played his last

A few days ago, John Taylor, the great UK pianist, passed away. He was my favorite living piano jazz artist. I found him through his colaborations with Ralph Towner, who is himself a first class pianist but left it to Taylor when he was around.
    Information is not Knowledge; Knowledge is not Wisdom
    Too many audiophiles listen with their eyes instead of their ears

Sorry to hear that. So sad that it is reported he had a heart-attack while performing. I guess one can do no better than passing away while doing what you love, though he's not that old!

Right now I'm listening to some other Jazz greats who have passed. The changer is loaded with Jim Hall, Kenny Kirkland, and Bill Evans.

What John Taylor CDs would you recommend?
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Quote Originally Posted by BMWCCA View Post
    I would recommend the duet recording with Charlie Haden, Nightfall.

Sad news indeed.

I will add Requiem For A Dreamer, Verso (DeVito/Taylor/Towner), and, if you are adventurous, nel respiro (Maria Pia DeVito). He has a nice CD as a leader on ECM, Rosslyn, and was a member of Azimuth on the label as well. Haven't heard them yet.

I would start with Requiem; it is a safe bet. I can almost guarantee you won't like nel respiro. He was a sideman on nearly endless recordings and he did some decidedly pop music work on synth and Rhodes. He was seventy- two.
    Information is not Knowledge; Knowledge is not Wisdom
    Too many audiophiles listen with their eyes instead of their ears

Thanks! I'll start with Nightfall and Requiem.

I've enjoyed Charlie Haden's album with Jim Hall, too
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Quote Originally Posted by BMWCCA View Post
    Sorry to hear that. So sad that it is reported he had a heart-attack while performing. I guess one can do no better than passing away while doing what you love, though he's not that old!

Right now I'm listening to some other Jazz greats who have passed. The changer is loaded with Jim Hall, Kenny Kirkland, and Bill Evans.

If I had a heart attack doing what I love, some would be in big trouble! LOL!!

My copy of Nightfall arrived and I've been playing it all evening along with a "new" Jim Hall set I got with it. Nightfall is a beautiful album, for the most part, and John Taylor's playing is soulful and emotional, especially knowing he'll never play those notes again. Thanks for the tip. I'm still working on getting a copy of Requiem.

I played it first on the big system with the 4345s and now I'm hearing how the LSR305s handle Charlie Haden's bass by comparison and it's not bad at all! Very balanced presentation and an excellent sound stage, as usual.

Thread Information