Thread: Are GPA reconing kits 'genuine' and 'offical' JBL reconing kits now...?

Are GPA reconing kits 'genuine' and 'offical' JBL reconing kits now...?

Hi, I've got two 2245H that I need to have reconed.

I would prefer not to use an aftermarket kit but I'm having a bit of a problem finding a genuine JBL C8R2245H kit, especially from somebody prepared to ship the UK without it ending up costing a small fortune.

I recall having read somewhere, probably on here, that Bill Hanuschak at Great Plains Audio bought some of JBL's production gear (or just the rights?), much like he did from Altec, and that his reconing kits can now be considered - for all intents and purposes - genuine JBL with true-to-spec T/S parameters etc. Or at least as "genuine" as it gets now with JBL gone.

Is this a correct understanding or what other alternatives are available to me if want to restore these to their original condition, performance level and value?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by NiToNi View Post
    Hi, I've got two 2245H that I need to have reconed.

I would prefer not to use an aftermarket kit but I'm having a bit of a problem finding a genuine JBL C8R2245H kit, especially from somebody prepared to ship the UK without it ending up costing a small fortune.

I recall having read somewhere, probably on here, that Bill Hanuschak at Great Plains Audio bought some of JBL's production gear (or just the rights?), much like he did from Altec, and that his reconing kits can now be considered - for all intents and purposes - genuine JBL with true-to-spec T/S parameters etc. Or at least as "genuine" as it gets now with JBL gone.

Is this a correct understanding or what other alternatives are available to me if want to restore these to their original condition, performance level and value?

Thanks
    Ask them:
    [email protected]

(405) 789-0221 or (405) 787-0987

Another option if you want the very finest in JBL repair and advice:
    http://www.uplandloudspeaker.com/

The owner of Upland is a forum member here as well

Ken Haerr is an artist:

Upland Loudspeaker Service

1042 N. Mountain Avenue, Suite B368
    Upland, California 91786
    909-946-5944
    1-888-990-1049

Transducers, Selenium

Emailing or leaving a voicemail at great plains is a waste of time. They never answer the phone anymore either. The word is Great Plains is circling the drain unfortunately.

It sucks because I've got some of there driver I need to have work done on. It seems the only place they do business at now is on ebay.

Nick

There's a couple of things working against you -

JBL doesn't sell cone kits to the public. You have to have them installed by an authorized service center. Any JBL cone kits you see on eBay or whatever are either old stock from a shop that went out of business or somebody operating outside their agreement with JBL.

Finding an authorized repair facility in the UK might be a challenge, but surely there are some.

Finally, they are dang expensive in the first place. Last I looked, a genuine 2245 kit was about $300. Add in shipping and labor and you could be looking at $500 ea to get them reconed. And that's without international shipping.

And that's why so many people just buy the $75 aftermarket kit and create their own hybrid driver. Real JBL is hella expensive to do right.

GPA is all about Altec, not JBL.
    "Audio is filled with dangerous amateurs." --- Tim de Paravicini

Quote Originally Posted by speakerdave View Post
    GPA is all about Altec, not JBL.
    Glad someone mentioned this.

I have had successes using GPA for various compression driver diaphragms over the past few years and one instance of reconing a pair of 421A 15" drivers. Also they were able to supply "new(/re-newed?) replacement" compression drivers.

Too bad to hear that they may not be stable. Hope this is not true.

Quote Originally Posted by BeDome View Post
    Glad someone mentioned this.

I have had successes using GPA for various compression driver diaphragms over the past few years and one instance of reconing a pair of 421A 15" drivers. Also they were able to supply "new(/re-newed?) replacement" compression drivers.

I got great service from GPA having two 288G's directly sent from their eBay seller to them for re-fram and re-mag without having to go through German customs twice.

Quote Originally Posted by BeDome View Post
    Too bad to hear that they may not be stable. Hope this is not true.
    Not sure any of this rumour is founded at all, and surely hope it is not. Mr. Hanuschak has offered great service to thousands of Altec units and is simply ESSENTIAL for the continued well-being of Altec (Lansing) among us. He also does great units of new Altec ca 1980-90 drivers (incl AlNiCo) at VERY reasonable prices. Greatest of those the 288H current production alnico, all on original machinery to my knowledge.

Ralph

Thread Information