Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: dbx venu360

Quote Originally Posted by NWCgrad View Post
    I will finally be ordering a Venu360 in a few days.....cannot wait!
    Nice. Let us know how you like it!
    DIY Array, 2242 sub, 4408, 4208, Control 8SR, E120 Guitar cab, Control 1, LSR305.

I received the Venu360 today, unfortunately I am sick and cannot find the will to install it. I guess it will have to wait. Sucks being sick on my last day of vacation.

I installed the venu360 (replacing a Peavey VSX-26) to provide the XO/DSP for my DIY three-way speakers (detailed in the DIY forum). Did not have the measurement microphone as I stupidly didn't order one with the purchase (I have rectified this oversight and it arrived shortly after I was finished for the day). Set arbitrary XO values: LF: 25 Hz, BW-18/200 Hz, LR-48; MF: 200 Hz, LR-48/1500 Hz, LR-48; HF: 1500 Hz, LR-48/Flat. Using Pink Noise from an old Stereophile test CD I set each driver to within 0.5 dB (required tweaking the amplifier input gain knobs and adding a 1.5 dB boost to the LF and MF in the venu360). I did not set any DFSP filters or a HF Horn setting and have not ran any measurements as yet.

However, as is the system sounds significantly better than the Peavey VSX-26 (even though I had used measurements and DSP to adjust the response to a +/- 3 dB window at the primary listening position). The Peavey unit seemed to add HF hash that was irritating and had resulted in me only using the system for home theater where it was less noticeable. The dbx unit is clearly the superior product, although the Peavey unit seems fine for managing my dual subwoofers. However, I cannot be 100% positive it is all the dbx unit, as I also added a new Crown CT4150 amp for the HF/MF drivers and a Crown XLS-1500 amp for the LF drivers. Santa was very good to me this year!!!!

I am not used to products not having an on/off button (my old Behringer products had them so its not merely a pro audio quirk). What are you guys doing? I assume just leaving them on 24/7 but wanted to ask.

Once I get the measurement rig setup (purchased a new laptop, my old windows computer was tied to the basement theater and I rarely want to work on a computer down there to post data to the forums) I will get crackin' an dialing in my speakers (will post the dial-in effort on my build thread here on LH).

Overall, I am quite pleased with this unit. Lots of fun times to be had.

Why not use the internal pink noise generator?

I left mine on for the first month and recently got a power conditioner which I use to switch off the 360.

Congrats on the purchase. I'm sure you'll have fun experimenting.​Warren
    DIY Array, 2242 sub, 4408, 4208, Control 8SR, E120 Guitar cab, Control 1, LSR305.

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Zeppeli View Post
    Why not use the internal pink noise generator?

I left mine on for the first month and recently got a power conditioner which I use to switch off the 360.

Congrats on the purchase. I'm sure you'll have fun experimenting.​Warren
    Because that would have been to easy..... I was actually thinking that I needed the microphone hooked up to use the internal pink noise, not sure why I thought that.

I have a remote controlled power strip I can use for the DSP units, I need to find it in my old equipment closet.

I also need to print the manual, I hate reading them on my phone.

Having fun playing with the venu?

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Zeppeli View Post
    Having fun playing with the venu?
    I am! It is a very powerful piece of gear. I am waiting to really dig into the feature set once I get my WiFi router --> Ethernet adaptor online so I can run the setup/controls via my Android app.

I saw "WiFi router" after seeing construction progress pics and was thinking WTF? (woodworking tool fetish?)
    Carry on.

The WiFi router arrived, forgot to order an ethernet cable and do not have one laying around. Will have to go get one.

Quote Originally Posted by NWCgrad View Post
    The WiFi router arrived, forgot to order an ethernet cable and do not have one laying around. Will have to go get one.
    Can't you interface with the software via USB as well?

Yes..but I prefer to use the app so I can stay sitting on my fat butt during setup. Epitome of laziness I know.

Thread Information