Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: dbx venu360

Quote Originally Posted by bubbleboy76 View Post
    Anyone compared venu360 against dbx 4820 yet, regarding sound quality?
    It doesn't sound like anyone around here has one yet and from what I've seen on Google there aren't many using it for hifi at this stage. Prosoundweb says it's a step up from the PA series but not in the same league as 48XX stuff but I haven't seen any side-by-side comparisons; all speculation.
    DIY Array, 2242 sub, 4408, 4208, Control 8SR, E120 Guitar cab, Control 1, LSR305.

I've had mine now since Friday. First impressions are pretty good. It feels like a pro piece of kit; good quality and quite intuitive controls. It introduces zero detectable sound on its own. This is only my second foray into DSP. My first being a Behringer DEQ and it's miles ahead in build quality and sound transparency.

If I have the time I'll put up a review.

Honestly my main worry is that they drop the product and stop updating even though it's early on in the cycle. I think they tried to fill a niche and perhaps it's not selling. There is scant information about it on the internet and it's been out for almost two years. I love it but am concerned that it may be the betamax in the VHS war.

We'll see what tomorrow brings but at this point in time I have no regrets.

Cheers,

Warren
    DIY Array, 2242 sub, 4408, 4208, Control 8SR, E120 Guitar cab, Control 1, LSR305.

The 360 is waaaaaayyyyy above the PA series!!!

Did you connect yours to a router and control it with it's app, the 360 control app is available for PC's, Ipads, Macs and Android devices.

What firmware version are you running in yours.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Caldwell View Post

Did you connect yours to a router and control it with it's app, the 360 control app is available for PC's, Ipads, Macs and Android devices.

I have the latest firmware 2.0.5(?) which it came loaded with and yes I've used the app extensively from my PC which is great. The one thing I will say is that there is still quite a lot more functionality using the hardware controls than the software. That said, I was up and running my bi-amped 2.1 setup 100 percent from the app very quickly.

It's really nice to do the RTA functions all in the box. I can view the 31 band graphing (real-time) on my laptop via the software and then manipulate the PEQs on the unit itself. In the next iteration of the software I'd like to see some finer resolution capability on the graph. It'd be nice to zoom in to the bass frequencies and tweak it from there. There are plenty of parametric options available. I can always open REW up for finer analysis in the meantime.

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Zeppeli View Post
    I have the latest firmware 2.0.5(?) which it came loaded with and yes I've used the app extensively from my PC which is great. The one thing I will say is that there is still quite a lot more functionality using the hardware controls than the software. That said, I was up and running my bi-amped 2.1 setup 100 percent from the app very quickly.

Some of the utility set functions are only available on the unit it self. All of the audio control functions are available on the app, nothing can beat walking around and adjusting the system with an iPad!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Caldwell View Post

Have you compared against dbx 4820? Would it be a downgrade soundwise to swap 4820
    to 360?

Sorry, can't help much there, I have never had the chance to use a DBX 4820.

From what I've read by most counts (and price) the 48xx are superior. I haven't done a side by side either but can say that I have so far heard no artifacts from the Venu360. Maybe in ultra-high gain situations the difference becomes apparent or maybe the price difference can be explained by other feature sets; or maybe I'm going deaf.

From what I've read by most counts (and price) the 48xx are superior. I haven't done a side by side either but can say that I have so far heard no artifacts from the Venu360. Maybe in ultra-high gain situations the difference becomes apparent or maybe the price difference can be explained by other feature sets; or maybe I'm going deaf.
    For what it's worth when I got one 360 to try out one of things I wanted to see was how it sounded when being driven into clip on the inputs and outputs (not that I run my systems like that!!!) surprisingly it held together really well considering the signal level I was pushing through it. Sure it got a kind of warm and fuzzy sounding but it did not go off into harsh digital clipping.

Interesting to note that Sanders Audio sells their electrostatic speakers Model 10e with the Venu360 as the included active crossover system.

I'd never heard of them but stumbled across their site in my searches.

FYI.

Interesting to note that Sanders Audio sells their electrostatic speakers Model 10e with the Venu360 as the included active crossover system.

I'd never heard of them but stumbled across their site in my searches.

FYI.
    I guess the above post was semi-redundant without the link.

http://www.sanderssoundsystems.com/d...0C_Speaker.pdf

Very happy with the Venu360. I've had plenty of time to play with set-ups varying from sine wave sweeps to pink noise RTA. I now have it to a point where I am satisfied.

Again, using compression drivers, there is no discernible noise introduced from the system. Even with my C-grade amplification (gain-staging is everything) it's very quiet. I'm using a Crown XLS 1500 to power a 4645C clone, a Soundcraftsman 5002 for the 15s and a Samson Servo 120 to power the SAM1HFs. I'm going directly from the digital output of my Sonos Connect into the dbx and using the Sonos app for volume control.

On paper you could rip my front end to shreds but I assure, aside from some hiss out of the Soundcraftsman amp, there is no noise or detectable artifacts that I can hear.

Two thumbs up.

Sounds like a hodge-podge of amplificarion, but with good results.

I am currently dialing in my three-way active design using a collection of amps. Unfortunately I am lacking enough pro amps and have to use a consumer grade amp (temporarily) for the CD. I am getting unacceptable hiss levels, no doubt due to gain structure issues (I have a Henry Engineering Matchbox HD, but will be buying another pro amp so I can ditch the consumer amp).

Yes, balanced is nice.

I'll upgrade over time as things become available. I have a K1 upstairs I could hijack but it seems unnecessary at the moment.

Not much info on amplification for the SAM1HFs out there but I'd like to find something in the 150 wpc range that's smooth and sweet.

In the meanwhile, no complaints.

I will finally be ordering a Venu360 in a few days.....cannot wait!

Thread Information