Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: dbx venu360

dbx venu360

The successor of the dbx 260 is here, the dbx venu360.

Lower price ($699). 7 times the processing power. 3 in 6 out analog. Digital inputs. 8 PEQ per output and 12 PEQ per input. iPad control app.

Anyone tried it yet?

I hope the lower price is not reflected in its sound quality.

The shop has one but I don't think it has been tried out yet.

Being a Utah boy and DBX having been manufactured in Sandy Utah I was devastated but not surprised to see Made in China on the box. I decided not to take one home yet.

Barry.
    If we knew what the hell we were doing, we wouldn't call it research would we.

DBX VENU 360 vs DBX DriveRAck PA2

Quote Originally Posted by bubbleboy76 View Post
    The successor of the dbx 260 is here, the dbx venu360.

Lower price ($699). 7 times the processing power. 3 in 6 out analog. Digital inputs. 8 PEQ per output and 12 PEQ per input. iPad control app.

Anyone tried it yet?

I hope the lower price is not reflected in its sound quality.
    Hi,

Interesting el.network, but I think for home listening STEREO 3-way speakers, half-priced (Amazon.com - 330$) DBX DriveRack PA2 can be satisfactory option.
    regards
    ivica

I have 3 speakers (L-C-R), so for me it is interesting.

Resurrecting an old thread instead of starting a new one. Looking at building a pair of three way active speakers using all JBL Pro drivers and the DBX-V360 as the DSP. Three-way concept is a fusion of the VTX F12 and F18S into one cabinet for a full range speaker (70% 2-channel music, 10% multichannel SACD/Blu-ray, 5% Blu-ray concerts, and 15% movies in 7.1.4 Dolby Atmos).

Now that it has been out for awhile is there an opinion on its sound quality? I have tried miniDSP units for subs and am not wanting to go that route for mains.

Would go with the Xilica XD lineup but I like the pricing of the DBX unit. The ability to add the measurement microphone is also a plus. I am thinking that once the speakers are built I can take them outside and use the auto room correction feature to fine tune the response of the speakers without room influence, then transfer those settings into the output DSP filter bank. The input PEQ filters or autocorrection can then be used to fine tune the speakers in room. Seems to be a very useful feature.

I have had six of them in my various sound system equipment racks since January. My system does sound better with using them for crossover, EQ, limiting and driver time alignment. The added bonuses are being able to walk around the event area and EQ the system with my iPad as well as having various system configuration presets stored in all the units.
    The two things I attribute most to the improvement is using steeper crossover slopes and the driver time alignment.
    Plan on spending some time to get them properly set up and "tweaked".

If you don't have any measurement equipment or software you can roughly set the driver time alignment by ear.
    Say you need to delay the mid and low drivers to compensate for the high frequency driver being mounted on a horn that puts the high frequency driver's voice coil maybe 10 inches deep in the speaker cabinet.
    - reverse the polarity of the mid driver.
    - apply a sine wave tone to the system at the crossover frequency between mid to high, does not need to be very loud!
    - match the output levels/volume between the mid and highs.
    - start applying delay slowly to the mid out while on axis maybe 10 or so feet in front of the speaker.
    - you will hear the level null out, or close to it when you get the delay of the mid driver to match the high frequency horn driver off set.
    - if setting up a three way system start with mids and highs first and then do the same thing with the mids and lows, delaying the lows to match the mids.

Note that some speaker designs will have the mid and high drivers wired in reversed polarity from each other, in that case there is no need to reverse the polarity, remember to rewire the speaker correctly if you did need to reverse the polarity for testing.
    Reversing the polarity will create a phase cancellation null when the drivers are in time alignment making it easy to hear.

The delay time will be fractions of a millisecond.
    You will usually hit a couple of null points, it will normally be the one that the delay is closest to equaling the physical offset and creating the deepest null cancellation.
    While not a high tech way of setting up driver alignment it's still better then trying to measure the drivers with a tape measure and input the needed delay times.

I never used the auto Eq function for any set up.

Thanks for the response, always great to read from those with first hand experience with a product. Based on the spec sheet, this does seem like a really nice unit. With being a 3 in, 6 out device I would only need one for my LCR theater speakers. I like having DSP separate from amps.

So did you buy this unit? How do you like it for hi-fi?

Warren
    DIY Array, 2242 sub, 4408, 4208, Control 8SR, E120 Guitar cab, Control 1, LSR305.

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Zeppeli View Post
    So did you buy this unit? How do you like it for hi-fi?

Warren
    Not yet, I am still in the process of building the speakers. At first I will use a Peavey VSX processor I already own. Looking to purchase the DBX unit in the Spring when my wife forgets how much I have already spent on this project.

Quote Originally Posted by NWCgrad View Post
    Not yet, I am still in the process of building the speakers. At first I will use a Peavey VSX processor I already own. Looking to purchase the DBX unit in the Spring when my wife forgets how much I have already spent on this project.
    Good thinking. I'll let you know how it sounds if I get it first.

Cheers,

Warren
    DIY Array, 2242 sub, 4408, 4208, Control 8SR, E120 Guitar cab, Control 1, LSR305.

Cheers,

Warren

I have never used any of mine in my home system but in my PA production systems the systems sound very open with more separation of details than with my analog crossovers. I addition to the driver time alignment the steeper 48db crossover slopes I think is a big part of that with less driver frequency overlap at the crossover points. It's easy to make a comparison while listening as you select between the different the crossover cutoff slope choices.

For what it's a worth I now have seven of them!

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Caldwell View Post
    I have never used any of mine in my home system but in my PA production systems the systems sound very open with more separation of details than with my analog crossovers. I addition to the driver time alignment the steeper 48db crossover slopes I think is a big part of that with less driver frequency overlap at the crossover points. It's easy to make a comparison while listening as you select between the different the crossover cutoff slope choices.

For what it's a worth I now have seven of them!
    Thanks Mike. I especially like the 3in/6out configuration which would allow me to eq my sub as well.

Did you upgrade from previous Driverack units?

Warren

Thanks Mike. I especially like the 3in/6out configuration which would allow me to eq my sub as well.

Did you upgrade from previous Driverack units?

Warren
    Hello

I went straight from analog TDM crossovers to the DBX360's.

In some configurations I use the third input for what they in live sound "aux fed subs" where you mix to the subs only what you want/need to go to the subs.
    In other configurations I use them for three bi-amped monitor mixes.

Mike C

Cheers,

Warren
    Will be following to see how you like it. I am making a three way build, so this unit is perfect (unless I ever get motivated to build a center to go with them then I need another unit).

Best
    Steve

Anyone compared venu360 against dbx 4820 yet, regarding sound quality?

Thread Information