Thread: adding a florescent lume.

adding a florescent lume.

My pioneer tx9500 has a engraved face and am/fm dial, I think I have not opened up the tuner.
    But the engraving is black, and difficult to see in the evening hours,
    I thought about my recent watch lume, and thought why not add the florescent to the am/fm
    And face.

Where could I have this done.

Heres a dial for reference.

Name:  $_57 (16).jpg
Views: 435
Size:  34.7 KB

Quote Originally Posted by bldozier View Post
    I have not opened up the tuner.
    But the engraving is black, and difficult to see in the evening hours,
    Are you sure it's not just a simple lamp(s) (burned out) problem?

I do not know with any certainty, but could easily imagine what you propose costing you more than the receiver is worth, dollars and cents wise

Sansui made a few tuner models with zero illumination bulbs, as in NONE, but I have never come across an (un)illuminated Pioeneer

Doesn't mean anything, what I haven't seen

What I have seen is a lot of hobbyists and enthusiasts improving/installing/customizing tuners and receiver rulers themselves; tons of information on-line

LEDs seem to be one of the more popular solutions

Name:  TX9500.jpg
Views: 493
Size:  67.0 KB

No led in the dial selection, however under correct lighting, the need for added clarity may be unwarranted, I was looking at a g7500 when I had that idea.

If I could mix lume and apply I would try it but some tasks are better suited for professionals craftsmanship, rather novice.

But I dont see a heavy cost here, for what reasons did price play a role In response.

Quote Originally Posted by bldozier View Post
    No led in the dial selection, however under correct lighting, the need for added clarity may be unwarranted, I was looking at a g7500 when I had that idea.

If I could mix lume and apply I would try it but some tasks are better suited for professionals craftsmanship, rather novice.

But I dont see a heavy cost here, for what reasons did price play a role In response.
    You ADD them (LEDs or incandescent), ergo the word "customizing".............the options and choices are only limited by your imagination and skill

I have augmented ruler illumination on several vintage radios myself, the greatest challenge being introducing them into the circuit without stressing the power supply (what I have done was on old tube sets and the dial lighting was in series with the small tube heaters in all instances)

Price played a role because it is not going to be cheap as well as the fact that the original radioluminescent "paints" were all but banned in the U.S.A. decades ago (they are/were radioactive) but are still used on a few specialty applications

They have been supplanted, primarily, with the use of safer phosphorescent types but I don't think those will give you what you want results and performance wise

Your best bet would be to seek the services of a watch or clock face restorer and that is not going to be cheap (if you are just bound and determined to go in that direction); your most cost effective and practical solution will be to get some secondary lighting going

I do not know exactly what you have in mind, character by character or a treatment of the whole scale?), but to find someone with the skill to apply it and who has the "paint" required ain't going to be cheap. I guarantee it

If it's so easy (and you feel the need to disagree with my assessment/response to your inquiry) then why post the question? Just "google" it and buy the appropriate spray bomb of "glow in the dark" treatment or whatever you need to pull it off from Amazon..............best of luck with that

The meters in the photo need re-lamping by the way.....that or new diffuser paper; when that Pioneer was new those meters were nice and bright

I'll ask again; have you actually looked and determined if you just don't need to replace some burned out lamps? If it has lamps and they're burned out, replace them. Problem solved

If it is a design that was supplied sans lamps then determine where you want to put them (rather, where they'd need to go), do the arithmetic and buy the needed package types with the appropriate voltage and draw and install them. Problem solved

Whatever you do, best of luck to you

think a lume would work still srry.

Thread Information