Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Finally, someone cares about quality

Quote Originally Posted by Krunchy View Post
    Say something once why say it again....... But you go right ahead with your thread, very entertaining.
    Well, I'm still waiting for you to say something substantive in support of your opinions/name calling. Try reading what I said/wrote in post#13.

I made it clear why I said what I said and I stand by it, regardless the fact that you find it "one of the stupidest remarks I've eve read".

Neil Young is irrelevant musically and has been for years (and years). When what's left of us boomers have passed it'll be "Neil who?"

Quote Originally Posted by SEAWOLF97 View Post
    cannot agree abt jack or Neil. JW will develop as much talent as Jimmy Page. Neil ? he's great in small doses, but after an entire album ..he tends to come across as whiny.
    I own at least one copy of every record they ever made and bought them all when they first came out. I, like you, lived through Zeppelin's career path (well, listened to it anyway). I even bought "No Quarter" for that version of "That's the Way". I think "Houses of the Holy" is one of the baddest ass (and underrated) records ever made for partying, hardcore '70s style..........................that said

Jimmy Page was incredibly lucky, right place at the right time with the "right" sound.
    Turning White kids in the suburbs on to Black peoples's music and living the bad ass rock 'n' roller/Blues man life style.

Most of Page's music has the same effect on me as you say brass has on you..............it sounds like shit to my ears. Then his tripping off on his Middle-Eastern/Moroccan crap, very tiresome...................

For some reason, the current crop of kids have all adopted him as their savior; guess that's a commentary on the current state of Rock and Roll.

That "UnLedded" ego trip (and all about the money maker) from back in '94 is 90 minutes of my life I'd like to have back.

Jimmy Page; King, Master and Guru in Chief of re-issuing and remastering the same tired shit.

Page definitely has disciples, I understand that, I congratulate him on his great success and more power to him.......................but I ain't one of 'em.

Jack White either; he's just a little douche. More about the coolness hip factor than anything worth listening to (and I've given him a serious try from all of his incarnations/"bands" starting with the "White Stripes")...........BUT, to each his own.

That's the beauty of it I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Wagner View Post
    Most of Page's music has the same effect on me as you say brass has on you..............it sounds like shit to my ears.
    Can't stand "Stairway.." anymore , but "Levvy & Gallows Pole" are faves ... LZ is real hit & miss with me .... not a blind follower here.

yes, MOST brass drives me _____ , BUT there is 1 album that I can stand and listen to more than once. Herb Alpert "Rise" , yeah it's pop , but it's compatible with my ears.

BUT I like a lot of Classical , especially LVB (symphony's) , Vivaldi and many can't stand the genre.

I'm a DOORS fan , but most anything they did LIVE was putrid. Go figure ??

Back to thread topic ... IMHO the for the vast majority of LIVE music is the opposite of QUALITY. (with a few exceptions), might as well reserve compressed MP3's for live concerts or bootlegs.
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

Well, I'm still waiting for you to say something substantive in support of your opinions/name calling. Try reading what I said/wrote in post#13.

I made it clear why I said what I said and I stand by it, regardless the fact that you find it "one of the stupidest remarks I've eve read".

Neil Young is irrelevant musically and has been for years (and years). When what's left of us boomers have passed it'll be "Neil who?"
    Sorry to keep you waiting.

Listen, first off I sincerely would like to apologize for the "name calling" stupid, on my behalf. Rather "what sounds good is what someone tells him" I'll call it "one of the most outrageous remarks I've ever read" and I stand by that.

He is old he probably has tinnitus but I think he is more than capable of knowing what truly good sound/tone is to him,even if other people dont like it. I simply happen to like his sound and tone, I cant listen to him all the time though. I've heard the name Jack white and some of his stuff but I dont see anything special, original or amazing about him, he can play guitar and is the flavor of the month, good for him, hope he saves his money.
    I get a feeling you really dont like him too much and thats fine, you've summed up/reduced his career to three albums, I disagree. Again this is really all very objective as you well know. If you dont like the rest of his work after those three albums thats cool, you're entitled to your opinion but you are generalizing quite a bit on a variety of different topics, I wont elaborate on this, read your own posts.
    Will he be remembered 100-200 years from now, I would think yes, will everyone be seeking out his work, probably not, who the hell knows. We may not be around 100-200 years from now (you and I certainly wont!).
    NY is not my guru but I do like his work, simple as that, not all of it.

Is he cashing in, absolutely, but who the hell isnt?.....The stones, who, led zep, aerosmith, heck if I could cash in I would and so would you, unfortunately I dont have anything to cash in on. You want them to at "least be honest', who really is these days, thats not how you cash in. we're all hypocrites, how many "last tour" has the who done and I love Pete but I wont go to his shows, been there done that.

There was some talk about Bill Evans, I gave my friend a copy on one of his albums and he disregarded it as Lounge music so go figure. I lean more towards Clark's ranking....at the top, but thats just my personal taste.
    I dont know that I address everything you have been talking about in this thread you're kinda all over the place, & I did read all your posts.
    Yes they are all cashing in, all re-issuing, re-masters but we know that so F___! them

The reason why I started to read this thread was cause I wanted to see what you guys thought of the PONO, (which he is plugging the crap our of, its all over his book Waging heavy peace). Seemed like an interesting subject, I personally hate the Ipod, it sucks.

Back on topic. Has anyone here had experience with this device, it seems like it still has a lot of things that need to be improved. From what I've read elsewhere I get the feeling its not going to be The Gadget to get too many quirks, expensive and I think besides neils stuff not a lot of other artists jumping on the bandwagon, I hope I am wrong.
    Or at least I hope someone invents a new (preferably non apple) that is not only capable of producing great sound but quite possibly some new unforeseen capabilities.
    Just Play Music.

Again this is really all very objective as you well know.
    Yes, yes it is. I tried my best to be as objective with my remarks regarding Neil Young and his "PONO scheme" as I could.
    That was some post; well received but not expected.
    Thanks for sharing!
    Thomas

Yes, yes it is. I tried my best to be as objective with my remarks regarding Neil Young and his "PONO scheme" as I could.That was some post; well received but not expected.Thanks for sharing!Thomas
    I admire the man but he can be a bit of (as they say in France) a Dauche in person depending on his mood.....I cant blame him for that, who can be in a good mood all the time?
    Peace !
    Just Play Music.

I admire the man but he can be a bit of a (as they say in France) Dauche in person depending on his mood.....I can totally relate I have donned the Dauche outfit from time to time.

Peace !
    A while back PBS ran old eps of the 1969 Johnny Cash variety TV show.

When NY came on, he was a shy guy who just looked at his feet and did not really make any
    eye contact with the studio audience. Did his song and just packed up and left. Socially a dud.

If all I knew about him came from this appearance, my opinion would be that he's a fine studio performer, but LIVE is a no-go for him.

All this talk about only 3 good albums ? "On the Beach" is great ..IMHO

A while back PBS ran old eps of the 1969 Johnny Cash variety TV show.

When NY came on, he was a shy guy who just looked at his feet and did not really make any
    eye contact with the studio audience. Did his song and just packed up and left. Socially a dud.

If all I knew about him came from this appearance, my opinion would be that he's a fine studio performer, but LIVE is a no-go for him.

From what I've read I know he is very demanding of himself and his band, with him music comes FIRST, aside from family. He can be a bastard and moody, its impossible for me to say anything beyond his musical persona since I dont know him personally. There's a clip on utube from Massey hall (very intimate setting) where he tells a girl not to take pictures while he's singing/performing cause it ruins his concentration and instead take them between songs. He doenst suffer fools and is outspoken nowadays. I know many people who hate the Beatles, NY and on and on, some guy told me he hated Mark Knopfler but that he was an "alright guit player"
    Until some new magical mythical digital device manifests itself I'm actually getting ready to get my turntable set up and go back to basics.
    Just Play Music.

I didn't say that; I said there were three by which all subsequent have been compared/related to............and the benchmark for which Neil has constantly labored to revisit.

I own a lot of his records and I can hear.

Good example? "Harvest Moon" He's either hearkening back or trying some sort of reinvention, like with "Are You Passionate"; I ain't buyin'

And his message is stuck in 1972 as well.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harvest_Moon_(album)

From whoever wrote his Wikipedia entry; I couldn't agree more:
    "Young's work since Harvest (1972) had alternated between being rejected by mass audiences and being seen as backward-looking by critics, sometimes both at once, and now he was suddenly viewed as relevant by a new generation, who began to discover his earlier work."

"PONO" and his bromance with Jack White ain't going to change the fact that what Neil's got to say is played, unless you're a boomer or some millennial who's down with his "coolness" factor.

His music for the past 3 decades plus has been mediocre at best. There is ALMOST ALWAYS one VERY good song on all of his records; maybe he should really go retro and get back into the "singles" game. ALMOST an album a year for decades and for the most part, ALL filler and LITTLE killer. The same can be said for a lot of artists and bands, just doesn't qualify them as some sort of icon (that's all I'm saying).

Curt Cobain's comments and the Clinton years are largely responsible for a new generation "rediscovering" his tired old hippie shit. Keep on Rockin' in the Free World, dood................

I think it's really ironic and amusing too that he's about a day late and a dollar short on his shitty portable music player as well. Even the Generation Yers and the "linksters" don't want it.

Maybe he and Jack should promote a revival of the little RCA 45 players and just release their occasional "good" songs?

Neil Young is a half assed musician an activist and a professional uber liberal hypocrite. Thanks in large part to associations, both present and past (his pals) and his message, someone, somewhere, will always think "he's da man"

I'm just not one of them.

OK, I'll give you .... NY may be past his pull date , but I can still enjoy
    selections (best of) comps like many other artists.
    Most everybody who once was "in the limelight" is trying to cash in on former
    "good times". It's the way of fame/fortune. Maintain the lifestyle.

Ny as a tech guru ? I don't see any background for it. If he wants to risk his own
    capitol on another device in an already crowded field, and it makes him happy, who cares ?

I won't be buying a PONO, my portable listening is done in non-critical situations and mainly to
    make miles go by faster or to induce sleep.

All this NY & his device BS does not affect my life in any possible way. Let it die.

OK, I'll give you .... NY may be past his pull date , but I can still enjoy
    selections (best of) comps like many other artists.
    Most everybody who once was "in the limelight" is trying to cash in on former
    "good times". It's the way of fame/fortune. Maintain the lifestyle.

Ny as a tech guru ? I don't see any background for it. If he wants to risk his own
    capitol on another device in an already crowded field, and it makes him happy, who cares ?

I won't be buying a PONO, my portable listening is done in non-critical situations and mainly to
    make miles go by faster or to induce sleep.

All this NY & his device BS does not affect my life in any possible way. Let it die.
    You're right.............
    My (sincere) apologies man for the Neil Young rant..........it's more about all the new found and wannabe techie writers/hipster/grunge scene/tree hugger/how altruistic he is worship than anything said here in this thread, by you or anyone else..................just got me wound up. The selfless music icon gone "global citizen" hero

I mean, there's a LOT of good people doing good work, inside and outside of the music biz (and a hell of a lot more important/productive) than Neil Young and you never hear about them.

Like our VETERANS to cite just one example

Didn't mean to be an "A" hole about it. Just tired of the trend.

don't open that can o' ....

"Thank You for your service..." (so I didn't have to .... )
    "Have a nice day" etc.
    OR, Keep On Rockin' In The Free World! (U.S.A. anyway)

Quote Originally Posted by rusty jefferson View Post
    Not sure how excellent it is. Saw this video interview with Mark Waldrep of AIX Records. In the interview he mentions Pono's claim about 2 million "Hi Rez" songs. In fact, according to him, they only have 4000 transfers (remasters) from original studio master tapes to 24 bit (what Neil Young did to his catalog). The rest are simply upsampled cds. Even the 24 bit remasters won't have the dynamic range of a true 24 bit recording, but it is necessary to drag all the information possible out of that tape. Upsampling for profit is a scam.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VzX_MBoz5wc
    I get Mark Waldreps daily blog. His complaint is not with the Pono player which seems to deliver pretty good quality (overpriced and weird shape not withstanding) but with Pono Music website where most downloads are just upsampled CD tracks. As you said, upsampling is a complete scam. Mark is crusading for providing provenance with every recording. The sound quality is only as good as the weakest link in the delivery chain. A million bits and megahertz sampling will not improve a source file that has limited frequency response and dynamic range to begin with. There can be no "Hi Rez" versions of recordings from the 70's, 80's, etc.

Personally, I'm not so sure that anything beyond CD spec is necessary, at least at this stage in life. Perhaps teenage girls can tell the difference but given the music they listen to and the reproduction chain they use, "Hi Rez" would be wasted on them too.

Neil Young is being very hypocritical when he demonizes CD quality then promotes these downloads.

I am a NY fan and think he has quite a few more than 3 good albums, Zuma is one. Anyone with his staying power and who has reinvented himself as many times as NY has is a national treasure. I remember reading a Stereo Review record review in the 70's and the reviewer called him a musical idiot savant. I think he got it right. Good musician, just don't bother listening to anything else he has to say.

Quote Originally Posted by dr_gallup View Post
    I am a NY fan and think he has quite a few more than 3 good albums, Zuma is one. Anyone with his staying power and who has reinvented himself as many times as NY has is a national treasure. I remember reading a Stereo Review record review in the 70's and the reviewer called him a musical idiot savant. I think he got it right. Good musician, just don't bother listening to anything else he has to say.
    Man, I wish you guys would please stop misconstruing what I said about those three albums, glomming onto just that small part of what I said and using it out of context (the 3 albums part).
    There are plenty of recording stars who have basically recycled the same musical ideas into dozens of albums and done quite well with it.
    My point is it doesn't mean they are musical giants or icons, just successful record makers...........and enjoy whatever degree of popularity it is that they have.
    The "PONO" deal must not be working out as planned though, Neil's asking Donald Trump for money to pour into it, Trump gives it a pass so out of the blue Neil doesn't want Trump playing his song, so yeah, I'd agree with the hypocrite part as well (although I think I already did on several other "issues" with Mr. Young)
    CNN is about as liberal as it gets, so unless they're out to harm Neil's rep, I believe this story (Trump's "tweet"):
    http://www.cnn.com/2015/10/12/politi...yler-dream-on/

Maybe more than enough people still do (already) care about "quality", just not "PONO"?
    Maybe?

Quote Originally Posted by dr_gallup View Post
    I remember reading a Stereo Review record review in the 70's and the reviewer called him a musical idiot savant. I think he got it right. Good musician, just don't bother listening to anything else he has to say.
    I think the reviewer may have been on to something:
    "We"?:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1qi2ipQHzXU
    http://www.lincvolt.com/

Thread Information