Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: L65 vs L5

Pacific Northwest, but North-er and West-er
    Despite the above-mentioned peculiarities, they're one of my three favorite speakers in rotation. I wasn't all that impressed at first when they were setting on the floor. Getting them up a good 12-16 inches fixed all the tubby bass, and getting them up a bit higher yet really allowed the tweeters to shine. They can cut glass, but you don't have to play them like that.

As-is they're really nice, but since there's so many things to improve that might pay off I've chosen these speakers to be my long term project, to include proper stands and charge coupled crossovers. The one irksome bit which will take the most effort no doubt is rebuilding a cabinet baffle to make them mirror imaged. At the moment I don't much care about present or future value. Knowing that I could change my mind in the future though, prompted me to hedge my bets so I acquired a spare cabinet and spare crossover boards to hack about with in case I (or my kids) ever want to return them to original condition.
    I control the treble.
    I control the bass.

I find the 077s more resolving than the emits/semits in my Kappa 9s. Amazing. I found just leaning them back pads down the bottom end by reducing standing waves. I think they would benefit from this even on pedestals. Also for the sake of time-alignment.

It would be interesting to listen to two pairs stacked. I think they'd be killer.

Thread Information