Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My new (to me) 4345s

My new (to me) 4345s

Well here they are. After full evaluation, they are really really nice. Even the black "riser" boards on the bottom are pretty much perfect (no chipping/water damage). One cabinet had some paper taped to it (that's not chipping/scratches in the veneer). The only thing is there are a few water spots on top, but they are much less noticeable than the flash shows, but I'll still have to fix them (I'll probably need some advice on that, can I just use Danish Oil?). Other than the water spots, the cabinets just need oil and are perfect, no scratches or dents. The drivers seem OK aside from refoaming, but I haven't actually tested them. The grilles are perfect, no tears. One grille even has the little hanging JBL "Grill Maintenance" card on the inside, pretty cool.

The McIntosh gear is nice. The C32 seems perfect. The MC2105 after closer inspection has some slight bubbling on the faceplate, and also has some rust around the fuse plug on the chrome chassis. The MC2205 is quite a bit rougher, almost like it doesn't seem to be part of this set, considering the condition of the other equipment. The faceplate is cracked and the chrome chassis is rusted/blemished all around. The external JBL network is nice looking.

I don't know if you guys remember me, but my first real set of JBLs were a pair of L150s (see picture below of the day I came home with them). I got a lot of help over on AK from members on this site (Shane, Mech, and others, Thanks!), one of the LF drivers had the cone separated from the former. So I took a reminiscent shot with the new 4345s.

Here are the pictures I took last night (please excuse the clutter, yesterday was crazy).

(This picture shows the paper that was taped to the side of the cabinet):

The McIntosh gear:

Wow, again! I don't recall you mentioning you also got the JBL crossover with the correct cards. Nice bonus!

Can't wait till you get them all repaired and we can hear you say that the sound brought tears of joy!

You should register the serial number here since we're told there are only 200 pairs ever produced.

Have fun!
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Believe it or not !

I have removed some water marks by vigorously buffing with .....toothpaste.

can't do any damage and will at least leave them smelling "minty fresh "
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

Quote Originally Posted by BMWCCA View Post
    Wow, again! I don't recall you mentioning you also got the JBL crossover with the correct cards. Nice bonus!

You should register the serial number here since we're told there are only 200 pairs ever produced.

In my fit of joy I forgot to mention the crossover.

I'd like to do this, do you by chance have a link?

EDIT: The other neat thing was that these were located about 1 mile from my house. Who would have thought.

Thank you!

Greg

That's a really great deal!! I know people here in the Waukesha/Milwaukee area that look everyday for stuff like this, but these pair were really meant for you. It's also good to see other people from Wisconsin on the forum. Congrats .

Registry

Quote Originally Posted by Greg86z28 View Post
    I'd like to do this, do you by chance have a link?
    See if this thread makes it clear as mud! : http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...umber-registry
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Quote Originally Posted by BMWCCA View Post
    See if this thread makes it clear as mud! : http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...umber-registry
    Perfect.

Thanks!

The McIntosh gear:

Oh WOW!!! What a deal you got there!!!

Cracked these open over the weekend (to make them lighter and easier to move) and found that the tweeters are mismatched. One is a JBL 2405 and the other is a 2405H. My understanding from reading here is they should sound identical but simply have a different magnet? I wonder if at some point in the life of the speakers the tweeter died and an original 2405 couldn't be obtained?

Greg

Cracked these open over the weekend (to make them lighter and easier to move) and found that the tweeters are mismatched. One is a JBL 2405 and the other is a 2405H. My understanding from reading here is they should sound identical but simply have a different magnet? I wonder if at some point in the life of the speakers the tweeter died and an original 2405 couldn't be
    Greg
    The H means 8 Ohms. You should take the measurement on it to see if they are identical...
    Christophe

well, in this case it means Ferrite magnet.
    Normally, yes ... in the Ferrite or Neo based series, H would mean nominal 8 ohms.
    (vs F, G, or J being 2, 4, or 16). Unless things have changed.

Older series seem to mostly just use the numbers and sometimes add an A or B suffix
    that mostly means an impedance difference, but not always, or not always -only- an impedance difference.

They should sound alike.
    My experience is that all 2405 and 2405H. measure slightly different.

Make acoustic measurements, or rely on your ears.
    43XX (2235-2123-2450-2405-CC 3155)5235-4412-4406-4401-L250-18Ti-L40-S109 Aquarius lV-C38 (030) 305P MkII

Congratulations Greg. That is a great find, the bass on these babies have to be heard(and felt) to be believed...

I doubt you will hear any difference in the 2405.

Also, I've sourced the proper surrounds for the 2245Hs from a member here (the Rick Cobb/Looneytune2001 product). Is he also the go to guy for the 2122H?

This is his ebay store?
    http://www.ebay.com/usr/looneytune20...p2047675.l2559

Thread Information