Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 2220a and LE75, What to build?

Quote Originally Posted by more10 View Post
    No, the diaphragm is in the inside of the driver, you will have to remove the back side. But if the screws are sealed this is a collectors item and should not be opened. Can you send pics on the back side of the driver?

Mårten
    Here you go. What did you learn from this?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by mrquant View Post
    Here you go. What did you learn from this?
    Only one seal is missing. If the driver works, I don't recommend taking it apart. more10 is right, vintage collectors frown on missing seals.

One seal intact. How about the other driver? If they work you can sell them as a collectors item and buy a working pair of LE85 with original diaphgragms and also put some money in the bank. I guess they are a bit unusual so maybe you can get a good price.

LE85 have larger magnet and are therefore "better".

Mårten

Quote Originally Posted by more10 View Post
    One seal intact. How about the other driver? If they work you can sell them as a collectors item and buy a working pair of LE85 with original diaphgragms and also put some money in the bank. I guess they are a bit unusual so maybe you can get a good price.

LE85 have larger magnet and are therefore "better".

Mårten
    Good suggestion. If they are rare they should go to someone who cares about that.

Good suggestion. If they are rare they should go to someone who cares about that.

Put a swap ad on the marketplace part of the forum. If you bargain hard maybe you can get a pair of horns and lenses as well :-). Swap only for LE85 or 2420 (pro version) with original working diaphragms in good shape.

Found a pair of 2345s

Quote Originally Posted by Horn Fanatic View Post
    Sorry for the typo, I misread your post.

If you don't plan to use the acoustical lens, then the field is wide open as to choices of horns. I would stick with the exponential type, rather then a CD horn. CD horns have built in design problems, as Mark Ureda pointed out in an article he co-wrote on the ALTEC Mantaray horns. Phase coherency and upper frequency attenuation being two of them.

The JBL 2345 would be a good start, or the ALTEC 811 as Earl K suggested. I would prefer the 811 also. If you use the ALTEC you will need to drill a new hole pattern to mount JBL driver. The holes will be 30 degrees apart.
    Is there something that should go between the horn and the driver? Like a gasket or silicone?

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by mrquant View Post
    Is there something that should go between the horn and the driver? Like a gasket or silicone?
    Usually there is a hard gasket stuck to the face of the drivers. Usually gray. Not hard to make some out of a thin (1/16" or so) card stock or cork sheet. No glue or silicone...
    Mike Scott in SJ, CA
    Drive 'em to the Xmax!

Thread Information