Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: JBL C50 Question

JBL C50 Question

Hi - New to this forum and to JBL ownership.

Just picked up a pair of JBL C50 speakers at an estate sale and need advice on where to have the crossover and drivers rebuilt:

- LE85 compression drivers
    - LE15A woofers
    - N1200 cross overs.

The JBL web site has a list of authorized service centers in Southern California. Wondering which ones specialize in restoring legacy JBL drivers vs. new gear.

One of the LE85s is not working and one woofer has a tear in it (see photo).

Name:  C50.jpg
Views: 1502
Size:  118.0 KB

What is the "port" in lower right of the photo covered with a black fabric and attached with staples? Both of my C50s have this "port", however I don't see this feature on photos of other C50 speakers returned via Google searches.

The port is just for air flow. The le85 may just be in a dead point on crossover. See if it works when adjusting crossover. Also on the woofer I would personally keep original and sel to go towards new one in order to keep original for down the road if you sell.

Also that's a 130A woofer and probably a 175 driver.

Welcome Eli,

Your going to love this place. The LF in the picture you've posted does not look like any LE15 that I've ever seen. My guess is that a previous owner has swapped it for something else or had the original LE 15 reconed as an MI LF

Ed
    KEEP ON LISTENING!

Oops. For some reason your latest post didn't appear until I posted my observation.
    KEEP ON LISTENING!

Quote Originally Posted by script56 View Post
    Also that's a 130A woofer and probably a 175 driver.
    Cool! I haven't removed the drivers from cabs yet. I would prefer the 130A and 175 driver combination.

Quote Originally Posted by EliFisk View Post
    Cool! I haven't removed the drivers from cabs yet. I would prefer the 130A and 175 driver combination.
    Greetings, and welcome to the forum -

It's a shame the cone got ripped. If you can find a source for a real 2220B cone kit you'll be back in business. The 2220 and 130A share the same exact Thiele-Small parameters, with the only difference being the upgraded surround on the 2220. FYI - The D130, of which no factory kit is available, is not a 130A with an aluminum dome. They are two different animals, and that goes for the D/K/E 130F type series as well.

If you chose to do a patch job on the cone, Elmers makes and adhesive called, 'Tacky Glue'. No joke. It's best to apply the adhesive from the back side of the cone, for cosmetic reasons, as long as you can gently push the paper back to it's original position. It's white, but it dries transparent. Use it sparingly, don't cake it on. Smooth is out with a model paint brush, the when the glue dries apply thin coats as needed. I have used that adhesive a few times in order to keep woofers original, however, I have never fixed such a large rip. It's the same adhesive Bill Hanuschak uses at Great Plains Audio. I found my glue at Joann Fabrics.

I'm not familiar with JBL repaire services in the L.A. area, but I highly recommend Orange County Speaker in Garden Grove in Orange County, as they are authorized to re-cone JBL speakers.

Good luck,

H.F.

The JBL web site has a list of authorized service centers in Southern California. Wondering which ones specialize in restoring legacy JBL drivers vs. new gear.

One of the LE85s is not working and one woofer has a tear in it (see photo).
    If you want the very finest in JBL repair and advice:
    http://www.uplandloudspeaker.com/

Orange County's work as of late SUCKS OUT LOUD; I have more than enough proof of my claim (and expensive proof at that)

The owner of Upland is a forum member here as well; don't waste your time and money with the other pretenders and hacks

Ken Haerr is an artist:

Upland Loudspeaker Service

1042 N. Mountain Avenue, Suite B368
    Upland, California 91786
    909-946-5944
    1-888-990-1049

Transducers, Selenium

Quote Originally Posted by Horn Fanatic View Post
    Greetings, and welcome to the forum -

It's a shame the cone got ripped. If you can find a source for a real 2220B cone kit you'll be back in business. The 2220 and 130A share the same exact Thiele-Small parameters, with the only difference being the upgraded surround on the 2220....
    I have a pair of these that have gone unused. If you go that route and need them give a yell.

Barry.
    If we knew what the hell we were doing, we wouldn't call it research would we.

[QUOTE=Wagner;377557]If you want the very finest in JBL repair and advice:
    http://www.uplandloudspeaker.com/

"...don't waste your time and money with the other pretenders and hacks"

LoL! Had to chuckle at that one. I have heard many opinions about OCS, but I have never heard them described as "pretenders and hacks".

I first met the Sunda's in the early seventies when Gary was operating Sunda Service in a small strip mall next to the neighborhood he and his family lived in. I remember Sharon shooing away Brian and Eric when they would get under foot at the store. When Sharon took over the business and renamed it, it was James Harmon who re-coned many speakers for me. I was the one who loaned Gary an EV TL-606 cabinet I built for him to test, which he subsequently included into the Randall product line loaded with Eminence's attempt at knocking off the EVM 15L. Last night I made some inquiries with some folks who do business with OSC, and none of them have ever come to the conclusion that the company was run by "pretenders and hacks".

Once in a while a disgruntled customer, or one who claims to be a customer, surfaces who seeks to besmirch the good name of a well established reputable company for one reason or another. Sometimes they do so to shill for another firm.

At any rate, I found this on the internet. Enjoy.

http://www.orangecountyspeaker.com/ocssurvey.html

Quote Originally Posted by Horn Fanatic View Post
    I first met the Sunda's in the early seventies when Gary was operating Sunda Service in a small strip mall next to the neighborhood he and his family lived in. I remember Sharon shooing away Brian and Eric when they would get under foot at the store. When Sharon took over the business and renamed it, it was James Harmon who re-coned many speakers for me.
    Maybe you could do them a favor for old-time sake and occasionally drop by and remind them on what side of the cone a JBL surround should be applied. FWIW, I've never used them but on many occasions I've seen mishandled JBLs for sale with receipts from OCS leaving no doubt as to who screwed them up. Now, I'm in business, too, and realize I can't watch every employee all the time. But then I don't own the company, either. I still feel responsible and embarrassed when we screw-up. Sh*t happens. Some of it inexcusable. Probably why I do my own work when I can. But when it's time to re-surround my 2345s I hope Ken will still be available.
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Would not be the first instance of which a company, or any business, long ago established and at one time well regarded (and deservedly so), continues to rely on their excellent reputation past

Long after they no longer deserve or live up to it

I was speaking to their current work which is deplorable if accuracy is what you seek, not a fond remembrance of how things used to be

Things change

Just think about it

JBL C50 Update

[QUOTE=EliFisk;377429]Hi - New to this forum and to JBL ownership.

JBL C50 Olympus update:

Ken Haerr started work on the C50s and found the high frequency drivers are 175 with the HL 91 horn lens assembly with 130A woofers. Turns out that both 175 drivers work fine and need nothing. The 130As will be re-coned and a new custom-built crossover added to replace the N1200 XOs.

Looking forward to hearing the restored C50s.

Name:  20150725_185611.jpg
Views: 1287
Size:  87.0 KB

Your going to like them with the crossovers working correctly!!

The LE85 is a 175; same diaphragm, just a larger and more powerful magnet structure

Thread Information