Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Internal Wiring Question?

  1. #1
    Member gmarascortt's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Seminole, Florida
    Posts
    94

    Internal Wiring Question?

    I just recently purchased a nice set of L96's with mint cabinets. I had the LF drivers(LE 10H-1) re-coned and re-foamed to factory specs with a genuine JBL kit. Before reinstalling the drivers, I realized that the factory driver leads to the crossovers are very thin. Can one gain any performance or advantage by replacing this wire to a heavier gauge?? We tend to use thick/heavy, usually expensive speaker cables with gold terminals, etc.....then ultimately the signal has to run through this very thin wire! What am I missing?? Does it help to "upgrade" any of the internal wiring??
    250Ti, 18Ti, L77, L96, L112, L36, 4412, Control 29 AV, Altec: 1204B, 9849-8B, 511 Towers, 7 SeriesII

  2. #2
    Senior Member BMWCCA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    6,955
    Quote Originally Posted by gmarascortt View Post
    Does it help to "upgrade" any of the internal wiring??
    Couldn't hurt.

    Why not try it on one speaker and then compare the two?

    I'll let you be the guy. I'm not altering mine.
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

  3. #3
    Senior Member DavidF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    San Jose CA
    Posts
    909
    Quote Originally Posted by gmarascortt View Post
    "...Can one gain any performance or advantage by replacing this wire to a heavier gauge?? We tend to use thick/heavy, usually expensive speaker cables with gold terminals, etc.....then ultimately the signal has to run through this very thin wire! What am I missing?? Does it help to "upgrade" any of the internal wiring??
    By "very thin wire" you could also mean the voice coil wire, right? It shouldn't take a heavy wire to get enough current to the voice coil given the short distance. I would take care to inspect the connectors to be sure they are clean, have a snug grip and are still well attached to the feed wire.

    Nice find on the L96....
    David F
    San Jose

  4. #4
    Senior Member rdgrimes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    New Mexico, USA
    Posts
    2,164
    At distances of 1-2 ft, the gauge of the wire means nothing. Heavier wire will serve only to make the user feel better.

  5. #5
    Administrator Mr. Widget's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    9,886
    Quote Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post
    At distances of 1-2 ft, the gauge of the wire means nothing. Heavier wire will serve only to make the user feel better.
    I mostly agree with this statement... that said, making sure you have clean solid connections means a lot, should also make you feel better, and will restore performance if the connections have become compromised over the years.


    Widget

  6. #6
    Member gmarascortt's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Seminole, Florida
    Posts
    94
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidF View Post
    By "very thin wire" you could also mean the voice coil wire, right? It shouldn't take a heavy wire to get enough current to the voice coil given the short distance. I would take care to inspect the connectors to be sure they are clean, have a snug grip and are still well attached to the feed wire.

    Nice find on the L96....
    Quote Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post
    At distances of 1-2 ft, the gauge of the wire means nothing. Heavier wire will serve only to make the user feel better.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post
    I mostly agree with this statement... that said, making sure you have clean solid connections means a lot, should also make you feel better, and will restore performance if the connections have become compromised over the years.


    Widget
    Thanks everybody! All wiring is original and in great condition, tight connections, etc ...just a general question for improvement in any JBL speaker. Not trying to re-engineer a great sounding pair of speakers!
    250Ti, 18Ti, L77, L96, L112, L36, 4412, Control 29 AV, Altec: 1204B, 9849-8B, 511 Towers, 7 SeriesII

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Internal re-wiring my altecs
    By sellagogo in forum Lansing Product DIY Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-04-2015, 05:23 PM
  2. Internal Wiring Upgrade
    By jfine in forum Lansing Product DIY Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-07-2011, 02:34 PM
  3. 4312 Internal wiring diagram
    By Killiansredleo in forum Lansing Product Technical Help
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-06-2008, 07:22 AM
  4. L300 internal wiring help needed.
    By Steve K in forum Lansing Product Technical Help
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-29-2007, 06:47 PM
  5. 250 TI internal wiring
    By opimax in forum Lansing Product Technical Help
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 06-25-2006, 01:22 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •