Thread: L5 refoam

L5 refoam

Hi all,
    I`m considering a pair that came up for sale. My understanding is that they were produced in the `90s, would they be in need of an immediate refoam or were newer materials use that extended the lifespan?
    The pair in question are all original according to the seller, if they weren't so far off the beaten path, I`d check them out myself.
    That L series always interested me but I don't want to open a costly can worms
    THX!

The L5 uses some sort of rubber composite surround that doesn't deteriorate like foam. Some have reported problems with the surrounds on the L-series separating and/or splitting but that seems to be mostly on the L3. As the owner of L1, L3, L5, and two L7s, I've never experienced the issues and have postulated that it must come from overdriving the L3. There's a thread that talks about such a separation in a pair of L3s used in a dance studio. That's partly why I've jumped to that conclusion.

To simply answer your question, the L5 doesn't normally require a re-surround based on age.
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Thanks for the info Phil, are you still diggin your L5s?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike F View Post
    Thanks for the info Phil, are you still diggin your L5s?
    Don't play them that often with the main system being the 4345s, but I'll occasionally hook them up to your old Crown "receiver" and give them a listen!
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Quote Originally Posted by BMWCCA View Post
    The L5 uses some sort of rubber composite surround that doesn't deteriorate like foam. Some have reported problems with the surrounds on the L-series separating and/or splitting but that seems to be mostly on the L3. As the owner of L1, L3, L5, and two L7s, I've never experienced the issues and have postulated that it must come from overdriving the L3. There's a thread that talks about such a separation in a pair of L3s used in a dance studio. That's partly why I've jumped to that conclusion.

To simply answer your question, the L5 doesn't normally require a re-surround based on age.

+1
    XPL 200's w DX1, XPL 160's, XPL 140's, L7's, L5's, L3's, L1's Homemade L Center, 4412's, 4406, L60T's, L20T's

I beg to differ!

I bought a pair of L5s about 10 years ago on Craigslist and was also under the impression that the drivers would not need refoaming. The woofers in my pair of L-5s had more of a basic foam type surround and it was in the process of deteriorating. The other cone drivers in the L-5 have the newer rubber type surround that don't need replacing. I don't remember reading that the L-5 used two different woofers during their production , but anything is possible. Bottom line, check the woofers , they might have a problem with the surrounds. Good Luck, Paul
    JBL 4343, JBL L300 Summit, UREI 811, JBL 4311, JBL 4301, JBL L5, JBL L50, JBL L100 , to name a few

Quote Originally Posted by wpod View Post
    I beg to differ! I bought a pair of L5s about 10 years ago on Craigslist and was also under the impression that the drivers would not need refoaming. The woofers in my pair of L-5s had more of a basic foam type surround and it was in the process of deteriorating. The other cone drivers in the L-5 have the newer rubber type surround that don't need replacing. I don't remember reading that the L-5 used two different woofers during their production , but anything is possible. Bottom line, check the woofers , they might have a problem with the surrounds. Good Luck, Paul
    Beg all you want! Not needed. Permission granted!

Do you know that yours weren't re-surrounded prior to your purchase? Every pair I've seen or owned had rubber on all the woofers. I just pulled the grilles to check the pair I own now. Same.

Still, always a good idea to check the surrounds since there have been reported cases of trashed rubber surrounds, though I've never had the issue with my four pairs of L5, L3, and L7s.

Paul, if you still have them, let's see a good photo of your foam surrounds—out of interest.

The two bottom woofers on mine are different drivers 1-8" and 1-6 1/2" I believe, but both have the rubber surrounds.
    XPL 200's w DX1, XPL 160's, XPL 140's, L7's, L5's, L3's, L1's Homemade L Center, 4412's, 4406, L60T's, L20T's

Thread Information