Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast

Thread: Experiments with M2 horns.

The grille cloth is actually touching the plastic of the horn. It doesn't show because the frame and horn match in profile so well. That tends to keep it flatter up top. The cloth does stretch to a slight curve vertically in front of the woofer, but its hard to notice. I installed it so that it stretches more side to side than top to bottom. Only because the frames are stronger side to side.
    There is actually a gap between the end of the port tube and the fiberglass. Only about a half inch though. And the gap counts on my compressing the fiberglass a bit there. Is that a problem? I think that some of my factory JBLs have been like that too.
    I used the 1501s because I bought them from the For sale area here on this forum prior to the 2216s becoming available. I think that they are just as good. I could have saved some weight with the 2216s, these are heavy.

Quote Originally Posted by Don C View Post
    The grille cloth is actually touching the plastic of the horn. It doesn't show because the frame and horn match in profile so well. That tends to keep it flatter up top. The cloth does stretch to a slight curve vertically in front of the woofer, but its hard to notice. I installed it so that it stretches more side to side than top to bottom. Only because the frames are stronger side to side.
    There is actually a gap between the end of the port tube and the fiberglass. Only about a half inch though. And the gap counts on my compressing the fiberglass a bit there. Is that a problem? I think that some of my factory JBLs have been like that too.
    I used the 1501s because I bought them from the For sale area here on this forum prior to the 2216s becoming available. I think that they are just as good. I could have saved some weight with the 2216s, these are heavy.

Jeez. look at how that all came together. Isn't it fun as all hell to sit back, look at this result, and say "yeah, I did that?" Well done.
    David F
    San Jose

I look at that picture and see the knot hole in the wood that shows through the cloth, and wonder why I foolishly selected that particular piece of wood to go on top. I guess it never occurred to me that it would show through the cloth, but there it is, plain as day. If I do change the cloth color I'll fill that hole while I'm at it.
    Thanks for the kind comment though. I have been staring at them a lot, and often I'm very pleased.

Wow!
    The integral grill frame is a very nice touch and fits perfectly.
    I'd get them off the floor a bit, but I can see how this form factor can be appealing for consumer hifi.
    I bet JBL is watching

Beautiful work Don / love that grill!

Nice work!

The emblem is small, but it seems to me that it makes a a big difference.

Name:  apr27.jpg
Views: 1073
Size:  59.1 KB

Just beautiful, Don! Thanks so much for documenting the build and sharing it with us.

Very nicely done Don!!

I really like the light color grill cloth myself!!

Maybe you could take the cloth off of the area with the knot and bondo/sand wood putty it.

BTW I bet the JBL emblem made it sound just a tad bit better!!

Congrats on a job well done!!
    Always fun learning more.......

Quote Originally Posted by Don C View Post
    The emblem is small, but it seems to me that it makes a a big difference.

Name:  apr27.jpg
Views: 1073
Size:  59.1 KB
    The emblem gives it that authentic look, or something like that. I really like the way the fabric on top of the grill interacts with the top of the speaker and the side trim, nice contrast.

Thanks to everyone for the nice comments.
    I'm looking at some mellotone brown cloth for a possible change.
    I'm also playing around with external control circuits for the Blu-160. Super sensitive speakers like these tend to exaggerate the differences between different recordings, and I'm finding that it would help to have a bass level adjustment handy for those times when one recording sounds bass heavy, and the next disc is sounding weak in that department. A simple pot linked to a equalizer slider works, but is way too sensitive. What I need is a network of resistors on a control port that allows a smaller range of adjustment. Maybe plus or minus 3 db with a full turn of the knob. I'm working on that. One tip for those using Audio Architect. Version 2.0 is buggy. it will screw up your saved parametric EQ settings. I'd suggest to hold off on the upgrade until they fix it.

Thanks for the AA info. Is Motion Control (on phone or tablet) an option?

here's a fun read (more of a loudness compensation, but could be modified)
    http://harman-hsp-web-assets.s3.amaz...l_original.pdf

I don't want to mess with the ipad app, because it would take too many steps to get the adjustment done, and then to get it undone afterwards. Anyway, I don't have an ipad. What I really want is one big knob or slider, right next to the main volume control, that I can know that state of just by looking. And get back to the starting point easily. That's why I don't want to do it in the HT processor either, I can't see where it is set easily, and would too often forget to return it to the default when a disc ends. I'm not usually playing music from a computer or storage, I'm changing discs in the Oppo BDP-103 player. So as long as I'm up, I can set the volume where I like it and tweak the bass a bit if needed before sitting back down. Easy.

yup/understood.

Was mostly thinking you could run your existing pot as a control for the "noise generator" level
    and then you'd have programmable control over range and linearity.

Hi Jeff,

What filter settings did you finally use?

Kind regards
    //Rob
    The solution to the problem changes the problem.
    -And always remember that all of your equipment was made by the lowest bidder

Thread Information