Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stands for JBL 4430?

Stands for JBL 4430?

Hello all,
    Just something I have kicked around in my head for some time, and had thought of some means of either a DIY, or perhaps something bought that won't cost me a kidney.

There is a Vid out there somewhere in youtube land, of a really nice custom stand made by Kenrick in Japan, but in recent coorespondence, what they shown me that was available was nowhere near the same stand, nice but no cigar, and the prices on this new stand were quite "prohibitive" to say the least.

I currently just simply have my 4430's on Concrete Pavers, but have gained little in height, perhaps an inch is all.

Has anyone ever acquired something like a custom built stand from somebody like Sound Anchors specifically designed for the 4430? (In other words, they may possibly have the specific design in their database?)

I'm thinking something that might be about 6" to 9" tall, or thereabouts, nothing really much taller than that.
    Or, some other manufacturer or ideas?
    Thanks, mark

Milk Crate?

A source of inspiration from France: http://www.homecinema-fr.com/forum/i...51513-165.html

These stands have been made by this company, who's doing many other interesting things: http://www.alg-audiodesign.com/portf...ieds-jbl-4430/

dn92

Quote Originally Posted by dn92 View Post
    A source of inspiration from France: http://www.homecinema-fr.com/forum/i...51513-165.html

These stands have been made by this company, who's doing many other interesting things: http://www.alg-audiodesign.com/portf...ieds-jbl-4430/

dn92
    Thanks, Those sort of remind me of some I've seen that Kenrick in Japan make. I guess such work is sort of labor intensive, and combined with quality woods, stands like these aren't going to be had for $89.99/pr. for sure.

About the most major downside with any stand I'm forseeing, is lifting such heavy buggers onto a stand, without incurring any speaker damage. Definitely at least a 2-man job.

Here's a vid of the particular Stands I mentioned from Kenrick-Japan.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QcKEpqvVDXM

Thinking about these a bit, these were no doubt made as a one off custom stand for this one particular set of speakers. That they no doubt spent a good deal of time just with Veneer matching.

That matching Wood Veneer exactly for the masses on a production basis would probably be near impossible due to variances of the hue-color of any particular JBL Speaker's Veneer.

PS: Sure have to admit, these folks at Kenrick are real freaks when it comes to audio and JBL!

Do you have any woodworking skills? If not, mock up a design and take it to your local kitchen cabinet maker. I'd bet you could have them done up for a reasonable price.

Good luck,

Warren
    DIY Array, 2242 sub, 4408, 4208, Control 8SR, E120 Guitar cab, Control 1, LSR305.

What exactly is your goal, a decent looking functional solution* or an aesthetic/jewelry thing?

*what specifically are you wanting to address with the use of stands? (and where the 6" to 9" number came from)

Any number of off the shelf solutions that could accomplish that task for far less than a kidney, better yet, the money pissed away on the french pieces or those veneered cubes from Kenrick (which I MIGHT consider paying $89.99 for on a good day)

I was looking at the Sound Anchors for my 4343's but the price was outrageous. I ended up getting two concrete slabs for each speaker and never looked back.

I've also seen people using U shaped concrete gutters as speaker stands, something like this:

I made plywood boxes for my 4430's that are 10" high and match the width and depth of the 4430's base. I covered them with matt black laminate and they look fine and don't draw any attention. However, I'd probably make something Kenrick style if I had something I really thought I'd keep for life...
    That the internet contains a blog documenting your life does not constitute proof that your existence is valid. Sorry.

Pacific Northwest, but North-er and West-er
    It's about $800 for the Sound Anchors I was considering. I've also been looking at the modular IsoAcoustics pieces to build a platform, but I can't get any design specs or prices from the company.

Post #20 in this thread has some Pioneer HPM style stands which I'm collecting pieces for a build attempt. So far I've got a 4x12 Glulam rough cut into 20" sections. Glulam wood doesn't look so nice by itself so if sanding and oil doesn't work out, I'll paint them black. The recessed foot of the 4430 is the part giving me fits though. I don't want to take them off, so I'm trying to determine how to set the speaker on the stand so it will look best.
    I control the treble.
    I control the bass.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee in Montreal View Post
    Milk Crate?
    I've got some solid oak milk crates .. always thought of refinishing
    them , turn upside down and use for stands.

with my old L-100's , I cut some 2x10's and made an "X" with half
    cuts so they fit together .. black on one side, walnut on the other.

worked out very well.

those French ones should not be too hard to replicate

only problem with all those is getting a slight upward angle.
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

http://www.aandmcustomsteelspeakerst...ss-&-pricing-1

I had a set of the open-front stands made to custom dimensions for my L166's and am very happy. Sand-filled and spiked (or not) adjustable rear screws. Very solid and nice looking (IMO).

Quote Originally Posted by jasn View Post
    http://www.aandmcustomsteelspeakerst...ss-&-pricing-1

I had a set of the open-front stands made to custom dimensions for my L166's and am very happy. Sand-filled and spiked (or not) adjustable rear screws. Very solid and nice looking (IMO).
    Interesting, look good and very similar to the old Standesign stuff (I loved their product, still do) Decent pricing too

Wanted to point out that unless things have changed, functional metal fabrication is readily available all over the South and at reasonable costs; LOTS of excellent welding shops, one in just about any town of any size, that can/will do things like what we need for audio for pennies on the dollar compared to specifically indicated, audiofool approved product (even better on the price when it's not farming season)

Fit and finish is fine as well (the veterans do work like attaching ring gears to torque converters on up)

Say this because the folks who built yours are in Arkansas (where there is still some common sense available when it comes to welding two pieces of metal together)

Probably not Michael Fremer approved though

Quote Originally Posted by Wagner View Post
    that would be a bonus/selling point 'round here

I posted a thread on tonearm geometry , swiped by Mikey
    from Wally .. the comments at the end reveals a lot about MF

Quote Originally Posted by Wagner View Post
    Interesting, look good and very similar to the old Standesign stuff (I loved their product, still do) Decent pricing too

Wanted to point out that unless things have changed, functional metal fabrication is readily available all over the South and at reasonable costs; LOTS of excellent welding shops, one in just about any town of any size, that can/will do things like what we need for audio for pennies on the dollar compared to specifically indicated, audiofool approved product (even better on the price when it's not farming season)

Fit and finish is fine as well (the veterans do work like attaching ring gears to torque converters on up)

Say this because the folks who built yours are in Arkansas (where there is still some common sense available when it comes to welding two pieces of metal together)

Name:  stands - 1.jpg
Views: 2214
Size:  120.7 KB

Thought I'd post a shot of the stands I purchased (ignore the background please...all better!). I'm very impressed with the quality,heft and powder-coating of these stands. They are built to last. The fabricator was very responsive and helpful as well.

Quote Originally Posted by jasn View Post
    Name:  stands - 1.jpg
Views: 2214
Size:  120.7 KB

Thought I'd post a shot of the stands I purchased (ignore the background please...all better!). I'm very impressed with the quality,heft and powder-coating of these stands. They are built to last. The fabricator was very responsive and helpful as well.
    those look nice and most likely are built to last.
    the hidden engineer in me would want to brace those, tho it would ruin the esthetics .

Thread Information