Thread: Jbl 6260 problems

Jbl 6260 problems

Hello,

I scored a 6260 the other day. I replaced all but a few of the electrolytic caps in it right away? I also put sockets in so I can upgrade the opamps too. I checked the bias following the directions I've found here on the site. I did notice that one channel was distorting quite bad. The same channel the bias pot won't change the bias no matter what I set the bias pot at. I looked at the output of that channel on my oscilloscope and it appears that a good portion of the waveform is missing. I can't tell if its extremely severe crossover distortion or only half of the phase splitter is working. When I feed it a sinewave the output is distorted on the bottom half of the waveform only. I haven't traced the signal with my scope yet though.

I'm just wondering if anyone is familiar with these issues and has any ideas for me. I was thinking an issues with a transistor in the phase splitter but the bias issues is making me think its elsewhere. If the transistor the bias pot is tied to fails, what would the symptoms be?

I was going to trace a sine wave through the amp with my o scope but my scope seems to be having a issues with its input loading. I don't want to make my problems worse by using the scope in circuit.

Any help / advice would be most graciously appreciated.

Thanks,
    Nick

Well since I haven't had any bites on my thread here I've been slowly trying to figure my issue out on my own. Today I ran into some very strange issues. I was checking voltages on transistor on the problem channel and comparing them to the working channel. I put a volt meter on the base and emitter of q8. When I do this the problem goes away. I can increase the bias on the channel. As soon as I remove the meter leads the bias point drops back to its lowest point. I put my scope on the output and then I can increase the bias so the distortion is gone. But as soon as I remove the test lead thing go south again.

This doesn't make much since to me. But I'm still learning when it comes to solid state amp circuits. I just can't see why a meter on q8 would make things work. I'm assuming q8 is a driver for the output stage.

Does anyone have any insight into this problem I'm having?

Thanks in advance,
    Nick

I replaced q8 and she's blowing the doors off again. Damn Skippy.

Nick

Congrats!

Barry.
    If we knew what the hell we were doing, we wouldn't call it research would we.

Sweet! Hopefully she brings several more years of joy. Now I know where to bring mine for service.

Ya I'm hoping it gives me many years of service. It was pretty clean otherwise. Now I just need a subwoofer amp.

Nick

Thread Information