Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How Beats Tricks You Into Thinking It Makes a Premium Product

Followup

Are Beats Headphones Really Designed To Trick You?

http://gizmodo.com/are-beats-headpho...you-1715413621

Quote Originally Posted by LowPhreak View Post
    I think what Seawolf is saying is engagement rings and the like weren't as much of a 'thing' for average people until the late 1930's and DeBeers' hyping of it.
    read & learn. The Diamond Empire

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontl...ipts/1209.html
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

I don't think that anybody is really tricked in thinking those Beats byDre are quality products. Kids just buy them to fit in the mold. Kids see them on every single video and they want to belong to the "in" crowd. So they buy them. Just like they buy jeans, sneakers, or a tshirt. Remember the good old "As seen on TV" ? This is just pure marketing. Bose does the same.

Lee

Quote Originally Posted by Lee in Montreal View Post
    This is just pure marketing. Bose does the same.

Lee
    Good comparison. Although, in the case of Bose you'd hope adults would know better. Oh well.
    Oppo BDP-95 DCX-2496 RMX-850 Parasound A21 First Watt J2 Dayton RSS390HF-4 MTM Quads of SEAS W18E001 511Bs TAD TD-2002

Quote Originally Posted by fpitas View Post
    Good comparison. Although, in the case of Bose you'd hope adults would know better. Oh well.
    I've heard some decent Bose speakers and never heard a Bose so bad I wanted to leave the room, as with some JBLs.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Brennan View Post
    I've heard some decent Bose speakers and never heard a Bose so bad I wanted to leave the room, as with some JBLs.

I'm considering the source!
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Quote Originally Posted by dr_gallup View Post
    I don't think anyone ever confused them with a quality product. My niece asked for a pair for Christmas a couple of years ago but even she knew they were junk and had picked them for the cool factor. She got Sennheisers.
    Won't have done the "optimum" job for her in respect to the fact this product is a mix of cans function and fashion item just as Widget said. My kids put enough emphasis on the latter when starting to shop and dragged me into stores three times to avoid the AKG i thought were right for them.

In the end we all learned, the boys that sound can be a lot more neutral and still fun. Maybe a seed for somethin'? And i heard that Beats "Mixr" (wired, on-ear) and "Studio Wireless" (v.2, not just "Wireless") for over ear users, are acceptable sound + street cred compromises (bass is BIG but not unbearable).
    Now, this is if your'e willing to shell out the extra €€ for the recipient to enjoy the cool factor. Didn't have an excuse -- i use an Apple phone. Btw, not the models initially earmarked by the kids, we really tried all from €50 to €450. Surprisingly good stuff below €100 the kids admitted. But street cred won.

One thing that struck me with the Beats Mixr is their efficiency, wish my cans would present the amp of my phone with so little stress.

I bought 2nd hand HV-1A's a few months later and haven't seen them since converted to 3.5mm plugs. Cool factor redefined...

Ralph

Quote Originally Posted by BMWCCA View Post
    I'm considering the source!
    An ad hominem argument. But feel free to pound your head against the wall, you might just pound some sense into it.

Thread Information