Thread: Gauss Woofer for 4343?

Gauss Woofer for 4343?

I was chatting on a proaudio forum and about 4343's. According to this guy the woofer of the 4343 was know as it's weak point and this was often replaced with a Gauss 15" driver (4831?). Now I've got 2 x BGW750C's bridged on my 4343B's just on the woofers alone and they slam darn good so I probably don't agree there's a weakness there with the 2231H's. Anyway there are some Gauss' that have come up locally so I'd be willing to try it.

He quoted the Gauss 4831 but I can't find any info on this. Anyone have any experience with Gauss drivers? There are some 5840 drivers that have popped up.

btw the Gauss 7480 and the Gauss optonica monitors attached look pretty bad ass.

Here's a previous thread on Gausss monitors

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...ec-Information

Cheers.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Quote Originally Posted by Goldjazz View Post
    I was chatting on a proaudio forum and about 4343's. According to this guy the woofer of the 4343 was know as it's weak point and this was often replaced with a Gauss 15" driver (4831?). Now I've got 2 x BGW750C's bridged on my 4343B's just on the woofers alone and they slam darn good so I probably don't agree there's a weakness there with the 2231H's. Anyway there are some Gauss' that have come up locally so I'd be willing to try it.

He quoted the Gauss 4831 but I can't find any info on this. Anyone have any experience with Gauss drivers? There are some 5840 drivers that have popped up.

btw the Gauss 7480 and the Gauss optonica monitors attached look pretty bad ass.

Here's a previous thread on Gausss monitors

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...ec-Information

Cheers.
    I find it odd, that a company which had it's own diffraction horn, used a horn design of a competitor.

Yeah I don't know about the horn design you're talking about (jbl?) but I've read that Gauss was acquired at one point (either by JBL or EV, someone will correct me) perhaps the new owners used the best horn design available to them from the parent co. as opposed to the Gauss proprietary one. Also wasn't Optonica sharp?, seems they may have teamed up with other companies.

Weak in what way? Sound quality or physically?

I have had a handful of Gauss drivers and still have a few in storage, I wasn't knocked out by any of them but liked them enough to keep some. I forget the PN of the 15's I still have. With three inch voice coils and dual spiders they are fairly physically rugged.

Hey I should sell them to you! You're just halfway around the planet.

I doubt they are a drop in.

Barry.
    If we knew what the hell we were doing, we wouldn't call it research would we.

Ha thanks, seems that gauss was sold here back in the day and can be got locally pretty cheaply. Yeah, apparently weak sonically in some way, though I don't agree. It's more that the comment got me interested in Gauss.

Quote Originally Posted by 1audiohack View Post
    Weak in what way? Sound quality or physically?

I have had a handful of Gauss drivers and still have a few in storage, I wasn't knocked out by any of them but liked them enough to keep some. I forget the PN of the 15's I still have. With three inch voice coils and dual spiders they are fairly physically rugged.

Hey I should sell them to you! You're just halfway around the planet.

I doubt they are a drop in.

Barry.

Quote Originally Posted by Goldjazz View Post
    Yeah I don't know about the horn design you're talking about (jbl?) but I've read that Gauss was acquired at one point (either by JBL or EV, someone will correct me) perhaps the new owners used the best horn design available to them from the parent co. as opposed to the Gauss proprietary one. Also wasn't Optonica sharp?, seems they may have teamed up with other companies.
    This is the large format Gauss diffraction horn. It was made of fiberglass, but with no dividers.

http://i851.photobucket.com/albums/a...SS_4140_01.jpg

Gauss was caught in the net along with Electro-Voice and ALTEC, then without fanfare, buried. Electro-Voice did not want another competitor. By the time E-V became bigger, the powers that be charged the ALTEC division twice as much for ferrite magnets than E-V was paying. The death of ALTEC was as calculated at the demise of Gauss, it only took longer. Bill Hanuschak inherited the remaining stock of Gauss cone kits after he left to start his business.

H.F.

Thread Information