Thread: jbl 6260 circuit question

jbl 6260 circuit question

Does anyone know what op amps are used in the front end of the 6260?

Thanks,
    Nick

Quote Originally Posted by NickH View Post
    Does anyone know what op amps are used in the front end of the 6260?

Thanks,
    Nick
    See page 31 - http://www.jblproservice.com/pdf/Vin...6260manual.pdf

According to the schematic it says either Op amp type 7L084 or 71084 (its kind of a smeary PDF)

Based on some googling, I'm guessing its 7L084
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Thanks Heather.

I did download the manual but I didn't recall seeing it on the schematic. Or maybe I just couldn't make it out.

Thanks again,
    Nick

Quote Originally Posted by NickH View Post
    Thanks Heather.

I did download the manual but I didn't recall seeing it on the schematic. Or maybe I just couldn't make it out.

Thanks again,
    Nick
    Bottom left corner of page 31 ... but as I said, it is blurry.
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

I agree the manual looks very blurry. But, to me the font looks to be Italic. So, what appears to be a “7” could very well be a “T” instead. And my google searches do not turn up any 71084 or 7L084 op-amps. On the other hand, a TL084 is a common 4 unit op-amp. If the chips appear to be 14 pin dual in line packages then most likely to be they are TL084 chips.

Here is a Texas Instruments product Link: http://www.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/tl084.pdf

And where you can find a replacement part if that is what is needed: http://www.mouser.com

Mouse Part # 595-TL084CN

Baron030

Well I'll find out tomorrow for sure since mine will be delivered by FedEx sometime Saturday. Tl084 would make more since being the old school opamps prefix. But I find it odd that the 6260 uses a different opamp then the 6290 which by the manual looks to be a tl072. The only person who probably knows this by heart is subwoof. I'd love to find a discrete opamp that will work in its place.

I guess I'll find out soon.

Thanks for the help though,
    Nick

Go with TL084.

Allan.

I'll have to do some research and find a modern superior opamp that will work in its place.

Nick, you might want to take a look at Burson and Audio-GD's offerings, they do have discrete opamps in their lineup but I don't know the details.

Hi Martin,

I've been looking at bursons discrete opamps. But they don't make a quad though. I got the amp today. I've got to put it on the bench tomorrow. It doesn't seem to be working at 100%. I hooked it up to the speakers and the output seems to be low.

I talked to my friend who's an analog engineer he actually said the tl074 would be a good upgrade. But I'm leaning more toward the opa4134. I thinking a full electrolytic capacitor change is also in order.

I'll have to look into audio GD.

Nick

Each of the 074 and 084 have their own merits, however, in this application, the 084 is more than adequate.

Allan.

I've bought the parts to overhaul this unit. All new electrolytics except for the power supply caps. Mouser didn't carry the right type. Mundorf makes a cap that I think will fit but I'm not certain though. I'm replacing all the others with nichicon muse caps. I know its probably over kill, but they were cheap. I'm also pulling the tl084 opamps and putting sockets in there place. I will be trying tl074's in here first as they are a bit better noise performance. I plan to eventually put opa4134's in there place but they need a adapter since there smt.

I checked the bias on the unit. One side was in spec but the other was over .4 volts. I lowered it to .280 which matches the other channel.
    The one thing I found odd is if I was monitoring the voltage between the base and emitter on one channel if changed that channel input attenuation setting the base to emitter voltage would change. But I didn't do the same on the other channel. I'm sure this is nothing unusual but it seemed a little odd to me.

Other then that the units in pretty good shape. I'm hoping it will serve me well for many years after the overhaul.

Just wish I could find 2 knobs for it though, or at the very least the security covers.

Nick

Thread Information