Thread: I may have seen the light. At least I saw one turn on...

I may have seen the light. At least I saw one turn on...

You know, it ends up I can only be so stupid for so long. I have never been completely satisfied with the frequency presentation of my headphones, so I just did a Buy It Now transaction for a clean Ashly PQX 572. Glad I figured it out before I die.

I didn't see the sense of a second round of AD/DA conversion, so old school it is. That whole system is XLR anyway. I anticipate very modest frequency shaping. If it doesn't pan out I will throw it into my speaker rig; just because I don't mind a small mids hump doesn't mean I can't experiment.

Clark

PS Bo, if you said "I told you so", that would be understandable.
    Information is not Knowledge; Knowledge is not Wisdom
    Too many audiophiles listen with their eyes instead of their ears

This is working out quite nicely.

Hi Clark!

So it sounds like you have it and are using it? If you are happy with it in a headphone rig it must be a very quiet device!

I have a very similar SAE EQ and a couple of others and while I have a bunch of DSP devices there is nothing like turning a knob when sorting out what you are hearing, better? worse? or the same? in an instant, next?

How far are you off flat now and where?

All the best,
    Barry.
    If we knew what the hell we were doing, we wouldn't call it research would we.

Yes, I inserted it in the system the day it arrived. I am sure it has more distortion than the top priced units, but nothing that I can hear so far. I have long been a fan of well executed op amp circuits so I am not surprised. The unit ended up being in perfect working order and cosmetic condition. It appears to have spent the entire two decades in the same studio rack, never on remote.

My first parametric, and much surprise at how easy this one is to use. The well known problem with this particular Stax model (SR-007mk II SZ3) - it is very dark in presentation. I knew what to do as soon as I read the manual. Skip to the right hand high frequency shelving section and boost two or three dB commencing at 2 to 4 khz (still playing with the precise placement). At least it was a lot more straightforward than figuring out precisely where to cut in the mid bass and lord knows where else. I was lucky or my musical intuition is good. I knew to factor in my senior citizen ears too. They sound great now. The headphones, not the ears. I will play with it further sometime, and patch it to my speakers too, but for now I am enjoying music too much to bother. Currently, Junkanoo by Barbara Dennerlein.

If only everyone still trying to tame the Lowther shout had one of these.

So Barry, how do you think these analog professional units stack up against the DSP pieces? I guess it doesn't matter because I am so pleased with the Ashly, but I always enjoy hearing your take on things. I hope my enthusiasm of a newfound convert has not led to inflicting another gushing, misinformed take on these hapless forums.

"factor in those Senior Citizen Ears" Funniest thing I have read in a long time! Thanks Clark. If only it wasn't a reality....I miss hearing cymbals.

Boost the last octave and they might show up again. I tried that (and some other things too) and it worked for me.

Thread Information