Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 044ti vs 066 tweeter in 4313b

here's a thread that shows the 3 allens to open a 066 (post 24)

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...l=1#post297332

not very hard to smooth out from the back
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

Quote Originally Posted by SEAWOLF97 View Post

Thanks for taking the time to resurrect that link! It's a good one. Learned a lot. I didn't know there was foam under the dome or hex head screws. Now I am tempted to open em up. Also tempted to leave them alone....

Quote Originally Posted by aj_chicago View Post
    Thanks for taking the time to resurrect that link! It's a good one. Learned a lot. I didn't know there was foam under the dome or hex head screws. Now I am tempted to open em up. Also tempted to leave them alone....
    AFAIR , the 066 just lifts out ,, as opposed to fighting the 044Ti's double sided super stickum tape.

AFAIR , the 066 just lifts out ,, as opposed to fighting the 044Ti's double sided super stickum tape.
    OK. That does it! Opening them up. But I wish I could first find some spongy foam rubber to replace the old stuff under the dome. I know I've had some around here. Usually, stuff like that get thrown out just before I need it.

OK. That does it! Opening them up. But I wish I could first find some spongy foam rubber to replace the old stuff under the dome. I know I've had some around here. Usually, stuff like that get thrown out just before I need it.
    for some reason (most likely old age) , I don't remember any foam at all in the 066.

for some reason (most likely old age) , I don't remember any foam at all in the 066.
    Have taken apart many 066's and have never seen any foam underneath either.

If you got them cheap enough and are willing to spend money on them I would keep an eye out on Ebay for another set of Tweeters. They dont come up often but you can get a bargain if you check every now and again. I even saw some 066 Diaphragms on there a month ago.

Being that damaged the sound would be suffering. Fantastic speakers by the way, don't change the LE5-9's for the LE5-10's.

Quote Originally Posted by kelossus View Post
    Have taken apart many 066's and have never seen any foam underneath either.

If you got them cheap enough and are willing to spend money on them I would keep an eye out on Ebay for another set of Tweeters. They dont come up often but you can get a bargain if you check every now and again. I even saw some 066 Diaphragms on there a month ago.

Being that damaged the sound would be suffering. Fantastic speakers by the way, don't change the LE5-9's for the LE5-10's.
    Well, if you are referring to the LE5-9, I don't know how damaged it is other than cosmetic. My ears don't hear "damage." How could one tell? Can you isolate them so that sound only comes through the LE5-9's? If I could do that I could compare one to the other. I think I read somewhere that with out the other components things change. Is is safe to run speaker wire directly to them, bypassing the crossovers? Sure would like to hear them on their own.

Tweeters: I tried a car wash vacuum to suck the domes out, but no. These 066's (like others I have read about) do not have "allen" head screws. They are "rivets". Since I was not going to drill I could not open them. Instead, I applied silicone caulk with a string embedded in it. Now that I did this, I wouldn't do it again. It worked, for the most part, and it pulled out the larger dimples, but left smaller ones. I then tried to use the point of a pushpin to lift them out. This worked on dimples, too. However, I only noticed afterward that wherever the pushpin point lifted it lifted a little "pimple" on the surface. Now instead of dimples I have dimples and pimples. Dang it! I wish there were a way to cosmetically fix this. The tweeters sound FINE! Could I get away with applying a second dust cap over the damaged ones?

Woofers: I refoamed the bass drivers. These are in good shape and sound great! I noticed in a Simply Speakers recone video that they apply glue to the outside foam surface to "seal" it from air escape. When I questioned they said the glue stayed flexible and was compliant. I have a difficult time with this. I have learned (right or wrong) to keep glue only on the edge that contacts the cone and the driver frame. What say the experts here? Glue on all of the outside surface of the foam to seal, or not? That brings up a similar question. I noticed that there is space around the tweeters and mids and I do feel airflow around them. Were there gaskets/o-rings that originally filled these gaps?

Mids: I dusted the repaired mid with a coat of flat black. It looks much better. I won't do the same to the "good" one in hopes of finding a cheap replacement. Saw a re-cone kit on ebay from Simply Speakers for $45, but that is minus the $55 (correction: they have a smaller glue kit for $20) worth of glue you need! Add my labor and I think a replacement looks better! I hooked both up individually in the cabinets (with crossovers) without the other components, and again directly to the speaker cables (no crossovers) and I cannot hear any difference. They still sound good.

Cabinets: The cabinets need work. I filled the large chips along the edge and tried a paint pen, but it didn't match (as you can see). $5 wasted. I have not been able to find a color match for the blue. I have brought home three different ones and shopped three different hardware stores to no avail. I almost decided on a darker blue to match the grilles, but I just can't do it. I think I will go to home depot and get some likely color samples, see which is closest, and see if they can mix me a quart, and paint them by hand. I have read veneer refinishing tips with various products and think I will just clean off the old oil finish, lightly sand some top scratches out, and finish with a coat or two of hand rubbed, semi-gloss Minwax Tung Oil. I have it on hand and I have used it on several things that I have been happy with. If anyone thinks this is a "sin" let me know.

Crossovers: I am leaving "well enough" alone.

Progress pics attached. Before pic with one of the crunched tweeter domes (that tape ripped the aluminum coating off of) at bottom.
    Attached Images Attached Images     

These 066's (like others I have read about) do not have "allen" head screws. They are "rivets".
    More correctly should have been called "torx" ? that's how every one that I have seen
    is assembled.

More correctly should have been called "torx" ? that's how every one that I have seen
    is assembled.
    I meant to include pics, but had problems with something and forgot them. These are different from your pics. Did you have to remove the glued on gasket to see them? Maybe they added the gasket?

Cool

I meant to include pics, but had problems with something and forgot them. These are different from your pics. Did you have to remove the glued on gasket to see them? Maybe they added the gasket?
    That is definitely where the screws are, under the gasket. What you see on the back is actually the threads sticking out just a tad. They are American Customary Allen head machine screws, commonly called Inch sizes, not metric.
    Mike Scott in SJ, CA
    Drive 'em to the Xmax!

Quote Originally Posted by 4343 View Post
    That is definitely where the screws are, under the gasket. What you see on the back is actually the threads sticking out just a tad. They are American Customary Allen head machine screws, commonly called Inch sizes, not metric.
    I was afraid of that. I did not read or see that fact anywhere (and I read a lot), and if I did it didn't sink in. Oh well, lesson learned.

Thread Information