Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Just bought a pair of JBL L112 Century II, Recap question.

  1. #1
    Junior Member Ron13a's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Gastonia NC
    Posts
    8

    Just bought a pair of JBL L112 Century II, Recap question.

    Being that the caps in the crossover are not electrolytic, is a recap worth it?
    Would there be a noticeable difference? They sound great now. Also, I'm 44
    and my hearing isn't super. I mean that, while I'm by no means deaf, I don't
    have "golden ears" by any stretch of the imagination. They were recently refoamed.
    The controls could use a shot of deoxit. Anyway, I'm on the fence regarding a recap.
    Opinions?
    My Stereo Blog: http://revolverlist.blogspot.com
    JBL: L112 - L100 Century - L96 - 4311 (Zilch mods) - 4401

  2. #2
    Senior Member BMWCCA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    6,964
    I've owned mine for over 30-years and haven't felt compelled to mess with perfection.
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

  3. #3
    Senior Member SEAWOLF97's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    PDX, ®egon
    Posts
    9,098
    If it ain't broke ... fix it , 'till it is.
    “If you think that’s the dumbest thing you’ve ever heard,
    just wait a couple minutes!”

  4. #4
    Administrator Mr. Widget's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    9,981
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron13a View Post
    Being that the caps in the crossover are not electrolytic, is a recap worth it?
    Would there be a noticeable difference? They sound great now. Also, I'm 44
    and my hearing isn't super. I mean that, while I'm by no means deaf, I don't
    have "golden ears" by any stretch of the imagination. They were recently refoamed.
    The controls could use a shot of deoxit. Anyway, I'm on the fence regarding a recap.
    Opinions?
    Clean the l-pads and call it a day! Oh, and enjoy the speakers.


    Widget

  5. #5
    Junior Member Ron13a's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Gastonia NC
    Posts
    8
    Thanks for confirming what I thought! I will clean the l-pads and enjoy them the way they are. Thanks again!
    My Stereo Blog: http://revolverlist.blogspot.com
    JBL: L112 - L100 Century - L96 - 4311 (Zilch mods) - 4401

  6. #6
    Senior Member martin2395's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Europe
    Posts
    866
    If you wish to spend money on them, then good quality modern MKP's like Audyn Cap Plus, Mundorf Supreme or even the red Jantzen Superiors should make a nice improvement.

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    California
    Posts
    1,619
    Quote Originally Posted by BMWCCA View Post
    I've owned mine for over 30-years and haven't felt compelled to mess with perfection.
    Agree
    Leave them as built

  8. #8
    Administrator Mr. Widget's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    9,981
    Quote Originally Posted by martin2395 View Post
    If you wish to spend money on them...
    I don't dispute that those caps maybe an upgrade, but I would submit that spending that money elsewhere in the system, or buying more music would be money better spent.


    Widget

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    California
    Posts
    1,619
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post
    I don't dispute that those caps maybe an upgrade, but I would submit that spending that money elsewhere in the system, or buying more music would be money better spent.


    Widget
    Sound advice

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. How much to recap a pair of W5m's?
    By jerryjg in forum General Audio Discussion
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-04-2008, 06:50 PM
  2. bought pair P10's today , question
    By SEAWOLF97 in forum Lansing Product General Information
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 01-01-2007, 10:30 AM
  3. bought 4412 pair today
    By SEAWOLF97 in forum Lansing Product General Information
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 12-26-2006, 09:33 AM
  4. l100 & 4311 crossover recap question
    By earphase in forum Lansing Product Technical Help
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-19-2006, 09:27 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •