Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My new JBL 250ti's (Limited Edition)

Thumbs up My new JBL 250ti's (Limited Edition)

I was able to find this pair of 250ti's within 3 hours of my location, they are from the original owner who is a German man that brought them from Germany when he moved to the United states. I knew it would take quite a good speaker to unseat my 4430's as my top dogs, and after a refoam of the LE14H-1 woofers, these black beauties have done just that. Since picking them up, I have searched for information on this model and found out that mine are considered 250tiBQ that have a more condensed crossover, and the 035tiA-1 tweeters. Does anyone know what the BQ stands for? So I now have these two beautiful Limited Edition 250ti's to compliment my L-220's, and 4430's, the quality of sound has gone up around here needless to say. Anyone with additional information on the Limited Edition model please chime in, I did read that they were produced in 1990, and I saw a date of October 1989 on one of the tweeters. Is there a record of how many Limited's were produced?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

congrats

there are many threads here about the standard 250Ti's , but I THINK there were not too many of
    your model produced.

Am not sure why they moved from the 044Ti to the 035Ti , but it's a very capable tweet. Easier to
    replace if needed , there are lots out there and I'd suggest hoarding a pair.

The 250Ti sound is NOT classic JBL , forward and punchy. They are more balanced and laid back,
    but will certainly get rockin' when need be. The volume will scale higher than my ears limits, and
    have never heard the sound break up.

I do use a UB212 powered sub (from the L-212 combo) and can tell when the sub is OFF/ON. The
    250's are VG without it, but EX with it on.

Don't ever sell them , there is little in the price range that you'd receive that's better.
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

I was under the impression that the BQ variation was sold in Europe only. I may well be wrong.

Don't underestimate the impact of the time-aligned baffle. The 250s have a certain clarity you don't hear with most other speakers, which I attribute to time alignment. That and the fact that a big-assed 4-way is hard to beat.

He said he bought them from someone who did buy them in Germany.

I've become a HUGE fan of time aligned speakers - makes a world of a difference!

Quote Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post
    I was under the impression that the BQ variation was sold in Europe only. I may well be wrong.

Don't underestimate the impact of the time-aligned baffle. The 250s have a certain clarity you don't hear with most other speakers, which I attribute to time alignment. That and the fact that a big-assed 4-way is hard to beat.
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Quote Originally Posted by SEAWOLF97 View Post
    congrats

there are many threads here about the standard 250Ti's , but I THINK there were not too many of
    your model produced.

Am not sure why they moved from the 044Ti to the 035Ti , but it's a very capable tweet. Easier to
    replace if needed , there are lots out there and I'd suggest hoarding a pair.

The 250Ti sound is NOT classic JBL , forward and punchy. They are more balanced and laid back,
    but will certainly get rockin' when need be. The volume will scale higher than my ears limits, and
    have never heard the sound break up.

I do use a UB212 powered sub (from the L-212 combo) and can tell when the sub is OFF/ON. The
    250's are VG without it, but EX with it on.

Don't ever sell them , there is little in the price range that you'd receive that's better.
    Thanks for the replies everyone, I'm very impressed with the speakers, I have them running behind a Carver TFM-35 amp, and Phase Linear 2000 preamp. I find no need for a sub with this setup, and I agree with the fact that even at super high volume levels they stay clear and image very well. Any ideas when and if the crossovers should be freshened up? I see a bunch of electrolictics in there.

I'm pretty sure that "BQ" was shorthand for "black lacquer".

Quote Originally Posted by hsosdrum View Post
    I'm pretty sure that "BQ" was shorthand for "black lacquer".
    That is my opinion that I can affirm with certainty to the extent that I know squat.

I think the piano black finish on these models works very well.
    David F
    San Jose

Mctwins
    Great speakers....congrats

BQ was for black lacquer. They were sold here - believe it or not, at Circuit City We sold them, I believe they were $4,995 per pair. I don't think anyone but employees purchased them, as we really had no proper room to put them in and show them off. They shipped in proper crates, with cotton gloves included. Enjoy - I got my father a pair and also got a pair with center channel myself, though mine don't get listened to much. I would consider rebuilding the tweeters with new damping foam, as they seem to get brighter sounding and lose some detail as the foam disentegrates.
    That the internet contains a blog documenting your life does not constitute proof that your existence is valid. Sorry.

So it seems there were more than the Limited Edition models sold in the gloss black, but the way I understood it, the Limited's were 1990 only.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I believe they switched to Tia tweeter after they quit producing the 44 and still made the speakers. I thought there was a limited edition in the US that had charge couple covers and was black. I didn't know all the euro version were black but they all tibq I believe.

4 different covers. L250, 250ti, tibq, limited edition. 1st 2 appears very similar no can fit intact others box. I think the same for the 2nd two fitting but look different , at least the limited had a battery and looks different but fits.

i don't remember if there were more than 2 different tweeters, there may have been a gold in one of them but the same specs as a non gold , again not sure

All my best attempt of memory and gathered from here
    Changing to Legacy Audio and started with a Silver Screen HD for my center between the 250TIs

L250, 250Ti, 250TiBQ(US), 250Ti Jubilee edition (Europe). It was the Jubilee edition that had the CC crossovers.
    That the internet contains a blog documenting your life does not constitute proof that your existence is valid. Sorry.

There were also 250Ti Classic Editions(I have a pair)from the mid 90s that pretty much look the same as the Limited Editions right down to the classic edition plate at the back and Bi Wiring option. They have gold 035TIA tweeters as well. They were Europe only i think as mine came from Germany.
    Currently own and use JBL 250Ti,250Ti Classic,18Ti,L100T and L20T

Well it's good to hear your 4430s were unseated. If you want to sell them I know someone who is desperate for a pair!!!

250 TI Limitid Edition

Hello.

Pardon my English, i am coming from Denmark

I write to you because i have a problem with my speakers.When i shut Down the power on my amplifier there is coming a "bang" from the speakers. I have tested the amplifier with some other speakers and there is no problem. Only if i play on my JBL, is it posible that the problem is on the board inside the speakers, i have read somewhere that there is a form of battery on the board ????
    Let me hear your opinion

Greetings from Denmark - Mr Ole Breum

Thread Information