Thread: FlexiSpeaker

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

FlexiSpeaker

This part of my sound system journey started around 8 years ago. The old 4-ways was too constraining, being a single box. I also wanted to move away from passive crossover, because it changes with drivers and horns.

A plan started to form - design a modular crossover and pick some parts for a 3/4 way system.Back in 07 I was very pleased with my 2245's, so they were definitely in. Along the way Nelson Pass released an article about Slot loaded open baffles (http://www.firstwatt.com/pdf/art_slob.pdf), which were implemented first for my office speakers (http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...ser&highlight=). Bass-box was revised into slob's and an extra pair of 2245's aquired.

For mid-bass duty the old 2202A would have to be releaved. I looked at JBL 2020 and Tad TM1201. A pair of Tad's surfaced first. A 130Hz horn was modeled with hornresp.

Mid/high was definitely going to be updated. First I stumbled over a pair of 2435's, and was quite happy with that idea until 4313B sourced me a pair of 476Be. Modeled a 400Hz horn.

I designed a modular fully balanced crossover. It has been fitted with 3-way stereo main-boards. Each main-board can take up to 3 filter-/equalizer- cards.

I first fired the system up in september, with no equalizer cards. Have built equalizer cards during the winter.

Finally I can say that my take on a FlexiSpeaker is up and running. Any component can now be switched with minimal effort. This is a solid platform for continue development.
    Attached Images Attached Images      
    Johnny Haugen Sørgård

Thread Information