Thread: D130F Orange Label dating by Serial Number

D130F Orange Label dating by Serial Number

Hi there,

1st-time poster :-)

(I guess most 1st-time posters probably ask similar types of questions, so please excuse me if this has been asked before)

According to a 3rd-party report here

http://www.harpamps.com/micKspeakers/JBL-dating.html

about what Harvey Gerst reputedly said some time ago, there is not much you can tell about the date of manufacture from looking at a JBL D130 serial number

I have two Fender Signature JBL D130F (Orange Frame) in a Dual Showman Reverb cabinet (cabinet serial number 1277). I understand the cabinet dates from the early 1970s. The serial numbers on the speakers are 14122 and 14125.

Can anyone shed any further light on when this pair of D130F might have been made? (They still work exceptionally well by the way)
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by tubeswell View Post
    Hi there,

1st-time poster :-)

(I guess most 1st-time posters probably ask similar types of questions, so please excuse me if this has been asked before)

According to a 3rd-party report here

http://www.harpamps.com/micKspeakers/JBL-dating.html

about what Harvey Gerst reputedly said some time ago, there is not much you can tell about the date of manufacture from looking at a JBL D130 serial number

I have two Fender Signature JBL D130F (Orange Frame) in a Dual Showman Reverb cabinet (cabinet serial number 1277). I understand the cabinet dates from the early 1970s. The serial numbers on the speakers are 14122 and 14125.

Can anyone shed any further light on when this pair of D130F might have been made? (They still work exceptionally well by the way)
    Greetings, and welcome to the Heritage forum -

If anyone would know about the orange series speakers, it would be Harvey. Instead of trying to date the serial numbers, perhaps someone on the forum can reveal how long the orange baskets were issued before the black K baskets made their appearance. They weren't made for very long, so what difference would a year or so make?

I bought four orange basket D140F's in 1974 through a friend at Fender, but I have brochures for the black baskets that date back to 1973. I was told by someone at JBL in 1975 that the cone kits in the orange baskets were actually K kits. The orange / black paint was applied at Fender's request. If anyone recalls, Gauss painted their baskets orange / black for Fender as well.

H.F.

The registry does not have enough drivers with date info to be of any help.

Thread Information