Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: My new jbl 4365

Mctwins
    Quote Originally Posted by bubbleboy76 View Post
    That is a lot of power
    Yes it is, if you don't use the limiting settings.

Mctwins
    Hallo!

So, yesterday it arrived, my Crown MA 5000i and connected it to drive my 4365. My DCi 2/600N goes to 4429. Now, both systems is complete.

The MAi has a better grip hold on to the speakers as I expected compared to DCi. MAi is a winner
    Attached Images Attached Images   

United Corporate States of Neo-Feudal Amurica, Inc.
    Now that you have the big Crown, have you turned them all the way up yet - you know max continuous RMS rating, or just below distortion just to see what they'll do?

Mctwins
    Quote Originally Posted by LowPhreak View Post
    Now that you have the big Crown, have you turned them all the way up yet - you know max continuous RMS rating, or just below distortion just to see what they'll do?
    Yes, today I have and the 4365 sound even better now. I say "god damn". It is like it holds the bass in a grip and longer, difficult to describe. It feels like the bass is jumping off the frame.

I have it on 26dB gain and also using the 260 in the chain, for the input limiters. I have the RMS Power Threshold limiters set on 300Watts and Peak Threshold at 97Vpk(Voltage Peak).

The Crown MA 5000i is not a toy, fantastic amplifier!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Mctwins View Post
    Hallo!

So, yesterday it arrived, my Crown MA 5000i and connected it to drive my 4365. My DCi 2/600N goes to 4429. Now, both systems is complete.

The MAi has a better grip hold on to the speakers as I expected compared to DCi. MAi is a winner
    The Crown is not cheap, though. $4600 retail USD. I personally would go for something else for a purer sound, haha.
    S4700 owner.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave_72 View Post
    The Crown is not cheap, though. $4600 retail USD. I personally would go for something else for a purer sound, haha.
    I know better than to compare specs on paper, but the rated THD on the Crown is pretty high isn't it? 1% THD. My Hypex nCores has a rated THD of below 0.0007%. That is world class though

Mctwins
    Hallo!

I did get my Crown less than you are saying. Talking about money is a relativ matter and I don't like to talk about this subject on a forum.

But, you have to define what you mean by "purer sound", please explain!!!

Mctwins
    I know better than to compare specs on paper, but the rated THD on the Crown is pretty high isn't it? 1% THD. My Hypex nCores has a rated THD of below 0.0007%. That is world class though
    Hallo!

You are totally wrong about the THD figures. Where did you get this number from?

Here is the correct data about Crown MA5000i, remember, this is for all Macro-Tech from MA5000i, MA9000i and MA12000i.

Total Harmonic Distortion(THD) at 2watts into 8ohms <0,1%
    Total Harmonic Distortion(THD) Plus Noise at full rated power <0,35%
    Intermodulation Distortion(IMD) 60Hz and 7kHz at 4:1, from full rated output to -30dB <0,35%

Please do write correctly next time!!!

Hallo!

I did get my Crown less than you are saying. Talking about money is a relativ matter and I don't like to talk about this subject on a forum.

But, you have to define what you mean by "purer sound", please explain!!!
    Of course, nobody pays retail unless maybe ultra high end stuff, but to me still expensive for such a small and light amp. The better choices in that price range are ATI 6002 and maybe the Bryston 4BSST2.

Purer sound is lack of grain, better reproduced frequencies, sounds like real instruments in a real space, and separation of the instruments. The instruments and voices sounds like they are coming from outside the speakers rather than from them. This can be done. When you have sound merely coming from each speaker, that is not true stereo, that is dual mono or mono. Imo, Crown and most other pro gear does not achieve this goal, they weren't designed for that anyway. They were designed just for sound reinforcement. Now top flight studio gear like the new-ish JBLs such as the M2 and your speakers, that's a different story.
    S4700 owner.

Of course, nobody pays retail unless maybe ultra high end stuff, but to me still expensive for such a small and light amp. The better choices in that price range are ATI 6002 and maybe the Bryston 4BSST2.

Purer sound is lack of grain, better reproduced frequencies, sounds like real instruments in a real space, and separation of the instruments. The instruments and voices sounds like they are coming from outside the speakers rather than from them. This can be done. When you have sound merely coming from each speaker, that is not true stereo, that is dual mono or mono. Imo, Crown and most other pro gear does not achieve this goal, they weren't designed for that anyway. They were designed just for sound reinforcement. Now top flight studio gear like the new-ish JBLs such as the M2 and your speakers, that's a different story.
    I have equal pure sound now then when running all the gear in McIntosh. I have all that you describe despite the change of the gear. You are wrong in saying that Crown dosent achive this goal. All of my gear is of the pro side at the moment and frankly it has everything that you are saying it dosent have.

You should have better facts in your statements before you write such funny stuff

0.1% not 1%. Misspelling from me.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Bobecca View Post
    I have equal pure sound now then when running all the gear in McIntosh. I have all that you describe despite the change of the gear. You are wrong in saying that Crown dosent achive this goal. All of my gear is of the pro side at the moment and frankly it has everything that you are saying it dosent have.

You should have better facts in your statements before you write such funny stuff
    And what better facts do you have? Pro audio can be good, but not to the level of sound quality and true stereo presentation as the better high end units. Again, pro, with the exception of studio monitors like JBL, is not designed to do that. There are exceptions, however. And pro audio can be just as expensive as high end audio, so let's deflate that myth.
    S4700 owner.

United Corporate States of Neo-Feudal Amurica, Inc.
    If you look at post 4, one can see that load impedance is around 10 ohms. The right coner of the screen where is say's "Amplifier settings". Notice that the picture is not so good but download it your computer so you can see it a little better.

We have this as a reference and we can see later on if the impedance goes down to it's nominal level, 8ohm

Amplifier settings, Average IMP. On the screen that says "Continuous"

Hi McTwins,

Oznob's recent thread on his new 590's reminded me of this again. Wondering if you've seen any change in that 10Ω impedance since they were new?

Mctwins
    Quote Originally Posted by LowPhreak View Post
    Hi McTwins,

Oznob's recent thread on his new 590's reminded me of this again. Wondering if you've seen any change in that 10Ω impedance since they were new?
    Hallo!

If you look at post 21, I have notice that I didn't set the nominal impedance correctly. This setting was for the 4429 speakers nominal impedance. So forgett about this.

Now I have MA5000i, but I can tell that it fluctuate between 8 to 11ohms depends what volume setting I have.

So, to answer your question, No, I don't see any major difference.

Mctwins
    0.1% not 1%. Misspelling from me.
    Good, thanks!

Thread Information