Thread: My new jbl 4365

Mctwins
    Quote Originally Posted by ivica View Post
    Hi Mctwins,

May be can help:
    http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...l=1#post252244

regards
    Ivica
    Thanks for the link.. very interesting and informative. But, JBL still do not recommend bi-amping if not the user is familiar with electronic crossover/EQ equipment he or she can do so, but, still have to have the same Voltage vs Freq curve as in the passive network. So here, I don't see the point, the result will still be the same.

Nice white paper, how could I miss this one.

Mctwins
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffW View Post
    There'd probably be a label if it was

Nice, I have put back the metalplate in my 4429 and will go for singelwire here as well. With SpeakOn connectors.

Aha, now I see it...Monster cable

Mctwins
    I am happy with Supra Ply 3,4 speaker cables. Good electrical data

Mctwins
    I have connected my beloved dbx260 in the system, now it won't clip anymore on the input. Running fullrange config. Love those brickwall limiters.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by Mctwins View Post
    Thanks for the link.. very interesting and informative. But, JBL still do not recommend bi-amping if not the user is familiar with electronic crossover/EQ equipment he or she can do so, but, still have to have the same Voltage vs Freq curve as in the passive network. So here, I don't see the point, the result will still be the same.

Nice white paper, how could I miss this one.
    Hi Mctwins,

Looking at the JBL K2-S9900 network, using bi-amp mode, You can change bass to VHF driver crossover frequency, while UHF would not be influenced, and driver & H9900 horn EQ network will remain in the system too (CD compensation, etc). So bass driver control would be better (as no passive elements would interfere).

Regards
    Ivica

Mctwins
    Quote Originally Posted by ivica View Post
    Hi Mctwins,

Looking at the JBL K2-S9900 network, using bi-amp mode, You can change bass to VHF driver crossover frequency, while UHF would not be influenced, and driver & H9900 horn EQ network will remain in the system too (CD compensation, etc). So bass driver control would be better (as no passive elements would interfere).

Regards
    Ivica
    Yes. you are correct and I understand the difference between the K2 and 4365, but, there is no bi-amp switch on 4365 and the network is still in working order when bi-amping. Still, I don't have to worry or go with the hassle to adjust the x-overs voltage vs freq response. To me, regarding bi-wire vs singel wire, single wire wins. It sounds better. Sounds cleaner and more coherent sound.

Maybe I hear the difference becasue one single cable goes from the amp directly to the speaker. To me, it is allready bi-wired(inside the cabinet of the 4365) from the binding post to the seperate Woofer and HF. Don't have to buy another sets of cable for the 4429

Mctwins
    Before I connected the dbx260 I was running in the Crown DCi at 28dB gain. There are two settings in the Crown, one 34dB gain and one 28dB gain. 34dB gain corresponds to 1,4Volt sensitivity and the 28dB gain is 6dB lower in signal level.

Now I am running in the 34dB gain. When I run a pink noise thru the system from my CD player the INPUT SIGNAL on my dbx260 is flashing red at a volume level at 80% on my McIntosh C48. Turned down the INPUT LEVEL on my dbx260 INPUT MIXER by -1dB and on my Crown to -3,5dB so no more clipping on the input both on the dbx260 or the Crown. After this I set the LIMITER on the dbx260 so when I pass beyond 80% no clipping is detected on the input on the Crown. Technically, I can play music from 80-100& without clipping the input stage. Off course, it is very loud. On the OUTPUT LEVEL on the Crown I turn down to -5dB so I have the same level in INPUT and OUTPUT on my Crown amp or to my satisfactory level depends what mood I am in. Gain structure properly done...

When I had it on 28dB gain it sounded good but softer, now , ooiiiieeeeee god damn.

In your room and system, how is the sound different between 4365 and 4429? Have you compared?

Mctwins
    Quote Originally Posted by bubbleboy76 View Post
    In your room and system, how is the sound different between 4365 and 4429? Have you compared?
    Hallo!

Well, it is difficult to describe how it sounds in words. To answer your question, there is no difference how it sounds in the room, acoustically speaking. There is difference between the speakers, 4365 has more SPL level compared to 4429. If you look at the measurements I have been presented, both 4429 and 4365 looking at the listening position, then it looks the same, dispite the differen't speaker position. Most important is to see in the measurement if you have modal resonances, special the Burst Decay in ARTA. Also the Early Reflection is important as well.

Measureing a speaker vs a room is totally two differen't things.

Yes, I am comparing every day when I switch between listening to 4429 or 4365, both speakers sounds great in there own way, so to speak.

So they measure the same, but sounds different?

Mctwins
    Quote Originally Posted by bubbleboy76 View Post
    So they measure the same, but sounds different?
    You are missunderstanding me,

All of my JBL speakers sounds the same in my room

You have to take the loudspeaker out of the equation when talking about room acoustics. The charateristics of the Room Acoustic response vs the Response of the loudspeaker measurerd in a anechoic chamber is two differen't matter.

The only thing that differ is the SPL level produced from the loudspeaker. For example, PRX600 series has 10dB more SPL level compared to 4365 at the same volume setting (say 60%) from my preamp.

Quote Originally Posted by Mctwins View Post
    You have to take the loudspeaker out of the equation when talking about room acoustics.
    That might be true if all loudspeakers had the exact same directivity behavior, but that is far from being the case.

Mctwins
    Hallo!

I will soon add a Crown MA 5000i to drive my JBL 4365

My Crown DCi 2/600N will go to 4429, change my mind about Drivecore XLS2002

Mctwins
    Hallo!

Tomorrow!!.... probably, I will have my Crown MA 5000i deliverd. oowwieee

That is a lot of power

Thread Information