Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Best JBL mod for Klipschorn?

Alex Lancaster
    Itīs getting to the point of selling the horrible Kīs, and getting some real JBLīs.

xvtwin
    Very impressive, fellas!!!

Thanks very much for commenting on the many options available to me. I can see that I need to educate myself about the various JBL and Altec products available. I've never heard of Vitavox. Very interesting that there was a Canadian version of the K-horn; I've never seen one for sale or even heard of one. I have looked at the Pioneer/TAD websight. Pricey. There is a company close to where I live that sells reproductions of classic horn speakers that uses TAD drivers. I think I need to drive down there and take a listen.

It wasn't until after I bought and spent time with my K-horns that I realized there was such a big wide world of horn loaded speakers out there. My impression of JBL was made when I was in high school in the 70's. A friend's father had a pair of bookshelf speakers that we used to crank up when he would leave the house. The grills had raised blocks of brown speaker foam.
    I was impressed! I don't think his dad would have been.

Thanks again for the comments. I'm going to enjoy this sight. Aren't these fun toys?

The grills had raised blocks of brown speaker foam.
    Curtain call for Bo. Curtain goes up in five minutes.
    Regards

Don McRitchie

Thats too funny!

Quote Originally Posted by Don McRitchie
    Curtain call for Bo. Curtain goes up in five minutes.

Saturday Night Live here we come!
    scottyj

One idea that came to mind, was to use something like a 2123 in a "Perkins-style" horn... like a miniature JBL 4560, for a 10". That'd load, easily, down to 300 Hz. And the lower end gain would be enough, probably,to mate with the K-horn bass.

Remember, with a three-way setup, the "midband gain" both in the crossover, and due to the fact that the woofer and tweeter overlap the mid, the midrange can be up to 2-3 dB LESS efficient than EITHER the woofer or tweeter. So, 100dB sensitivity @ 300-400 Hz, should do the trick. I'd think, with the horn gain "propping up" the bottom of the 2123, it probably would do the trick.

Though, if you're talking horn-loaded 2123, I'd probably be inclined to make it a FOUR way... with say, a 2420/2421/2425/2426 on either a Smith horn or something like a 2370 for the upper mids, and a 2404 or 2405 for VHF. I'd be inclined to bi-amp this setup... run the K-horn bass on one amp, and the remainder of the drivers (2123, 2425, 2404, or whatever combo is picked) on a second amp, bi-amping the setup at about 350 Hz or so. I'd bet THAT would be SERIOUSLY impressive...

In lieu of that, the idea of an Altec 311 is probably the most practical functionally, if not from an aesthetic or space-friendly standpoint. That, and a 2404 up top, would probably be extremely impressive.

Regards,
    Gordon.

Maron Horonzakz
    Two 2123 per side raises the gain sensivity to 104 db & 2404 is already at 105db so level matching is almost perfect. Community drivers make a good match also on certin horns But the Vitavox Klipschorn was the Roll Royce of that line.

Quote Originally Posted by xvtwin
    The grills had raised blocks of brown speaker foam.
    I was impressed! I don't think his dad would have been.
    Me neither...

Go hear (sic) where the mystical grills are discussed - http://audioheritage.csdco.com/vbull...=6323#post6323
    we had some fun there...

And the legendary cabinets you lust for are the L100's - they receive exhorbitant amounts of attention here. Hell, maybe I shouldn't hate 'em. Most of us are here because of them - once we heard them we knew JBL could do better...

xvtwin = the Yamaha? Nice bike, dood...
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

xvtwin
    Honda VTX 1800....thanks anyway!

I must confess. This is how our "critical" listening went on the L100. Dad pulls out of the driveway, shots of tequila come out (subsequent SCREAM), LP gets fired up and on goes AC/DC, Led Zeppelin, or Tommy Bolin (Tommy Bolin? You could FEEL the bass string vibrate on "Post Toastie"-I have'nt heard it since then but I think I need to find it NOW!). Who's on the lookout? Maybe another shot of tequila. Or could it have been that Pioneer 270 WATT! YES, 270 WATT receiver that made them sound so good? Certainly left an impression on me.

I'm learning here. I purchased a pair of 2404H tweets. Should have them next week. Gotta start somewhere. Should be fun.

"I purchased a pair of 2404H tweets. Should have them next week. Gotta start somewhere. Should be fun."

Welcome to the "nut" house

Rob

Quote Originally Posted by xvtwin
    Maybe another shot of tequila.
    I think - I think I love you! Kiss me!!!

Seriously - you would LOVE my band...

-------------------

Sorry to have guessed the wrong bike - not being a bike-guy, I got as close as could be expected (hell - I was lucky to have guessed it was a bike! There's other motorheads here - maybe they'll get in touch [hey, Andre...?]).

Oh, and you being a tequila fan, the engineer for the band I lead sing in, recently turned us onto "Cabo Wabo Blanco". Whoa... Sammy Hagar knows plenty about tequila, huh? Freeze the stuff - it's unbelievable (says he, a fan of Cuervo Gold...)
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

Maron Horonzakz
    Now that I,ve got everybody,s attention!!!!!! I dont believe the JBL beryllium drivers are a improvement . But are a compromise. I dont make this statement lightly.

Could you elaborate?

Widget

Maron Horonzakz
    Elaborate?......Think about it. What other companys use Be diaphrams. Why are the JBL units so different? And why did they choose to form their diaphrams that way? Also why the Aquaplas? Eliminate the coating and what do you find? Befor you answere think this through. Substitute the K2 S98000 mid driver with what superior driver ? Then throw away the 045Be tweeter.

What are you talking about?

Its been said.....

They tell me that JBL hot rolls their Be, while TAD still does it the old way, sputtering, or vacuum depositing as its technically known!

I guess they aquaplas them to smooth out the response, but if you do remove the coating, what would you find?

As far as professional grade drivers, the only other company I know of that uses Be is TAD. And Focal is making high frequency units for consumer speakers using Be diaphragms.

What else do you have to add Maron, I would like to know more!
    scottyj

Thread Information