I'm considering some modifications for my Klipschorns (1990, AK-3) in an attempt to smooth out the upper midrange. This is my first post here so I hope I'm in the right place. I've read a few opinions about this so I thought I'd share them and see what some of the veteran JBL people think. My power amp is a Golden Tube Audio SE 40 that has been modded by Sonic Craft.

One individual (from the Klipsch board) replaced the top end with 2447 driver/2354 horn with a JBL Pro Dsc 260 active crossover and biamp. It is now a 2 way. About $3000. Can this combination provide good HF response? Seems like that is a lot to ask of the 2447. He says it works for him.

Another (less ambitious) suggestion is to replace the midrange driver with a 2426h and use a dbx Drive Rack PA as an active crossover/biamp. This was from a local dealer. They were helpful but I don't think that they have tried this before. Would a 2370 horn be a possibility?

Another very ambitious project comes from the Audio Engineering League. They have a few different suggestions. They seem to like the 2404h tweeter and use it with either JBL 2123 or 2012 direct radiators. They also use an older Altec horn in one of thier applications. Very impressive web sight.

I'm quite impressed (and confused) by the sheer number of JBL drivers and horns. Any suggestions (other than I should have bought JBL in the first place) are appreciated. I'm just trying to make my speakers sound better.

Thanks!