Thread: Moore's Law applies to audio electronics too ?

Moore's Law applies to audio electronics too ?

. http://mashable.com/2015/04/19/what-...aw-doesnt-say/

In a section that deals with the cost of building these circuits, Moore explains that the cost of squeezing in additional components falls until the yield levels — the number of final circuit boards that actually work— start to fall. At that point, the costs tend to increase dramatically.
    As components are added, decreased yields more than compensate for the increased complexity, tending to raise... The cost per component.

Thus there is a minimum cost at any given time in the evolution of the technology. At present, it is reached when 50 components are used per circuit. But the minimum is rising rapidly while the entire cost curve is falling
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

Pacific Northwest, but North-er and West-er
    Watts/$, or watts/pound might follow similar curves when you consider Class D amps.
    I control the treble.
    I control the bass.

Quote Originally Posted by honkytonkwillie View Post
    Watts/$, or watts/pound might follow similar curves when you consider Class D amps.
    Hi honkytonkwillie,

Have You any experience with Class-D amps nominal over 200W, delivering 0.1W ( or even 0.01W)
    while using high-efficiency speakers such as 95 dB/W/m in "a home listening surrounding"?

Regards
    ivica

Quote Originally Posted by ivica View Post
    Have You any experience with Class-D amps nominal over 200W, delivering 0.1W ( or even 0.01W)
    while using high-efficiency speakers such as 95 dB/W/m in "a home listening surrounding"?
    No. The only Class D I have is a FiiO A1. Rated at 10watts/channel into 8-Ohms. The sound isn't obviously terrible, but after a few hundred hours of casual listening, I've come to think of it as dry, weak, hollow, and without a soul. It's not a power thing, as my main amp is a luxurious 6watt/channel Class A on some almost high-efficiency speakers (93dB/W/m). But that's just my take on it. I've got an open mind and don't readily dismiss others' opinions of Class D. I just haven't heard a good one yet.

Oh, I have heard a few ridiculously rated 500-800W car audio amplifiers which I assumed were Class D due to their rather small chassis. Not long enough to form a good opinion, but those experiences weren't good for other reasons. However, recently I was reading about a Class D amp designer - is he a Dutchman living in Belgium? His products looked really promising. I cant remember his name or his company. I recall he made DIY parts available.
    I control the treble.
    I control the bass.

However, recently I was reading about a Class D amp designer - is he a Dutchman living in Belgium? His products looked really promising. I cant remember his name or his company. I recall he made DIY parts available.
    That would be Bruno Putzeys from Hypex.

Quote Originally Posted by pos View Post
    That would be Bruno Putzeys from Hypex.
    Yes, Putzeys.

I don't know enough abomut the Class D topology to understand the crux of his innovations but the articles sounded rather exciting, as if he finally brought Class D to a respectable level of perceived quality.
    I control the treble.
    I control the bass.

Yes, Putzeys.

I don't know enough abomut the Class D topology to understand the crux of his innovations but the articles sounded rather exciting, as if he finally brought Class D to a respectable level of perceived quality.
    His ucd amps are very respectable sound quality. A friend uses them, one of which is connected directly to a horn; no audible noise, no crossover distortion, excellent fidelity. His NCore amps are considered state of the art sound quality by many reviewers. The NC1200 amp module is used in several commercial amps, here's one: http://www.positive-feedback.com/Iss...rill_audio.htm
    Oppo BDP-95 DCX-2496 RMX-850 Parasound A21 First Watt J2 Dayton RSS390HF-4 MTM Quads of SEAS W18E001 511Bs TAD TD-2002

Thread Information