Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Subwooffer with JBL 2245H

Subwooffer with JBL 2245H

Hello
    I will build a subwoofer with 1 x 2245 but for the moment I don't know what volume to use. I have enought wood to biuld a box of 340L inside. Is there anybody who has built a big enclosure for a 2245 ? Most of people build enclosures with JBL enclosure dimension bit is there sommeone that use bigger box ?

Thanx a lot

At the bottom of the page, you can see a strip that says "similar threads". Your can also get an answer there. ;-)

Lee
    Last edited by Lee in Montreal; 04-17-2015 at 01:45 PM. Reason: typo correction ;-)

It's probably a good idea to use the B460 as a model. This of course uses the BX63 for really low eq.
    A bigger box will get you lower also.

340L is 12 Cu Ft, that's the classic 2245 sub build

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...ox-12-Cubic-Ft

More plans here

http://www.lansingheritage.org/html/.../1983-subs.htm

Quote Originally Posted by andychris View Post
    Hello
    I will build a subwoofer with 1 x 2245 but for the moment I don't know what volume to use. I have enought wood to biuld a box of 340L inside. Is there anybody who has built a big enclosure for a 2245 ? Most of people build enclosures with JBL enclosure dimension bit is there sommeone that use bigger box ?

Thanx a lot
    I use a pair of ASH 6118 cabinets each with a 2245H driver in them. When you get the cabinets, remove the stock boat anchor drivers and sell them on Ebay, tear out the wiring and replace with better stuff. You should also glue every seam by reaching inside with an extension arm and turning the cabinets so the glue flows properly into the joints. This is the best bass I have heard yet in any venue or home driving them with Atma Sphere MA-1 OTLs fed by two MP1s in series. I haven't yet heard Eminent Technologies fan type subwoofers, but they are very expensive and require an additional two add on rooms for cabinets. After you are done, be careful that you don't ruin your guts or make yourself permanently blind due to detached retinas. I am not joking, infrasound in large quantities can hurt you. After a prolonged 16 Hz undertone in an organ solo for several minutes, my bowels actually cut loose, and I am not prone to that. It sure sounds great, though. Adjust your pampers accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by Vottboy View Post
    I use a pair of ASH 6118 cabinets each with a 2245H driver in them. When you get the cabinets, remove the stock boat anchor drivers and sell them on Ebay, tear out the wiring and replace with better stuff. You should also glue every seam by reaching inside with an extension arm and turning the cabinets so the glue flows properly into the joints. This is the best bass I have heard yet in any venue or home driving them with Atma Sphere MA-1 OTLs fed by two MP1s in series. I haven't yet heard Eminent Technologies fan type subwoofers, but they are very expensive and require an additional two add on rooms for cabinets. After you are done, be careful that you don't ruin your guts or make yourself permanently blind due to detached retinas. I am not joking, infrasound in large quantities can hurt you. After a prolonged 16 Hz undertone in an organ solo for several minutes, my bowels actually cut loose, and I am not prone to that. It sure sounds great, though. Adjust your pampers accordingly.
    Do you mean you replaced the original 2242H with a 2245?

Go big! The best box is no box (infinite baffle).
    Attached Images Attached Images  

When you get the cabinets, remove the stock boat anchor drivers and sell them on Ebay...
    Well, the 2242 is far from being a boat anchor, unless it is literally dead. Nop. It is just better suited for a different range of bass. You don't 16Hz when doing live sound or clubs. ;-)

BTW If you had measurements of your combo, that would be great. The 2245 has a much larger Vas (29cft-820L) than the 2242 (10cft-283L), and I wonder how it behaves with a small chamber behind.

Quote Originally Posted by audiomagnate View Post
    Go big! The best box is no box (infinite baffle).
    Now all I need is a fireplace!

Quote Originally Posted by JeffW View Post
    Now all I need is a fireplace!
    Or, so what my friend Steve did -
    build the box ... heck, build 2 of them and stack them in a handy closet ...!
    (He built 2 more later on and has 4 in that stack - but I can't find a picture of his final config right now)

Attachment 76393
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Now all I need is a handy closet!

I think the Adcom stacks are to keep the subs from moving out.
    When faced with another JBL find, Good mech986 says , JBL Fan mech986 says

NICE!!!!!!!!!! I have two 2245 baskets, I can see a mission coming up

Quote Originally Posted by quindecima View Post
    NICE!!!!!!!!!! I have two 2245 baskets, I can see a mission coming up

Edgewound can help you with that!!
    Always fun learning more.......

Quote Originally Posted by hjames View Post
    Or, so what my friend Steve did -
    build the box ... heck, build 2 of them and stack them in a handy closet ...!
    (He built 2 more later on and has 4 in that stack - but I can't find a picture of his final config right now)
    That is very cool!!

I would love to see the final config!!

Quote Originally Posted by JeffW View Post
    Now all I need is a handy closet!
    Yep!! That closet is pretty handy!!
    Always fun learning more.......

Thread Information