Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 19

Thread: Subwooffer with JBL 2245H

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    france
    Posts
    54

    Subwooffer with JBL 2245H

    Hello
    I will build a subwoofer with 1 x 2245 but for the moment I don't know what volume to use. I have enought wood to biuld a box of 340L inside. Is there anybody who has built a big enclosure for a 2245 ? Most of people build enclosures with JBL enclosure dimension bit is there sommeone that use bigger box ?

    Thanx a lot

  2. #2
    Senior Member Lee in Montreal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Montréal
    Posts
    2,397
    At the bottom of the page, you can see a strip that says "similar threads". Your can also get an answer there. ;-)

    Lee
    Last edited by Lee in Montreal; 04-17-2015 at 01:45 PM. Reason: typo correction ;-)

  3. #3
    Senior Member macaroonie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    near Glasgow Scotland
    Posts
    1,842
    It's probably a good idea to use the B460 as a model. This of course uses the BX63 for really low eq.
    A bigger box will get you lower also.

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    1,704
    340L is 12 Cu Ft, that's the classic 2245 sub build

    http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...ox-12-Cubic-Ft

    More plans here

    http://www.lansingheritage.org/html/.../1983-subs.htm

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by andychris View Post
    Hello
    I will build a subwoofer with 1 x 2245 but for the moment I don't know what volume to use. I have enought wood to biuld a box of 340L inside. Is there anybody who has built a big enclosure for a 2245 ? Most of people build enclosures with JBL enclosure dimension bit is there sommeone that use bigger box ?

    Thanx a lot
    I use a pair of ASH 6118 cabinets each with a 2245H driver in them. When you get the cabinets, remove the stock boat anchor drivers and sell them on Ebay, tear out the wiring and replace with better stuff. You should also glue every seam by reaching inside with an extension arm and turning the cabinets so the glue flows properly into the joints. This is the best bass I have heard yet in any venue or home driving them with Atma Sphere MA-1 OTLs fed by two MP1s in series. I haven't yet heard Eminent Technologies fan type subwoofers, but they are very expensive and require an additional two add on rooms for cabinets. After you are done, be careful that you don't ruin your guts or make yourself permanently blind due to detached retinas. I am not joking, infrasound in large quantities can hurt you. After a prolonged 16 Hz undertone in an organ solo for several minutes, my bowels actually cut loose, and I am not prone to that. It sure sounds great, though. Adjust your pampers accordingly.

  6. #6
    Senior Member Lee in Montreal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Montréal
    Posts
    2,397
    Quote Originally Posted by Vottboy View Post
    I use a pair of ASH 6118 cabinets each with a 2245H driver in them. When you get the cabinets, remove the stock boat anchor drivers and sell them on Ebay, tear out the wiring and replace with better stuff. You should also glue every seam by reaching inside with an extension arm and turning the cabinets so the glue flows properly into the joints. This is the best bass I have heard yet in any venue or home driving them with Atma Sphere MA-1 OTLs fed by two MP1s in series. I haven't yet heard Eminent Technologies fan type subwoofers, but they are very expensive and require an additional two add on rooms for cabinets. After you are done, be careful that you don't ruin your guts or make yourself permanently blind due to detached retinas. I am not joking, infrasound in large quantities can hurt you. After a prolonged 16 Hz undertone in an organ solo for several minutes, my bowels actually cut loose, and I am not prone to that. It sure sounds great, though. Adjust your pampers accordingly.
    Do you mean you replaced the original 2242H with a 2245?

  7. #7
    Senior Member audiomagnate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Colorado and Georgia
    Posts
    991
    Go big! The best box is no box (infinite baffle).
    Attached Images Attached Images  

  8. #8
    Senior Member Lee in Montreal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Montréal
    Posts
    2,397
    Quote Originally Posted by Vottboy View Post
    When you get the cabinets, remove the stock boat anchor drivers and sell them on Ebay...
    Well, the 2242 is far from being a boat anchor, unless it is literally dead. Nop. It is just better suited for a different range of bass. You don't 16Hz when doing live sound or clubs. ;-)

    BTW If you had measurements of your combo, that would be great. The 2245 has a much larger Vas (29cft-820L) than the 2242 (10cft-283L), and I wonder how it behaves with a small chamber behind.

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    1,704
    Quote Originally Posted by audiomagnate View Post
    Go big! The best box is no box (infinite baffle).
    Now all I need is a fireplace!

  10. #10
    Heather [Senorita member] hjames's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    DC 'burbs
    Posts
    8,085
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffW View Post
    Now all I need is a fireplace!
    Or, so what my friend Steve did -
    build the box ... heck, build 2 of them and stack them in a handy closet ...!
    (He built 2 more later on and has 4 in that stack - but I can't find a picture of his final config right now)

    Attachment 76393
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    2ch: Oppo981, DDE3DAC, JoLida 502CRC, JBL L212, VonSchweikert VR4V
    7.1: Oppo BDP-103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL 4641

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    1,704
    Now all I need is a handy closet!

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    La Habra, California USA
    Posts
    1,529
    I think the Adcom stacks are to keep the subs from moving out.
    When faced with another JBL find, Good mech986 says , JBL Fan mech986 says

  13. #13
    Senior Member quindecima's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    NW, USA
    Posts
    490
    Quote Originally Posted by Vottboy View Post
    I use a pair of ASH 6118 cabinets each with a 2245H driver in them. When you get the cabinets, remove the stock boat anchor drivers and sell them on Ebay, tear out the wiring and replace with better stuff. You should also glue every seam by reaching inside with an extension arm and turning the cabinets so the glue flows properly into the joints. This is the best bass I have heard yet in any venue or home driving them with Atma Sphere MA-1 OTLs fed by two MP1s in series. I haven't yet heard Eminent Technologies fan type subwoofers, but they are very expensive and require an additional two add on rooms for cabinets. After you are done, be careful that you don't ruin your guts or make yourself permanently blind due to detached retinas. I am not joking, infrasound in large quantities can hurt you. After a prolonged 16 Hz undertone in an organ solo for several minutes, my bowels actually cut loose, and I am not prone to that. It sure sounds great, though. Adjust your pampers accordingly.
    NICE!!!!!!!!!! I have two 2245 baskets, I can see a mission coming up

  14. #14
    Senior Member JuniorJBL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Denver
    Posts
    1,681
    Quote Originally Posted by quindecima View Post
    NICE!!!!!!!!!! I have two 2245 baskets, I can see a mission coming up

    Edgewound can help you with that!!
    Always fun learning more.......

  15. #15
    Senior Member JuniorJBL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Denver
    Posts
    1,681
    Quote Originally Posted by hjames View Post
    Or, so what my friend Steve did -
    build the box ... heck, build 2 of them and stack them in a handy closet ...!
    (He built 2 more later on and has 4 in that stack - but I can't find a picture of his final config right now)
    That is very cool!!

    I would love to see the final config!!

    Quote Originally Posted by JeffW View Post
    Now all I need is a handy closet!
    Yep!! That closet is pretty handy!!
    Always fun learning more.......

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Jbl 2245h
    By BillR in forum Lansing Product Technical Help
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 04-23-2010, 10:59 AM
  2. Box for JBL 2245H
    By Niklas Nord in forum Lansing Product DIY Forum
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-22-2003, 01:45 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •