Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: L100 - What's Pushing Selling Prices?

Quote Originally Posted by macaroonie View Post
    I'm making the assumption that the uninformed could look at that speaker and think that the old 4312 is the same beastie , just older.
    And you would be correct..............I "see" this sort of logic applied quite often as a common technique employed by sellers for emphasizing "value"; especially when selling old Klipsch models on the local "craigslist"

Deliberate or not I couldn't say, but it is a definite phenomena

It's gotta be all about nostalgia. I am sure there are some people who heard L100s at a certain time in their life, were blown away by them and think they are the best speaker ever... now they have some extra cash and will spend it freely to capture that dream.

I love mine. I have Foam Trends Burnt Orange Quadrex grilles on them and I listen to them powered by a vintage Marantz receiver when I am in my home office.

As for the 4312E, below is the current price sheet for the speakers here in the US. Not sure why someone would want them over many other $2K pr. speakers, but they are available for those who do.

Widget
    Attached Images Attached Images  

These prices are not that bad. The price is still close to what they sold for new. Try to get that deal on a 69 Porsche. I sold this set for $660 on eBay last year. I expected more.

Name:  l10001.jpg
Views: 638
Size:  125.3 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Don C View Post
    These prices are not that bad. The price is still close to what they sold for new. Try to get that deal on a 69 Porsche. I sold this set for $660 on eBay last year. I expected more.
    you are most likely correct.

L-1's were $273 each..new
    sold my 1969 Porsche 911e for maybe more than new ,,, but not in new condition ..

MAYBE ..the price is just a reflection on the US Dollar ?
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

Quote Originally Posted by Don C View Post
    Haven't seen a pair that nice on ePay for quite a while now.............what did the shipping do to the final cost(s)?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post
    I love mine. I have Foam Trends Burnt Orange Quadrex grilles on them and I listen to them powered by a vintage Marantz receiver when I am in my home office.
    Widget
    Ah so.............I too have found that the old Marantz "22xx" series receivers or a nice old tube integrated or receiver are about the best match for these I have found so far..............smooths off those rough edges!

Quote Originally Posted by Wagner View Post
    Ah so.............I too have found that the old Marantz "22xx" series receivers or a nice old tube integrated or receiver are about the best match for these I have found so far..............smooths off those rough edges!
    Oh, don't get me wrong... from a purely objective standpoint the system sounds far from audiophile, but I still enjoy the hell out of it.

Widget

What about the inflation?

Name:  46150c6f3a.png
Views: 572
Size:  9.8 KB

Quote Originally Posted by martin2395 View Post
    What about the inflation?
    I'm not sure how much effect that has on the value of vintage gear, but it certainly is an interesting fact. In 1970 the JBL L100s were among the more expensive speakers commonly sold. Today $3000 is actually on the lower end… even the black vinyl 4312's are "only" $2000.

All of that aside, the marketplace has really changed since the '70s. Today for the most part only enthusiasts are buying expensive speakers. Where as in the '70s many people bought bookshelf speakers and a receiver today those people are buying iPod docks or the equivalent.

Widget

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post
    All of that aside, the marketplace has really changed since the '70s. Today for the most part only enthusiasts are buying expensive speakers. Where as in the 70s many people bought bookshelf speakers and receiver today those people are buying iPod docks or the equivalent.
    Widget
    that's most likely true , but every time I put a vintage receiver on CL , it goes pretty quick. Most want to play vinyl but don't want those plastic USB TT's , and modern gear usually doesn't have TT inputs.

So they get a decent vintage TT and vintage receiver. Others besides myself feel that "gear of a era" sound best together , hence vintage JBL's fit right into that equation.

Those Marantz 2270's mentioned earlier are going for crazy prices too ....even lowly 2230's.

Greetings, All,

In truth, though I have no real need for a pair of L100's, and very much enjoy our 4411's, IF I could find a nice pair of L100's I could afford, I'd buy them, "just because"!! Back in the day, that was the speaker that many of my fellow musician friends and associates had, and they were rather "something to aspire" to own, back then. Yes, I know they weren't really accurate, and had a definitely forward personality. But, no matter, we all thought they were pretty neat, back then. Years later, I found a single 4312 cabinet, with all the transducers, which I bought for, I think, $20-$25. The woofer worked, but had a tear in the cone, which someone had glued back together. My plan was to use the drivers to make a "sort of" L100, complete with the original foam grill(brown, blue, or orange). Never happened, of course, but that 4312 is still downstairs in The Hobbit Hole, waiting......

As mentioned, I would buy a pair if I could find something I could afford, "just because". I have always loved the special look that the L100 had, and maybe someday, a nice pair will come my way, through trades, or something similar. I really like the photo that Don C posted in his comments about this thread, which look similar to the ones that Widget has, but with different colored foam grills.

Name:  l10001.jpg
Views: 638
Size:  125.3 KB

So, there you have it. Though I fully understand the limitations, and the signature, inaccurate, sound reproduction, I'd like to own a pair of L100's, just like so many others. For what it's worth.....

Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc
    The only thing that can never be taken away from you, is your honor. Cherish it, in yourself, and in others.

they must be following my son around ... He had one of these HK's and currently has the L-100's and SL-1200

"When I was graduating from high school in 1976, what I wanted most was a Harman Kardon 730, a pair of JBL L100s and a Technics SL1200 turntable. That was my dream system. The 730 went for about $400, the JBL’s slightly more and the Technics with a Shure M91ED around $350, so for about $1,200 you could put together a pretty rocking system. Revisiting the 730 with a pair of L100s and my somewhat geeked out SL1200, I’m still amazed at just how musical, valid and relevant this combination sounds."

http://www.tonepublications.com/old-...7ca4e-66854077

And they are in this classic ad, no?
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    had L25,L36,L40,L120,L300,AquariusIV(2),S1,4408 have L65,L100,L222,DorianS12,B380

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    And they are in this classic ad, no?
    boxes are upside down

Just puts the woofer closer to hair level.
    had L25,L36,L40,L120,L300,AquariusIV(2),S1,4408 have L65,L100,L222,DorianS12,B380

Thread Information