Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BSS FDS-366T OMNIDRIVE COMPACT plus

Niklas Nord

BSS FDS-366T OMNIDRIVE COMPACT plus

Would it go easy to skip the built in filter in my s9500 and run
    active crossover with the BSS?

http://www.bss.co.uk/includes/produc...?product_id=30

i know there is some JBL filters and some from other vendors for the
    K2 s9500.. Would it be possible to success with the BSS unit?

it has a digital input, AES and this is perfect couse i can run it from
    my digital AES output on my TacT 2.2x !

BSS 366T compact plus

you could use this, and pretty much do anything needed to be done, as long as you know what it is your trying to do! The BSS 366 does many different slopes and filter shapes, time alignment, EQ, so it can work.

Have you auditioned this, and know for sure your into the sound of the DSP processor? This is important, because the 366T is an expensive piece, and if you buy it and then dont like it.........
    scottyj

BSS is within the Harman family.

There might be a set of presets availiable for the K2.

If there is not-I would think its a bit embarassing.JBL should have presets availiable for all of its intermeshing product lines.

Course that would mean a preset within the DBX Driverack-UUGGHHH-Horrors

Oldmics

Niklas Nord
    is the DBX a better unit?
    I thought the BSS was the bes loudspeakerprocessor on the planet

If you just GOT to go digital!

Quote Originally Posted by Niklas Nord
    The BSS and XTA units are the best! And for that you pay.

As for what you " think " is the best loudspeakerprocessor on the planet, I advise you to do some serious listening, and do your homework, BEFORE you spend your money! The 366T is close to $4000 here, I have priced it, as I was considering going digital myself!

I am not going to debate the sonic merits or disadvantages of the unit, but I will tell you the 366T does have many features you probably dont need and will never use! These features add to the cost of the unit, I mean do you really need to able to store 60 preset programs? If you are a tour sound company where you do various arenas and venues on a regular basis, yes, you got your programs already setup for a particular place, saves time! Of course, you might be thinking of having preset parameters for using your K2,s in every different room of your house, I dont know.

You have to hear it on your speakers before you spend this much money!
    scottyj

I heard an Omidrive at the quality Venue with a Big Band (and sound engineer) I trust on Sunday.

Impressive but I would also check out the DEQX at E Speakers.

Ian

For what it's worth, the JBL DSC 280 and 260 are supposedly rebranded BSS units. I guess this stands to reason since BSS is a Harman company (as is DBX).
    Regards

Don McRitchie

Its true!

Quote Originally Posted by Don McRitchie
    For what it's worth, the JBL DSC 280 and 260 are supposedly rebranded BSS units. I guess this stands to reason since BSS is a Harman company (as is DBX).
    The JBL units are infact the BSS units!

I still say you have to audition the DSP units, BEFORE you buy them! If you can get someone to let you listen to one at your home for a week or two, then you will know what you need to know!
    scottyj

Deqx

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Mackenzie
    I heard an Omidrive at the quality Venue with a Big Band (and sound engineer) I trust on Sunday.

Impressive but I would also check out the DEQX at E Speakers.

Ian
    I am looking at this and have sent for more info on this interesting unit! 100db slopes, up to 300db slopes! Wow, talk about no overlap!

One thing I did notice is the unbalanced RCA ins and outs on the DEQX PDC 2.6, making it quite easy to install on a home system!

Ian, tell us more on its sound quality, as your the man who has heard this piece!
    scottyj

RIP 2009
    I have a JBL DSC260A, (updated version of the DSC260), that I'm willing to loan out for audition, though I'm not sure I want to sell it.

I suggest anyone really interested download the manual from the jblpro site, and after thoroughly reading it, decide if you're willing to go through all the hoops to program it, ('ask Widget about this ). If you're still interested, I'll possibly send it out for you to try, (you pay shipping an insurance both ways), as long as you're an active regular member of the site in good standing, and are willing to post a comprehensive review here.

PM me if seriously interested.

John

Quote Originally Posted by Niklas Nord
    Niklas check out the DEQX.

http://www.deqx.com/dsp-product/PDC26P-Preamp.html

I believe it is the current best on the planet and audiophiles I know who generally hate digital are raving about it. It can be ordered as a preamp so that it will give you more EQ than you would ever want along with time alignment, group delay control, 3-way crossover and more. It is approximately $3500 set up as a preamp but it replaces your crossovers, EQs, and preamp, so it really is well worth it.

Widget
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Hmm

Interesting! Have you heard it Mr.Widget? If so what are your impressions of it,s sonic character?

Got interesting features and looks pretty cool, and tamperproof!
    scottyj

No, I haven't heard it yet. People I respect have heard it and used it extensively and told me that I should get one. I am not ready (or able) to drop $3500 on an experiment at the moment.

If the DEQX isn't the digital front end in my future, there will be a time in the not too distant future when there will be affordable digital front ends with amazing sound and control like this model.

Download the white paper. This thing is amazingly flexible. I expect the technology will only get better and cheaper. Remember calculators in the 70's.

Widget

Ill agree!

We,ve discussed digital before, and I even say that at some point they will come out with something that really works!

I can relate to not wanting to drop $3500 on an experiment, it just reminds me of when I bought the BSS FDS-388 back in `97, and sold it in `98! And took quite a loss at that!

But I still have an eye to the future, at some point somebody has to come up with converters and algorithms that actually do what they should. Maybe DEQX already has, I have looked at this, and it does many things, and I believe when someone says they have it on good account from those they trust, and THAT will get me to investigate further, and seek a proper audition, but audition it in MY system I must!

Its like I am half stuck on what I know and have, because it does work so well, and my other half wants to dive into the future of technology!

This is not to say that Digital audio will not come into its own, as just 10 years ago a CD was only good as a drink coaster, IMHO, but now they are much improved, and I do play CD,s these days! Still play records too, new ones at that, mostly imports! Not to mention SACD which most agree is " that " good, including myself!

I would like to hear this unit, though!
    scottyj

Alex Lancaster
    Fortunately, We have a $ or whatever constraint, it would not be fun otherwise, We would really be in a funny farm.

Thread Information