Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Improvements I would like to see

Improvements I would like to see

I've been visiting this forum for quite awhile, and find it very useful. Unfortunately, I seldom visit or post anything. I usually run across a post from here while researching JBL speakers and systems. Until now I hadn't really given any thought to why I seldom visit a forum where the topic of discussion is very interesting to me. The answer was at once obvious: I mostly use my smartphone (phablet) for social interaction. As a matter of statistical fact the vast majority of forum users on the Internet interact via their smartphones using the Tapatalk app, or a proprietary app written specifically for the forum.

Another thing missing is a dynamic content mobile friendly home page similar to that of Home Theater Shack. Wouldn't it be nice to simply browse the home page and see all the latest posts, along with all the latest product announcements from JBL? It would also provide a place for user written articles about restoration projects, tips, tweeks, and reviews.

I suspect that these improvements might also result in Harman International throwing marketing dollars towards the support and maintenance of the site and forum.

I would be willing to help improve the site, but don't know who to contact. If there is any interest please feel free to contact me.
    The Music Man's equipment: Sony AM radio

I'm sure I'm missing something, but I read your post while in line at Chipotle using my phone with no special apps. I took a screenshot of how I keep track of new posts, uploaded it and posted it all before my burrito was made.

Widget
    Attached Images Attached Images  

enjoy your meal!

Quote Originally Posted by antoninus9 View Post
    Until now I hadn't really given any thought to why I seldom visit a forum where the topic of discussion is very interesting to me. The answer was at once obvious: I mostly use my smartphone (phablet) for social interaction. As a matter of statistical fact the vast majority of forum users on the Internet interact via their smartphones using the Tapatalk app, or a proprietary app written specifically for the forum.

Another thing missing is a dynamic content mobile friendly home page similar to that of Home Theater Shack. Wouldn't it be nice to simply browse the home page and see all the latest posts, along with all the latest product announcements from JBL? It would also provide a place for user written articles about restoration projects, tips, tweeks, and reviews.

I suspect that these improvements might also result in Harman International throwing marketing dollars towards the support and maintenance of the site and forum.

I would be willing to help improve the site, but don't know who to contact. If there is any interest please feel free to contact me.
    I don't really know where to start. If you like typing on your cell phone then good for you. I find it rather exasperating to try to put my thoughts down in a readable manner typing on a phone. To each their own. I have no issue using the phone to keep up with this forum when traveling but it's nowhere near as satisfying as when I use my laptop. Like Widget, I open to the What's New link and have no issue with the information or the presentation.

You idea of "improvements" should be filed in the round file under the heading "if it ain't broke . . . "

Furthermore, I'd suggest statistics would just as likely show that the majority of Internet forum users and tweeters are vapid, shallow folks who deal in soundbites and updating their status. As frequently as we might go off-topic here, there's a sense of community and camaraderie that doesn't exist in the world where your social standing is determined by your number of followers. This is the Lansing forum, not the Kardashian forum.

You need to ask yourself whether your purpose in participating is to help others learn about JBL, to learn yourself, or to simply enhance your social standing. The Internet is a huge place with corners for every purpose. IMNSHO, this place works fine for those with a serious interest in all things Lansing just the way it is. For everything else there's Twitter, Facebook, and all the other tripe you youngsters call social interaction these days.

Now get off my lawn!
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

As a matter of statistical fact the vast majority of forum users on the Internet interact via their smartphones using the Tapatalk app, or a proprietary app written specifically for the forum.
    I don't know this to be fact. Can you post a link to that source ?

I really suspect ..not

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet....php?do=donate
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

Hi All;

It looks like antoninus9 has been a member for five or six years with only 16 posts? Hopefully Widgets help will get him going. That's how I jump in here is with the what's new button, mostly on my phone as well.

I don't know what is meant by active content but I for one delight in the fact that there are no popups or advertising at all here. Web pages with all kinds of stuff moving around on the screen seriously distracts me and reminds me of how far and fast we have slid into Idiocracy.

I also seriously don't get the if you want to help out shut the hell up and donate attitude. That would get a straight FU out of me either on a web page or to your face.

Barry.
    If we knew what the hell we were doing, we wouldn't call it research would we.

Please allow me to apologize to those whom I've obviously offended, and to offer up some background. I'm a computer engineer with a background in network security and web development. I had hoped that my input would be helpful in growing the community. I'm actually not so young, and probably older than most of you.

It is a fact that there are more mobile devices (smartphones) than desktop computers on the Internet. Globally, Android has the largest share, but in the USA iOS and Android are virtually tied. Windows Desktops have about 90% of the desktop market, with all other dividing up the remaining 10%.

I'm not a Facebook user. "Tweeters" or Twitter users tend to be more information seeking than social, as twitter acts as a feed of events, ideas, etc. I do not have a Twitter account either, as I prefer RSS feeds (old school, but it works for me.)

"Dynamic Content" does not refer to ads or pop-ups (I hate both). It's taking the latest RSS news fed from JBL, JBL Pro, and the most recent posts from this forum and showing them on the home page. It's a way of allowing users to see the latest from this site and JBL in one glance.

The assumption that other ways to utilize technology is only for "vapid, shallow folks who deal in soundbites" is counter to the fact that the pace of scientific and engineering achievements has exploded thanks, in part, to our improved ability to communicate both socially and academically as a global community.

Why would I donate either time or money to a community where I've been asked to "get off my lawn!"

I wish all of you the best.

Goodbye.

Why would I donate either time or money to a community where I've been asked to "get off my lawn!"

Goodbye.
    You're obviously very accomplished in your field and know your business. You would benefit from getting out more and then you'd grok the significance of the emoticon I used as well as the phrase which implies the way the proverbial grumpy old man warns kids away.

Personally, I think the last thing I need is an RSS feed of the latest from Harman. I have Seawolf's "JBL Turkey" thread if I want to see how low my favorite speaker company's parent has sunk.

This site is all about sharing ideas. Yours are no less important than anyone else's. Many bright people don't seem to possess the gene that allows them to see how they come across to others. For you to pop in and suggest an overhaul of something many of us are more than satisfied with already was bound to put some on the defensive. The fact that you failed to catch the humor in the responses should indicate you, too, might need to lighten up.

Just my thoughts. Hope you'll decide to come back and participate. Or not. Your call.
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Please allow me to apologize to those whom I've obviously offended...
    No apologies needed. A flack jacket is useful around here at times though...

Widget

One important element missed here is that this is a fan based site, not an official arm of the Harman Industries.
    Lotta people seem to miss that fact somehow. This is the Lansing HERITAGE site - generally concerned with the older stuff.
    There are some newer things doing with Corporate that are intriguing - just as there are somethings that are not.
    Some of the new technologies and designs are interesting as well - just not all of them.

Please allow me to apologize to those whom I've obviously offended, and to offer up some background. I'm a computer engineer with a background in network security and web development. I had hoped that my input would be helpful in growing the community. I'm actually not so young, and probably older than most of you.

It is a fact that there are more mobile devices (smartphones) than desktop computers on the Internet. Globally, Android has the largest share, but in the USA iOS and Android are virtually tied. Windows Desktops have about 90% of the desktop market, with all other dividing up the remaining 10%.

I'm not a Facebook user. "Tweeters" or Twitter users tend to be more information seeking than social, as twitter acts as a feed of events, ideas, etc. I do not have a Twitter account either, as I prefer RSS feeds (old school, but it works for me.)

"Dynamic Content" does not refer to ads or pop-ups (I hate both). It's taking the latest RSS news fed from JBL, JBL Pro, and the most recent posts from this forum and showing them on the home page. It's a way of allowing users to see the latest from this site and JBL in one glance.

The assumption that other ways to utilize technology is only for "vapid, shallow folks who deal in soundbites" is counter to the fact that the pace of scientific and engineering achievements has exploded thanks, in part, to our improved ability to communicate both socially and academically as a global community.

Goodbye.
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

As others have said ..Lansing HERITAGE forum is mainly about VINTAGE Lansing products. Sure there are mentions of current HAR products , but aside from plastic MP3 gear they do not market to this audience.

HAR can make high quality gear and JBL Pro is proof of this , but most of it is exported and difficult to buy here.

HAR generally does not support vintage JBL very well and so I really can't see them offering any support to this site.

Sometimes humor on the web is read differently by different people. Have been accused of not picking up on it myself sometimes. BMWCCA did include a winking emoticon which could have been a clue. His general tone did indicate non-seriousness (but I have been reading his posts for some time, so may have an advantage over the OP)

No need to disappear because of the reactions. You seem to have ideas to offer and sometimes need thick skin here to survive the snipes, snarks & snopes.

For the poster who threatens a FU (is that FY ?) to my face, plse PM me and I'll give you an address.
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

I agree that Harman International has made some poor business decisions regarding JBL. As a corporation (HAR) is beholden to its stock holders who are comprised primarily of large mutual funds. The large stake holders get to appoint the members of the Board of Directors who, in turn, select the executives to lead the company. The Internet is a very powerful medium for driving corporate policy, especially when faced with negative publicity. The present Luddite mentality on this forum is counter-productive to the desires of its members. If you want JBL to manufacture replacement parts for older systems, and offer high quality consumer products, then you need to make yourselves heard through every venue on the Internet. You also need to grow your community using every means possible. When you have enough presence (mass), you will get the attention of the Board.

Or, you can continue to fill your closets with replacement parts from eBay, and bemoan the present state of affairs at JBL, while realizing these sentiments fall on deaf ears at Harman International.

As a case in point consider Microsoft. For the past decade they ignored please from the developer community and their user base to make the necessary changes required for the mass movement towards mobile systems. While profits continued to rise, the stake holders felt threatened by the community and forced Board changes and a shake-up of the executive staff. Microsoft is far larger than Harman International. If the developer and user community can drive changes at Microsoft, an even smaller group can force changes at Harman.

As the fan-base of JBL speakers you have a voice, but you have to be able to speak much louder than you do now. The changes I recommended were the first steps necessary in gaining that louder voice.

The present Luddite mentality on this forum is counter-productive to the desires of its members.
    I'm pretty happy with my Luddite ways. I even still spin the black discs.

As for trying to get Harman to give a damn... we've jumped up and down like petulant children on this topic for years. Our interests are supported and shared by many in the engineering department, but the fact is the gear we are interested in is financially a rounding error for Harman. Hard to grab the attention of shareholders with that kind of clout.

Widget

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post
    I'm pretty happy with my Luddite ways. I even still spin the black discs.

As for trying to get Harman to give a damn... we've jumped up and down like petulant children on this topic for years. Our interests are supported and shared by many in the engineering department, but the fact is the gear we are interested in is financially a rounding error for Harman. Hard to grab the attention of shareholders with that kind of clout.

Widget
    I still spin black discs too.

You're right that the consumer home speaker division is a small fraction of net income at JBL, but this perspective is much too tightly focused. The site and forum needs to broaden its view to encompass all aspects of JBL's business. For instance, if you had a dynamic front end, and a user did a review of the latest JBL Pro monitor, it would get attention. If it was a bad review, even more-so.

While you personally might not care about JBL Pro monitors, there are many out there who do, and if offered a place at the table (so-to-speak), they would join your community. The larger and more all-encompassing the community becomes, the louder its voice will be. This is but one example.

Consider this... There are many car enthusiast forums around the net. They have become very popular with owners. So much so that GM, Ford, etc. now have full-time employees to monitor them and offer feedback and assistance. This forum has the potential to be the same with JBL.

Think the last folks who made a big ta-do about buying Pro Monitors wound up with a pair of Bluefaced monitors
    Harman makes for the asian market and doesn't actually sell stateside. I won't go into whether they are "really"
    pro monitors or just pro-STYLE monitors, but they were warmly received by the crowd here - with great interest.

I still spin black discs too.

You're right that the consumer home speaker division is a small fraction of net income at JBL, but this perspective is much too tightly focused. The site and forum needs to broaden its view to encompass all aspects of JBL's business. For instance, if you had a dynamic front end, and a user did a review of the latest JBL Pro monitor, it would get attention. If it was a bad review, even more-so.

While you personally might not care about JBL Pro monitors, there are many out there who do, and if offered a place at the table (so-to-speak), they would join your community. The larger and more all-encompassing the community becomes, the louder its voice will be. This is but one example.

Consider this... There are many car enthusiast forums around the net. They have become very popular with owners. So much so that GM, Ford, etc. now have full-time employees to monitor them and offer feedback and assistance. This forum has the potential to be the same with JBL.
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Thread Information