Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: modern JBL Pro for in-home use? opinions?

modern JBL Pro for in-home use? opinions?

so, I'm scanning Amazon to see what exactly JBL sells these days... despite seeing mostly ipod docking stations and headphones, I came across this:
    http://www.amazon.com/JBL-SRX835P-20...7&keywords=jbl

http://jblpro.com/www/products/porta...p#.VRwhTGNyZyI

hmm... a Pair would be less than I could get vintage 434X-type speakers for, AND they have the amps built in. But how do they sound?? I don't care about the ugly factor...although I actually like how these look.

Or this complete system looks interesting:
    http://www.amazon.com/JBL-Powered-Sp...2&keywords=jbl

Are there other modern (as in the last 10 years or so...) JBL pro-sound speakers out out there that are worth looking for? looking for opinions...

Absolutely! I used to use three of the MRX512's as theater LCR's. Then I got an AM6215/95 for the center. Now I have a trio of 4622's taken from a defunct cinema. A few over on AVS have recently ordered the newer 4722n's.

If you've been following the thread here, the M2 Master Reference Monitor system.

http://harmanprogroup.blogspot.com/2...oduces-m2.html
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

wrager, thanks for the 1st hand knowledge! This is new territory for me, so knowing what worked for others helps!

BMWCCA, I've seen the M2 Master Reference thread...but that's way up there in cost isn't it, compared to the PA stuff?
    or maybe not.....
    http://jblpro.com/www/products/tour-...p#.VR1JsGNyZyI
    $8k each I think??

this is more affordable....
    http://www.amazon.com/JBL-PRX735-Thr...E8QNX8MHX5K9E4

looks like I have some more digging around to do..

With proper DSP I would think you could make them sound pretty good.
    Always fun learning more.......

Mctwins
    Hallo!

I have PRX635 and 618S-XLF in my living room and the sound is amazingly good.

Are you gonna use sub or only the mains? It depends how big your room is.....don't worry, you will have enough SPL level.

I would go with either PRX735 series or SRX835P...the SRX looks very good!!

Can't find driver listing for the New SRX8 series, anyone know what kind of drivers used in them? Only I can find is 2432 HF driver

Hi mac,
    yes If you go for them let us know...
    in the mean time "I saw this and I thought of you" (remember this old add on Tv for british post ?...)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bsB1PB2idKc
    david

I don't have that kind of loose change David. The reason I posted that link is that both the 12" and 15" version have dual coil woofers and most importantly the D2 drive unit.
    They both run from the Crown Itech system or the BSS as a plug and play fully active setup.
    Getting great reviews in the pro audio press.. Prices are not overly scary. Varies depending where you live.

Name:  JBL-VTX-f15_front_nogrill.jpg
Views: 1582
Size:  60.2 KB

Well me neither for the time being... I am awaiting the 4430 from complete upgrade.... the BDA2 is fantastic gave me the bass i wanted
    I just saw the M2 for 5000 € (the unit of course), and not the ridiculous 8600 € shops were asking earlier! and this at one stupid little mile from my house.....

Quote Originally Posted by davidpou View Post
    I just saw the M2 for 5000 € (the unit of course), and not the ridiculous 8600 € shops were asking earlier! and this at one stupid little mile from my house.....
    Interesting. Would you mind posting a link?

distortion specs??

Thanks for all the advice!

I've dug around and have found several versions of the 2-way and 3-way horn systems that I think would work for me. I'm seeing that the JRX line is to be avoided, except maybe used as a way to get cabinets to fill with better drivers! haha..
    The PRX635 looks to be good for me, but finding used pairs might take time, and in the end the new 735 is probably a better product for only a bit more money. I'd prefer a passive version (as I already have 3 100W stereo amps) but the passive versions of these use different drivers, and there is no 3-way passive version of the 735. The SRX835 looks fantastic, and also grossly overkill for my needs!

BUT.... I see no distortion specs for these. Is this a problem? Should I assume that JBL would not spec the built in amps at 10% distortion, or the peak SPL (which is over 130dB) at 10% distortion?? I'm guessing that for in-home use distortion would be very low.

These would go in a 20x65 ft main room, with a vaulted ceiling opening up into an upstairs floor, so the actual room volume is pretty big (maybe over 20,000 cubic feet?)

Quote Originally Posted by Mctwins View Post
    Hallo!

I have PRX635 and 618S-XLF in my living room and the sound is amazingly good.

Are you gonna use sub or only the mains? It depends how big your room is.....don't worry, you will have enough SPL level.

I would go with either PRX735 series or SRX835P...the SRX looks very good!!

Interesting thread.

I've been looking at the SRX835p for home use in large living room. They seem a good middle ground between the PRX700 series and the VP series. I can get them at cost from local agent that owes some favours and they seem incredible value even at the full retail price...

I'll be hopefully able to demo some of the SRX800 series in a few weeks when they hit the UK. Does anyone know how quiet these speakers generally are in terms of "self noise" hiss?

Also, the spec's seems to state that the cooling fans only come on under heavier loads that are unlikely in the home. Can anyone who's actually used them confirm if they are normally off or is there an idle setting?

I've got some 250Ti' and they just aren't working at my 15ft listening distance. Too wide dispersion and the LF needs some tweaking and I'd prefer to got horns and an onboard DSP plug'n'play setup.

Andy

Mctwins
    Hallo!

If I where you guy's I would go for SRX800 series no doubt.

Thread Information