View Poll Results: Should this forum try out the "Reputation" feature?

Voters
34. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

6 17.65%
  • No

28 82.35%

Thread: Reputation Feature Poll

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Reputation Feature Poll

OK. Here’s the report on what the user reputation feature is all about. The primary function appears to be educating newbies as to which members are considered experts by their peers. A secondary feature is that it helps moderate and increase the utility of the forum by rewarding positive contributions and punishing deleterious behavior. This is accomplished using two measures – reputation points and reputation power. The dinking we played with either increases or decreases each user’s reputation points. As you gain points, you gain power. As you lose points, you lose power. This power can be translated into rewards such as increased permissions. For example, as you gain more power, you could be assigned more PM space or the ability to post larger attachments. Conversely, you can lose posting privileges that vary in scope depending on the depth of negative points you sink into.

The more power you gain, the more influence your "dinking" has on others. For example, users with average power can only add or subtract 1 point from a user with each dink. Trusted users with the highest power could add or subtract as many as 10 points with each dink. This, and a number of checks and balances, has been put in place to prevent abuse. Only trusted, high reputation member can really influence the reputation of others. To begin with, newbies are not allowed to dink anyone. You have to have at least 100 posts (all such thresholds are editable by me) to be given permission to dink, and then it is at the low level. There is a restriction on the total number of posts per day that a member can dink (currently set at 10) and there is a restriction on the minimum number of other users you dink before you can dink a given user again (currently set at 20).

Right now, I am agnostic on whether this whole reputation feature is worthwhile and I will leave it to a member vote to determine if it is to be tried here.
    Regards

Don McRitchie

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by Don McRitchie
    The more power you gain, the more influence your "dinking" has on others. ... Trusted users with the highest power could add or subtract as many as 10 points with each dink.
    Holyshit. "Let them eat cake..." comes to mind, and the guillotine is at-the-ready.

Infantile, and reeks of encouraging "Lord of the Flies" murderous cliques and Survivor Island power-trip alliances which overlap, are not exclusive and fraught with deceit.

Final word from me: If this is enabled, I'm out.
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

Don,

Why not raise everyones limits to the dinked-up max? Resources don't appear to be a problem.

John

Don,
    I certainly am appreciative of the hard work you and John Nebel put into maintaining one of the best forums on the internet. In my oppinion the reputration feature could stifle the free exchange of ideas. Anyone who reads the forum posts can tell who the reputable experts on this site are. Most of them use facts from published works and scientific data to support their oppinions and conclusions. But you never know someone out of the blue may and has come up with ideas that just work. Although I will accept the decision of the majority I can see the possibility of abuse using this feature.

lfh
    Points and power... IMO such things belong to games...

ok

I see how this feature could wind up becoming abused, and also could scare away newbies from posting, if they are made to feel like they dont know enough!

This forum does have its resident gurus about crossover design, box tuning, and everything else, but we have also been a very open forum in welcoming newbies aboard. I dont see any reason to disturb the balance of " experts " to " enthusiasts " to " beginners " ratio!

The reputation feature could promote a class system where some are considered Royalty and others are considered farmers, and this would promote an air of snobbiness on the forum! Not a good thing!

Even though I initially did vote for the reputation feature to be turned on, I understand the points being made, and wish I could change my vote!

We share a vast amount of knowledge, and skills on this forum, and people come here to learn and like when they do something that works out better than what they could go to the store and buy today! I have been told by younger people that they are amazed at what they got off Ebay ( JBL ) and what to do with it, and that they learn alot from this forum, and thats important.

Toss the reputation feature, we dont need it!
    scottyj

Even though I'm one of the people that probably could stand to "gain" by such a system (at least in theory), I don't think it's a good idea. No need to bring "power struggles" into the board. I think that people here can already figure out, pretty quickly, who the people with genuinely good info and expertise are here... they don't need to be "hand-held" or "graded".

In short, power corrupts, and all that. No need to potentially "concentrate" power...

Regards,
    Gordon.

Obsolete
    Quote Originally Posted by boputnam
    Holyshit. "Let them eat cake..." comes to mind, and the guillotine is at-the-ready.

Infantile, and reeks of encouraging "Lord of the Flies" murderous cliques and Survivor Island power-trip alliances which overlap, are not exclusive and fraught with deceit.

Final word from me: If this is enabled, I'm out.
    I would prefer you stay and help me dink every post made. I will say the dink fest would be more fun if it had a more dire air about it. The gay little pastel orange dashes for "worst reputation" are... well, gay. If we can't have a "Spawn from Hell" icon that gets uglier and uglier the worse the rep gets can we at least have the lame little dashes a nice, fresh, deep blood red?

Smile O.K., then,

If 10 dinks = 1 whack,

I'm a whacker wannabe.

Apparently, there's more $$$$ in games than videos, anyway.

May I have another, please?

Ut, oh, ... will Google find this?

Alex Lancaster
    I love all this fussing, flustering and generally f ´ing arround, keep it up, please.

Keep it as it is

IT IS A GREAT FORUM

Thread Information