Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Improvements I would like to see

Quote Originally Posted by antoninus9 View Post
    This forum most likely uses MySQL as a back end to power VBulletin. So, going to a dynamic or responsive design would have no impact at all. From a technology perspective all of this is really simple. We're not running calculations through a high speed interface for a brokerage firm, or astrophysics lab.

Also, this technology is far from being "unknown". It's used by millions of sites across the net.

Could it be that all of this FUD (Fear, Uncertainty, and Doubt) is actually the fears of the existing membership regarding new users joining the forum? You don't want to see it grow beyond what it is now? If that's the case, then no technology can alter the course of things.
    I've worked with Drupal and number of more complex CMS packages -
    then again, I'm not trying to prove anything or to sell anything here.
    This site is provided as a courtesy from folks who DO manage it and have a busy schedule -

See, its not my circus, not my monkees.

have a nice day
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Who would implement these changes?
    As I understand it the website is already graciously hosted and administered...

Quote Originally Posted by hjames View Post
    I've worked with Drupal and number of more complex CMS packages -
    then again, I'm not trying to prove anything or to sell anything here.
    If this is true, then you were well aware that the technology wasn't "unknown," and that it's been in widespread use for a long time. It seems we all have our own agendas.

Let me make my agenda clear, if I haven't already done so. I believe that JBL has an ethical responsibility to support its loyal customers and fans. Throwing them under the bus by discontinuing replacement parts, not only questions the integrity of the company, but builds mistrust among fans and potential customers. There's already grumblings in the Pro Audio community regarding this. As a long time JBL user it would be difficult for me to shell out thousands of dollars on any new speakers because I'm concerned about parts availability. I'm sure many of you are frustrated by the same fears.

This forum has the potential to get the attention of the leadership at JBL, but that may not be the direction the owner or members want to take. All I can offer is my assistance, if you want to move in that direction.
    The Music Man's equipment: Sony AM radio

But what does that do for the existing Vbulletin software and database the site owners have running?
    I don't think they want to switch the whole existing site to some unknown design -
    By "unknown" I meant unknown to the folks who actually manage and administer this site.

I do not have their ear, not they mine ...

VBulletin is already in place and paid for, and that may be fine to them.
    We both know there are plenty of other open source or commercial packages available -
    I don't know if Mashable or drupal or any other software is something they want to convert to, sort out and manage ...
    Its their time and they have been gracious enough to run this site for all who come here -
    its NOT A HARMAN/JBL OWNED SITE

A number of folks have tried to explain this to you, yet you keep pounding the drum.

if you want to affect change at JBL/HARMAN, write the Company!!
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4

Let's assume for the moment that the forum owner(s?) have no interest in any of this.

1. Do the members of the forum agree that JBL should supply parts?
    2. Do the members of the forum feel that JBL is moving in the wrong direction with its consumer products?
    3. Do the members of the forum feel that a site should exist to support their needs and concerns?

I can easily build a new site on my server, but I don't want to manage a forum. In other words, do any of you want to moderate, etc? It would only be worth my time, if others feel the same as I do.

If the owner(s) of this site/forum want to do this, then I'm happy to assist. Perhaps others would be too? From my perspective improving this site/forum is the best and easiest choice.

...if you want to affect change at JBL/HARMAN, write the Company!!
    I would suggest the best way to get traction on the JBL support crusade is to start a Facebook page or whatever the hell they call it... I'm not a Facebook user but a Facebook presence where millions of people can see your concerns and chime in will get their attention. I am positive that Harman monitors Facebook closely.

Harman is definitely aware of this site, but due to our size I don't think our opinions are important in their decision making process. If we were to grow this site exponentially to the size where does matter to Harman, it would no longer be this site… it would lose the focus that makes it unusual on the web.

Widget

Well, the official JBL Page is here:

https://www.facebook.com/JBL

And there already IS a Vintage JBL Facebook page

https://www.facebook.com/groups/52690477971/

Someone could start a JBL Heritage facebook page easily enough ...

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post
    If we were to grow this site exponentially to the size where does matter to Harman, it would no longer be this site… it would lose the focus that makes it unusual on the web.

Widget
    That's a very real possibility, and something that should be openly discussed. It comes down to what you feel is more important: A small tight-knit community of JBL fans, or a web presence that enables the community to have a voice. There is no right or wrong answer here. It's a matter of what's important to the individual members. I realize that I'm probably in the minority, but in many ways we share common interests such as parts availability. When I started this thread I wrongly assumed that these changes would benefit everyone in the community, but am now beginning to see that while there are benefits, there are also drawbacks.

While Facebook, Twitter, etc. would be a necessary part of a larger strategy, simply adding a Facebook page probably wouldn't get much traction.

United Corporate States of Neo-Feudal Amurica, Inc.
    Quote Originally Posted by SEAWOLF97 View Post
    fair enough ... how 'bout trying "Lansing High School" 3x ..fast ??
    Was j/k there man, since my other post may have come off a bit grumpy to antoninus I wanted to lighten it up a bit. (:

I'm old, and trying to type this on a smartphone. Neither is a good thing.

I like the idea of advancing the cause the OP is presenting, and also having a more mobile friendly experience. If he/she is willing to work with Don, and Don is willing to update, what's the harm? This all just reminds me I'm overdue for a donation.

Misconception ?

1. I like the way this forum is performed (, I know by "Don") and there is a decision for a specific software "vBulletin".
    This forum is carefully maintained with moderate changes over the years. For me there is no need to use a special app for a handheld whatsoever.

2. The german users of VISATON products have a forum, which is run by vBulletin as well - very clear look witout any gimmicks. This forum is linked within the VISATON site. But I am wondering whether it would be advantageous, if any shareholders would have an influence on Lansing Heritage.

Quote Originally Posted by antoninus9 View Post
    That's a very real possibility, and something that should be openly discussed. It comes down to what you feel is more important: A small tight-knit community of JBL fans, or a web presence that enables the community to have a voice. There is no right or wrong answer here. It's a matter of what's important to the individual members. I realize that I'm probably in the minority, but in many ways we share common interests such as parts availability. When I started this thread I wrongly assumed that these changes would benefit everyone in the community, but am now beginning to see that while there are benefits, there are also drawbacks.
    Why does it have to be an "either/or" proposition? If you want an "activist" site then, by all means, create one. I'd suggest that changing this site to achieve your goals would not be the desire of the members or the owners and moderators. Polling the members won't create a referendum. We are guests here and, simply, those who enjoy the hospitality and assistance visit the site, participate in the dialogue, and contribute funds to pay for the operation costs—because we like what we have!

I'm not saying those here wouldn't participate in an activist, consumerist form of an online JBL group. I am saying it doesn't and shouldn't require this site to change to further such a vision.
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

I'm not the enemy BMWCCA. I'm just a fan of JBL speakers who, like you, wants to continue enjoying my hobby. It's inaccurate to presume my comments are some sort of referendum, when I'm merely trying to understand the level of interest within the community. It's also wrong to assume that this is an "either/or" proposition. It's an idea of what's possible. That you disagree with my idea is clearly understood.

Apparently, "Forum Feedback" should include a warning: "Say anything you want but do not offer any new ideas."

Quote Originally Posted by SEAWOLF97 View Post
    too bad that few will make the connection with your new avatar.
    That seems rather insulting regarding the intelligence and capabilities of other members of the forum. I'd venture to guess that they understood quite well.

Thread Information